1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you safely have joint ownership of a website?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by seobeginner, Dec 30, 2013.

I want to do a joint venture where one of us runs/maintains the website and I do the seo side of it. Is there any way of doing this in a way that means neither of us could just take the domain name and screw the other person over??

Thanks

seobeginner, Dec 30, 2013 IP
  2. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Sign a contract with them!!!!

Agent000, Dec 30, 2013 IP
  3. kjmartyn

kjmartyn Active Member

Best Answers:
    Contracts work if there are large somes of money at stake. If he/she steals the website you'll spend more time and money trying to retrieve your share.
    If you're in the same country you may want to register a corporation. Then you'll be covered under corporate law of your location.
    First step would to do your due diligence. Look into the person. Asks him/her questions. If they're going to be your partner they'll have no problem answering.
    After they've answered ask for references that you can contact. No email get phone numbers.
    Find out as much as you can about them. Meet them if you can.
    PM me and I can explain further.

kjmartyn, Dec 30, 2013 IP
  4. iexo

iexo Member

Best Answers:
    On the legal side a contract will cover you, detailing that both parties need to give consent for certain actions to be performed. On a technical side there's not much if you both want equal access - but explaining to any hosting provider you work with that you're both in ownership may help!

iexo, Dec 30, 2013 IP
  5. kjmartyn

kjmartyn Active Member

Best Answers:
    Contracts will cover you, but what would you do about it if your website was stolen?

kjmartyn, Dec 30, 2013 IP
    averyz likes this.
  6. seobeginner

seobeginner Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yeah the problem is, I likely wont make enough money from it for it to be worth involving a lawyer

seobeginner, Dec 31, 2013 IP
  7. Greg Ramos

Greg Ramos Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Write up a contract that is as detailed as it can be explain both your roles and sole purposes is towards the company. You can include just about anything in this contract. Have it say that you both own 50/50 of the said business / company / website.

You can even consult to a lawyer at first and see what they have to say . But most times having a contract written and signed by both party's sums everything up and once they know a contract is involved then they will know your not playing games and this is the real deal.

Other than that you can ask them as much questions as you possibly feel you need to in order for you to feel more secured. Just explain to them that you have to make sure this is a legit thing you guys are working on and that no back staving will occur. Ask for references and contact them on your behalf to make sure they are good people and have not messed anyone else's business up or tried any slick stuff in the past .

Greg Ramos, Jan 1, 2014 IP
  8. kjmartyn

kjmartyn Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have a generic contract that I can custom for you. PM me

kjmartyn, Jan 1, 2014 IP
  9. seobeginner

seobeginner Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    But how could you prove you didn't acquire their signature somehow and sign it yourself? Or edit the contract and copy their signature from the previous contract?

seobeginner, Jan 3, 2014 IP
  10. Webcenter

Webcenter Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Register under your name the domain name if you're a serious guy. Also have full access to root and make backups once awhile(web hosting), just in case things go nasty. Make sure you aint gonna screw your partner.

Webcenter, Jan 3, 2014 IP
  11. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You are right, the person with the domain name could just lock you out and you are screwed. Like you mentioned it will probably not be worth tens of thousands of dollars possibly hundreds of thousands in legal fees to get it back.

Contracts are worthless unless you have a way to enforce them.

averyz, Jan 4, 2014 IP