1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do You Think Rewriting Content Is Plagiarism?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by amanstyle, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Nice ploy if you don't like the criticism/opinions, then simply attack the person's character. @PassGoSEO not only tells it like it is, but is one of the finest writers on this site. Try again, and this time make an attempt not to fail.;)

Spoiltdiva, Dec 17, 2013 IP
    PassGoSEO likes this.
  2. PassGoSEO

PassGoSEO Member

Best Answers:
    I only criticise posters who try to push DP members down the wrong path - i.e. a path that will end them up in a world of pain. Posters who somehow think that stealing other people's content is in some way justifiable, because of some crazy assed 'universal truth' or whatever; we ALL have a duty to correct that opinion, even YOU. After all, your sig claims that you teach article writing, since 2004. You should understand that stealing is wrong, period.

And BTW, seeing as you 'teach article writing', I feel obliged to help you a little. Your previous post is full of grammatical errors - let me help.

I have read many of your posts and you are just criticizing other posters and not doing the forum any good. You are pointlessly taking everyone in the wrong direction. I think this is your nature and neither I nor anyone else can change it.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    PassGoSEO, Dec 17, 2013 IP
  3. Afsary Junaid

Afsary Junaid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with all others, definitely yes, You are using someone's idea, no matter how many flavor you add, still it's someone's core creation.

Afsary Junaid, Dec 18, 2013 IP
  4. ZealousArticles

ZealousArticles Peon

Best Answers:
    I, personally don't believe it is. It's simply adding words and removing words until the piece does not even resemble it's former self any more.

ZealousArticles, Dec 23, 2013 IP
  5. PassGoSEO

PassGoSEO Member

Best Answers:
    So... you believe that you'd be OK legally if you republished 'The Hunger Games', but just renamed the main character to 'Lulu' then?

PassGoSEO, Dec 24, 2013 IP
  6. Densely

Densely Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Weird but True:
    Rewrite from just one article/source: Plagiarism
    Rewrite from several sources: Research
    Rewrite from Thousands of sources: You will get Noble Prize

Densely, Jan 1, 2014 IP
  7. PassGoSEO

PassGoSEO Member

Best Answers:
    Rewrite from just one article/source: GOOGLEBAN
    Rewrite from several sources: Page 9 of the SERPS
    Rewrite from Thousands of sources: Page 1 of the SERPS

PassGoSEO, Jan 1, 2014 IP
  8. chriswriter

chriswriter Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Many people however doesn't care about Google banning, they use black hat tricks to get people landing in non-banned domains that redirects to the crap plagiarism site.

Similarly they don't cared page 9 on the SERPS because they pay Adwords to get positioned above all results, and writing from thousands of sources seems far from being what they want.

I'd better second the original Densely's insight.

chriswriter, Jan 1, 2014 IP
  9. PassGoSEO

PassGoSEO Member

Best Answers:
    Google, unfortunately, is still the major source of traffic for most websites.

And if you are using paid advertising, why would you be interested in stealing content in the first place??? Large as my brain is, I'm afraid I don't really understand what it is you are suggesting.

PassGoSEO, Jan 2, 2014 IP
  10. kmm2908

kmm2908 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Plagiarism is the "wrongful appropriation" and "purloining and publication" of another author's "language, thoughts, ideas, or expressions," according to Wikipedia.

I think you have to try and evaluate the intentions of the person using the other's original content.

If you use their content but then add an insight or summary to it you've added value.

Again if you credit the original author you are simply helping them get more exposure.

If you take someone else's content and pass it off as your own then in my eyes that's plagiarism.

When rewriting I often take 3 or 4 articles, read them and then make a points list from them. Then I use that to write fresh content. I am taking someone else's ideas but I am writing fresh content. Can that be considered Plagiarism? I think not.

How much truly original content is there on the Internet?

kmm2908, Jan 2, 2014 IP
  11. PassGoSEO

PassGoSEO Member

Best Answers:

At one point, all of it.

Now, maybe 10%.

PassGoSEO, Jan 2, 2014 IP
  12. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ah yes, the old exposure argument.

You really think providing a link or mention to the original content's location is going to fairly compensate the original creator for their time and effort? That is just an excuse made by cheats to get free content.

Do you think it compensates the original writer when Google starts indexing the "new" version of the page higher, particularly if your content is scraped and placed on a more "authoritative site"? Google will downgrade the original in favor of any and all "new" copies. I've seen this happen with a number of pieces that were stolen from my sites. Google claims it knows the original from the newer copies. I would argue that it certainly does...and puts it dead last depending upon the "authority" of the other sites hosting the "new" version.

Will that "exposure" replace the income lost because the other site is now enjoying the search engine rankings you once had?

Trust me, you can't pay the bills with exposure.

Motive shouldn't matter. Theft is theft.

Stop making excuses for the cheats. If content is not offered as PLR or syndicated or is not truly in the public domain, there is no time when it is OK to publish it, in its entirety, on your own site; without the permission of the author or copyright holder. PERIOD. END OF STORY!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
    YMC, Jan 5, 2014 IP
  13. nicoo

nicoo Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You can write about the same topic, as many people do, but place your own twist on it. Copying and pasting exactly would be considered copying, but expressing your own take or experience on the same subject matter is okay.

nicoo, Jan 5, 2014 IP
  14. kmm2908

kmm2908 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed, otherwise there would be no new content on the Internet.

Surely an element of all new content is based on something that has already appeared on the net, either intentionally or not. As I said before IMHO the intent of the new author is key here. Crediting source for content and not passing off as your own in my eyes rebutts any claims of plagiarism.

Anyway, plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery, is it not? :)

kmm2908, Jan 5, 2014 IP
  15. The Content Bloke

The Content Bloke Peon

Best Answers:
    Plagiarism denotes creating something such as a song, book, or film but borrowing heavily from another, similar creative work, not of your own, in the process. While, technically speaking, rewriting isn't plagiarism, it's still unethical and, if the article is copyrighted, illegal if you don't have the author's permission to alter his or her original work.

The Content Bloke, Jan 5, 2014 IP
  16. kmm2908

kmm2908 Active Member

Best Answers:
    and the fact that you never hear of anyone being prosecuted for rewriting is probably a good indicator there's nothing wrong with it!

kmm2908, Jan 5, 2014 IP
  17. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Plagiarism and copyright infringement are civil crimes. Offenders are sued, not prosecuted.

YMC, Jan 5, 2014 IP
  18. kmm2908

kmm2908 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Now that's nit picking! :)

kmm2908, Jan 5, 2014 IP
  19. The Content Bloke

The Content Bloke Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, that's one way of looking at it. LOL!

The Content Bloke, Jan 5, 2014 IP
  20. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Technically, plagiarism not only means copying someone’s words, it also means copying his/her ideas. That is why, as per my opinion, in this sense, rewriting is plagiarism. Just pick any 10-15 good pages on a topic at random and analyze them. Mostly, you will find that the percentage of content that is really original is quite low. A major part will be the same ideas or meaning written in different words and styles.
    However, without doing this, it would almost be impossible for the content business to run!
    What a person can do is restructure/reorder/recompose the words and points of the original content, use synonyms and add something valuable or worthy to it by using one's imaginative skills and abilities for innovation and creativity.

Content Maestro, Jan 5, 2014 IP