1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which is the best forum software right now (2013)?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by boyuancy, Mar 19, 2013.

1. psychobunny

psychobunny Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    /shamelessplug

Check out NodeBB, its a relatively new open source forum software that's built to run super fast and work well on mobile devices :)

http://try.nodebb.org

psychobunny, Dec 4, 2013 IP
  2. mattsim

mattsim Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hadn't heard of NodeBB. Seems much faster than Discourse. UI is quite old school on both. Could be good if you like classic forums.

mattsim, Dec 5, 2013 IP
  3. malcsimm

malcsimm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Looks like MyBB is the top choice of most webmasters now. And it's free :) I'm gonna choose that.

Malc :)

malcsimm, Dec 6, 2013 IP
  4. mattsim

mattsim Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    NodeBB's new home page says it's the first mobile friendly forum, but the project hadn't even started when moot.it launched... ;)

mattsim, Dec 12, 2013 IP
  5. Sugavanas

Sugavanas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Xenfore rocks !! :D

Sugavanas, Dec 29, 2013 IP
  6. kjmartyn

kjmartyn Active Member

Best Answers:
    Anyone using vanilla? I like the styling and it's simplicity.

kjmartyn, Dec 29, 2013 IP
  7. Ayodele Miracle

Ayodele Miracle Peon

Best Answers:
    Please can you enlighten me on bbpress or buddypress. Are dey not gud.... Please i need ur opinion about those ones

Ayodele Miracle, Jan 3, 2014 IP
  8. anton-io!

anton-io! Active Member

Best Answers:
    Unreal!
    Many months since I've been here last ... wow - forum is fast and my account still in place.
    Searching Goog for forum software, came upon this thread, thx for info on XenForo.

anton-io!, Feb 7, 2014 IP
  9. vangel

vangel Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am using Vanilla. I even integrated it to my membership site using their SSO plugin. It was easy.
    I have had some issues with it though. I would say vanilla is ok for a small scale setup. Go for IPB or xenforo. IPB works really well with CDN accelerators like Akamai , cloudflare etc. Vanilla doesn't. Havent tried Xenforo as I never installed so many forums.

vangel, Feb 8, 2014 IP
  10. Sarah Davis

Sarah Davis Active Member

Best Answers:
    I was looking at this the other day. Its nice to see a new unique forum software on the market. It does look pretty slick and is different from most bulletin board software. The only downside is the price, and I wouldn't choose this over MyBB or phpBB.

Sarah Davis, Feb 17, 2014 IP
  11. strafalgar

strafalgar Peon

Best Answers:
    I have installed Xenforo as well, and xenforo is very expensive and most of the custom features cost even more money and are addons developed by the same xenforo developers/support group. anything you want to do be prepare to put money on and the developers are not interested in incorporating more features because they make more money selling you Addons.

strafalgar, Mar 14, 2014 IP
  12. Hydrogen H2

Hydrogen H2 Peon

Best Answers:
    What about IP.Board? It is actually better security wise than most others, it just costs a few dollars /m for a license.
    Personally never really been a fan of vbulletin or xenforo.

Hydrogen H2, Mar 18, 2014 IP
  13. Bernando Bona Tius

Bernando Bona Tius Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    so far maybe xenforo or vbulletin 4.x

Bernando Bona Tius, Apr 24, 2014 IP
  14. tylerlx

tylerlx Peon

Best Answers:
    For me it's ZetaBoards - all the customization and simplicity.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2014
    tylerlx, Apr 29, 2014 IP
  15. SteveAR

SteveAR Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    is xenforo still the leader? or can vbulletin come back ?

SteveAR, Oct 20, 2014 IP
  16. Azareal

Azareal Peon

Best Answers:
    Probably IPB. It's been around for quite a number of years, so it's not going to be going anywhere and it's built up quite a few features.

I thought that NodeBB was still in alpha? I wouldn't trust an alpha software with a live forum (unless, I wrote it myself).
    On a side note, I thought they were going to fix the messy index months ago?

Azareal, Oct 25, 2014 IP
  17. vangel

vangel Active Member

Best Answers:
    The problem with these forums is that they still follow archaic design and "service fees". They may have improved a few things in usability but they have not revised the way a forum works. Hence the popularity of other channels.
    For e.g. I purchased a full downloadable copy of IP Board. Then I purchased 4 additional modules to make it usable. Then I paid for theme and copyright removal. Now I have to pay every 6 months just so I can apply their security patches and use their antispam service or even download fresh copies of the purchased item. For some reason without this "regular" service you will get spam registration to death, no matter what challenge etc you use. Other paid forums aren't any better either.

The UI for traditional forums suck. If you think its easy to find information then something is wrong with you. People try to use search which again may have improved but forums rely on search too much and does not yield expected results. Entire communities have broken down over "You did not search properly". Searching is bad, one should be able to get to what they want to know quick and easy. The forum is a huge curve for both the maintainer and the user and it has nothing to do with software, it's the UX (User Experience). Its still stuck in friggin 80s, with better javascript/css. They used the unix text BBS format and pasted it into HTML. At this point it seems they will keep peddling this crap till anyone is buying or stuckwith it. Hence the revenue model above.

The only folks I have seen who have reworked the idea of forums into something more consumable are:
    VanillaForums.org - not all there yet but moving fast. Best free forum software since FUDForum.
    Reddit - yes I have installed it to test, and its quite ok but not for the average joe admins
    Disqus - pricey for its hidden pricing, but complete community SaaS and if you can think out of the box you can build a nice forum out of it for any kind of site you want to run without hassle. You do need to contact them and get the price in writing for additional features.
    AskBot - Another reason StackExchange is killing traditional forums. This is a free software to run your own StackExchange type forum

May the Traditional Forum and it's BBS user Experience Rest In everlasting Peace.

vangel, Nov 8, 2014 IP