1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Future of SEO - 2014

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by airerdem, Dec 24, 2013.

Google has made essential changes and they are all part of a longer term strategy that has many components. Google is doing a good job of pushing people away from tactical SEO behavior and toward a more strategic approach. Thus, SEO Isn't Dead, It's Converging.

Some of changes that Google did:

1-) Not Providing Keywords Anymore

The recent announcement that Google will encrypt all keyword referral data has created quite a stir in search marketing circles. Many folks find themselves faced with the challenge and asking the question, "How will SEOs optimize to keywords, if they can't see the keyword data?"

Losing Google keyword data is bad for a number of reasons. This impacts publishers in many ways, including losing a valuable tool to understand what the intent of customers that come to their site, for conversion optimization, and much more.

2-) Importance of PR and PR Update

Google's Distinguished Engineer Matt Cutts has said Toolbar PageRank won't be updated again this year, leading many to speculate that PageRank is going away.

3-) Hummingbird

Google has built a capability to understand conversational search queries much better than before. There’s no question that the Hummingbird algorithm is only the beginning of change in search optimization, but smart content creators can be prepared to thrive in this — and any — environment that may come in the future.

To illustrate this, try to search “give me some pictures of the empire state".

The focus now is on understanding your target users, producing great content, establishing your authority and visibility, and providing a great experience for the users of your site. Properly architecting your site so that the search engines can understand it, including using schema and related markup, addressing local search, and work of this type still matters, too.

Do Not DOs in 2014

1-) Ignoring Design,
    2-) Focusing Only On Rankings, and
    3-) Ignoring Social

airerdem, Dec 24, 2013 IP
    globalwebsolution likes this.
  2. subet

subet Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks for mentioning some good points. I wait for more :)

subet, Dec 24, 2013 IP
  3. tycho

tycho Member

Best Answers:
    Good points. My predication is that backlinks are still as important as ever before, but this time not as much in benefiting rankings but instead hurting.

As more and more people disavow links and Google creates a huge list of known unnatural link locations more and more updates will begin to utilize that data for future updates.

You better believe that if your link profile is spammy in 2014 your gonna be in a world of hurt. Time to start grinding on cleaning up a link profile and make it as natural as possible before the next G update.

tycho, Dec 24, 2013 IP
  4. emn

emn Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks airerdem,

I enjoyed your post and think that it will help me an others also to get more SEO strategies and tips. Keep posting such posts and inform about new things.

emn, Dec 24, 2013 IP
  5. faizzsheikh

faizzsheikh Active Member

Best Answers:
    The points that you had mentioned are really good. I believe it should also include Semantic Keywords which is also new element highly recommended by search marketing experts.

faizzsheikh, Dec 26, 2013 IP
  6. manisahani

manisahani Member

Best Answers:
    - Local business website will boon on mobile technology.
    - Local language keywords will help full for business.
    - Social media will be most important factor to increase visibility.
    - Generic keyword can't promote.
    - Theme based backlink will help to increase the ranking of keywords.
    - Bing, Yahoo will be show the good result so we have to focus on them also.
    - Google search traffic will go down.
    - Website owner will get ROI from GOOGLE because google become a Ad Search Engine.
    - We have to follow digital marketing strategy to promote any website.

manisahani, Dec 26, 2013 IP
  7. Rev Jain

Rev Jain Active Member

Best Answers:
    1. Plan your fresh & quality content for your website.
    Example: 1. Product or Service Sales 2. Customer Support 3.Company Information , 4. Other Information & resources
    2. Authority
    Example: 1. Social Media => Audience Building 2. Relationship Building & Asking => Link Building
    3. Use a simple & logical web architecture & URLs
    4.Canonicals

- Continue to make sure each page has one unique URL or use canonical directives to indicate the correct URL. If you do use parameters, check your Webmaster Tools setting in both Google and Bing, and keep those parameters in the same order in all your links.

Rev Jain, Dec 27, 2013 IP
  8. Conran

Conran Active Member

Best Answers:
    The keyword argument is a bit of a nonsense in my opinion.

You should not be attempting to manufacture your content to target a specific term, you should be creating accurate, natural and interesting content relevant to the audience you are seeking for your site.

This is a Chicken > Egg situation. People need to stop chasing an audience, and just create the content that the audience needs. You don't need to see the keywords to be able to achieve this, and Google has made a deliberate attempt to try to prevent people from manufacturing content based on the highest audience numbers, rather than on creating content actually relevant to the audience they seek.

The most important trend for 2014 (any year in fact) is - BACK TO BASICS.

Attempting to manipulate Google into giving you more traffic than your site actually deserves is the biggest problem, if you just create the right content for your audience, everything else comes naturally.

Social media is a given. If you're creating content that people want to share, give them the tools to share it, they'll do exactly that. If you contact people in your field of business and talk about sharing posts and writing for each other, it's natural mutual promotion. If you write content relevant to your field, with good information and a wealth of expertise, then you'll naturally rise to the correct position in Search Results.

Conran, Dec 27, 2013 IP
  9. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can still get keywords google just wants $150,000 (USD) for them- http://www.google.com/analytics/premium/contact.html

Google is moving to more and more paid listings and hoping to drive more people to adwords. Hiding keywords from the nonpaying masses will also help them hide their deceptive search result practices.

The future of SEO is google raping internet users and people finding other search engines then google when search results turn into paid junk.

averyz, Dec 27, 2013 IP
  10. Mr.Dog

Mr.Dog Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google will make us pay for whatever they want. Slowly they will turn everything into a paid service.
    It's a wonder search is still free.

You still have Yahoo and Bing. Despite them being smaller, the chances for ranking higher are better.

Panda and Penguin are ideal for destroying ethically advertised sites (I've seen endless examples of ruined businesses). Google wants us to pay for ads instead of getting free traffic.

So, they want 150,000 $ for a pro account?

These are reasons enough to push harder on social media...

Mr.Dog, Dec 27, 2013 IP
  11. Annea

Annea Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just my personal experience but I don't think Hummingbird did great things. I now find searching to be a very frustrating experience. Some things that I try to look up, I never find, even in quotes or with square brackets. Either the context is wrong, or it shows me totally unrelated topics. So, what chance does my blog have of ever being found? Some, I guess but people either have to hold their tongue just right when typing in a search, or I have to get lucky. And yes, I try to provide good value to my readers.

Annea, Dec 27, 2013 IP
  12. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have switched my home page to Bing, it is not as good at extensive searches but it is better in competitive searches where google is only brining up paid listings, yellow pages, yelp, ask.com and other junk.

As far as SEO I am just sticking to the age old guidelines, I don't care what matt cutts says in his latest dog and pony show because it is BS. The real story is google needs to increase profit every quarter or they will wilt and die.
    The age old standard webmaster guidelines have been around and will be around after google is a "has been".

Yeah.

“Get Google Analytics Premium for your business.Work directly with Google and a flat annual fee of $150,000 (USD) covers all the data, guarantees and service you could need”

That’s annual. How much can a marketing company spend on a tool ? 5% - maybe 10% so basically only multi-million dollar seo companies who want to pay will have info from google.

And how valuable is a info tool in a rigged game ? So you know the keywords are high volume competitive in a realm where the entire front page is paid except for the last 2-3 listings that are there because ? They paid google in another way ?

averyz, Dec 27, 2013 IP
  13. Mr.Dog

Mr.Dog Active Member

Best Answers:
    Be more specific, what "good old" SEO techniques are you continuing to use?
    Like: buying links, keyword-optimizing?

Mr.Dog, Dec 27, 2013 IP
  14. Sam Smassh

Sam Smassh Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    yep....I agree with you..sometimes,its hard to me to find the exact result of my search...waiting for next update from google...

Sam Smassh, Dec 27, 2013 IP
  15. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was mostly referring to the standard guidelines of white hat onsite seo- H-title tags, good content, keywords, relevant backlinks, etc. The stuff that has been around for the past decade or more.
    When one specific search engine starts telling people they need to do this or that (like running around deleting backlinks-disavow) it just seems like people are narrowing down their strategy to just one SE. Then that SE fades/or makes it all paid and they lose it all.

I guess I mean just investing in good websites, content and backlinks instead of trying to follow ranking systems that are ever changing and manipulated by owners for profit.

averyz, Dec 27, 2013 IP
    Conran and echo_unlimited like this.
  16. Mr.Dog

Mr.Dog Active Member

Best Answers:
    Good points there!

Mr.Dog, Dec 28, 2013 IP
  17. Conran

Conran Active Member

Best Answers:
    I completely agree, people are focusing on the short-term and not considering what Google's intentions have always been.
    These people were caught out by Panda.
    They spent years making sites full of copied content, even while Google was telling everyone that unique content was priority, and then they all started screaming about it when Google rolled out Panda and destroyed their traffic overnight.

Google had always said that duplicate content was bad, people ignored it because it wasn't harming them and they were too lazy to create original content, and then they were suddenly shocked when Google did what it always said it wanted to do - destroy the bad content and promote the original and unique sites.

People are still doing it now, ignoring what Google's intentions are, using dodgy tactics and black-hat techniques. And again, when Google rolls out a change to actually lessen the spam and rubbish, they'll complain about it. I have little sympathy for people who refuse to listen and then complain about it as if it's someone else's fault.

This is not just a Google thing either, all search engines will have to promote the good content over the bad if they want to remain relevant and useful. Anyone who ignores what a SE is supposed to be for and tries to use black-hat methods and things that all SE's warn against deserve no sympathy when their site is relegated to page 500.

Conran, Dec 28, 2013 IP
  18. david tsilosani

david tsilosani Active Member

Best Answers:
    oh great post thanks!

david tsilosani, Dec 29, 2013 IP
  19. Annea

Annea Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @Conran - I agree with everything you said but sadly, it is not only spammy websites that got hit. Long established, legitimate authority sites in small niches were also affected badly. Do a search and you'll find lots of small businesses that disappeared from the serps and were actually replaced by the crap sites.

Also, there is plenty of complaining about site attacks of competitors to trigger the disavow procedure. Pain in the butt!

I think G needs to tweak and debug their latest algo updates.

@averyz - I think you're right to just focus on producing a content site that offers your readers value and uses basic, common sense SEO. To hell with the rest. Really, how can you go wrong by building a loyal customer base? And that can happen without Google, although it's obviously easier with them. All of this Google crap can drive you crazy and distract you from what you're trying to achieve. Just my opinion.

Annea, Dec 29, 2013 IP