1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help me serious website legal issue

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by mayank6169, Dec 25, 2013.

I have asked an developer from freelancer to create me a site. Now when the site is made he is saying that he want to add his site name under footer like powered by n all. I told him I don't want to add as he hasn't done it with other clients site. My site looks more professional and attractive and all mockups and design was my idea he just created the site. Now he is telling me to add that link or else he will sell it to many people. Is this right?

I want to avoid any further issue so please tell me what is in my rights and what is his? What I can do it to make it my own completely or its already my own when I pay them?

mayank6169, Dec 25, 2013 IP
  2. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nigel Lew, Dec 25, 2013 IP
  3. mayank6169

mayank6169 Active Member

Best Answers:
    e="Nigel Lew, post: 18831047, member: 87273"]We were just discussing this in another thread somewhere. That is not SEO, does him no inherent good really and, is totally ghetto. I would not allow it. I have not done that in like 8 years or something.

https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/seo-etiquette.2697927/#post-18822727
    Nigel[/quote]
    Thank you for you reply. This is totally
    different thing I an talking about. They created my whole site with my idea. I hired them to build that site, I designed the mockeup, it was my idea they just built it on my instruction. Is it right? What can i do now? How can I get their site link removed?

4. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm, sorry misread something. No, of course that is not right nor can he sell to others what you paid for. I would start by reporting him to freelancer. I would probably post his profile as well.

Nigel

Nigel Lew, Dec 25, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  5. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What he is doing is not right. That said, they often get away with it. I have seen freelancers sell clients work to others simply to make a bit extra.

I would not pay him any extra. Neither would I accept the footer link. IF this guy was in the same country as me, I would consult my solicitor, and get them to write the response.

If he is in india, doesnt matter what you do, there is nothing stopping them from reselling it again. Apart from that all you can do is argue with him. I would argue that he agreed to make the site from your designs, and in nowhere in your project brieft, or in the psd did you have "created by blackmailer", but end of the day, he wont necessarily do what is right, but what is profitable.

matt_62, Dec 25, 2013 IP
    FreeFun4Every1 and averyz like this.
  6. deadbabes

deadbabes Active Member

Best Answers:
    wow! This is so wrong. Definitely report him. Freelancer won't put up with that kind of vendor.

deadbabes, Dec 25, 2013 IP
  7. urock_ltd

urock_ltd Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    " Now he is telling me to add that link or else he will sell it to many people. Is this right?"

This is 100% blackmailing..
    have you already paid him?
    Site is already completed?

urock_ltd, Dec 25, 2013 IP
  8. mayank6169

mayank6169 Active Member

Best Answers:
    He had send me the back end script then I paid him half now he has completed the whole site and I haven't paid him.

9. abdulpathaan

abdulpathaan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Dear mayank ,

please put his link on your website with no follow attribute .The links on your website cant harm your website if you add no follow attribute .if you have any other SEO or developing project please hire me for that .
    waiting for positive and quick reply.

Thanks and Regards
    Abdul Rehman
    Please Feel Free To Talk On,
    Gmail -
    Skype - abdulpathaan

abdulpathaan, Jan 9, 2014 IP
  10. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So tell him no link and you will pay him for the files. He will probably not let the files go until you pay him, as that's how most developers get paid.

As far as the developer selling copies of the site you paid him to make, if he is in another country their is nothing you can do unless you want to drop a few hundred grand in legal fees. That's one of the draw backs of outsourcing.

Sometimes cheap comes with a price

averyz, Jan 9, 2014 IP
  11. SpyShifu

SpyShifu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just say him, it fine. You can add your footer & then remove it on your own. simple.

SpyShifu, Jan 9, 2014 IP
  12. SpyShifu

SpyShifu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No one can sue you in legal matter, if it's freelancer, then they have policy for buyer rights. I've face many humiliation to seller demands, when they know your nature, they demand even more. I normally stick with one which I've trust for long.

SpyShifu, Jan 9, 2014 IP
  13. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    Dude,

Stop freaking, Let him build the website and then when its on your server, remove his link and lock him out,

1......2.......3 its that easy ,

sundaybrew, Jan 9, 2014 IP
  14. Omar t

Omar t Peon

Best Answers:
    Usually , freelancers when offered jobs like this give you 2 options ; sell you the product for example say for 500$ but he is allowed to sell it to other people also , or you would be the only person he sells it to and charges you like 10 times more the original amount like 5000$. Pretty crazy huh ?
    So my advice is ; either way you cannot guarantee he wont sell it to other people , even if he makes you pay like i said . So what you want to do is tell him you will pay a small amount ( no more than 50$ to have the " powered by " removed , and he can sell it to whoever he wants , because its not the site itself that matters , its what you do with it , and as gor your idea being spread to people buying the product from him well , welcome to the internet. So i would just do what i said above , and then you take care of your site and market and give great design and content to it , because thats what makes it different. And your idea is going to be " out there " and could be copied anyway as soon as you launch the site.
    Best wishes
    Omar B

Omar t, Apr 10, 2014 IP
  15. Mr Lee

Mr Lee Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If it is not encrypted code, you completely have the ability to remove the line. We get this all the time from outsourced work. Sometimes the coders think we won't check the external scripts they planned to add into the webpage. We check the code with another coder and pull them out.

Mr Lee, Apr 14, 2014 IP
  16. ahsan karim

ahsan karim Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You can easily remove it. He has no legal right to do so.

ahsan karim, May 4, 2014 IP