1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New Custom Wedding Responsive Website!

Discussion in 'Design' started by 1a26z, Dec 17, 2013.

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get some feedback on all aspects of a new website I've just made.
    http://julia-mackenzie.com/

I'm new here and understand if you wish not to help me out, though I'm looking for as much criticism as you can dish out, so please, feel totally free to tear strips off of it and lay into me about how bad I've done. The criticism will help me learn and improve a heap more.

The design has been done responsively in HTML5 & CSS3. So if you re-size/restore your browsers window and re-size it, the website should look pretty good, regardless of your re-sizing preference. It should also look pretty sweet on tablets and mobiles.

I am aware that it currently has various problems in Internet Explorer. Those issues are currently being addressed.

I'm really looking for any feedback on the
    - design
    - responsiveness
    - text visibility/style
    - colors
    - the browser/mobile/tablet you're viewing it on and whether it had problems

- anything else you wish to share :)

Thanks and I look forward to improving it upon the advice in the replies! :D

1a26z, Dec 17, 2013 IP
  2. BluRank

BluRank Member

Best Answers:
    pretty good, how about some different social media buttons. for some reason they look weird to me.

BluRank, Dec 18, 2013 IP
  3. Brisa Maria

Brisa Maria Peon

Best Answers:
    I got feedback for you! I'm new here too :)
    It's a really good start. The colors a nice and calm, and very appropriate for the demographic you're trying to reach. And it does resize very nicely!
    As far as design goes, I feel like the home page is a bit busy. There is so much text and so many boxes. Combined with the font, that looks like it's squished together, there is just too much going on. I don't know what to look at first.
    You really don't need all of that information on the front page. Or at least, it doesn't all need to be the same size font. I'd say pick and choose what the focal points are and make them stand out more from the rest of the stuff.

Hope that helps :)

Brisa Maria, Dec 18, 2013 IP
  4. 1a26z

1a26z Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks. Yeah I know something doesn't seem right, maybe because they're so big?
    I could customize them into the rest of the theme color, though I wasn't sure if the size and color would make the vibrancy give off a modern/young/updated vibe.
    Will have to find some other customized buttons for inspiration.

Thanks, glad you like a whole bunch of stuff! :D
    As for the valid points you've brought up, it definitely is why I was after some opinions on it. As the creator you can never get enough feedback or criticize your work enough.

I'm currently playing around with Keyword Density, a lot of competing sites are on 7-8% minimum and have very little text, so less text is definitely something I'm seriously considering.

The boxes I can't get right. Initially I was trying to break the page up a little bit. I'm not sure whether to have them with a solid border or just a lighter background color with no border. Might give that a go and see if it makes it flow a bit smoother and seem less busy. Because I definitely agree something's off. Maybe the solid border is making it feel busier because everything is cut off and 'private' instead of just background colored and 'in the room' - if that makes sense.

Might try playing with font size of the blog sidebar, maybe reducing it. Probably also worth reducing the huge H1 tags. in the sidebar too. Text and font size is something I've only more recently become aware of how you can break up sections and a page with clever size differences. I will definitely look at it.

And yes this feedback helps a lot :D Thanks and welcome too! ;)

1a26z, Dec 19, 2013 IP
  5. Akash47

Akash47 Member

Best Answers:
    I like the colours and the upfront, easily available contact information. However, your home page seems to be a little busy. A lot of it, I think, is due to how large all the fonts are.
    I would suggest a less "dense" homepage. You have to scroll down really far to get to the testimonials.

Akash47, Dec 19, 2013 IP
  6. perdanny

perdanny Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey there, newcomer as well, as for the site:
    I dont like the gradient pink at the footer, i'd go with solid soft color - pink in that, i'd also make the divs at at the bottom in fixed size (the 4 services), the twiter button is shrinked need to be 90px width, and when hovering the navigation bar i dont like the text-shadow at all, its all dervied from "keeping it simple" philosophy most sites follow, from major to locals, good luck!

perdanny, Dec 20, 2013 IP
  7. 1a26z

1a26z Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, I'm working on these points. :)

Thanks, got to admit wasn't sure about the footer color. I know the twitter button needs fixing, thanks ;)
    The divs for the different services and the testimonials I do agree need to be a fixed height, it looks weird them being un-blocked. Just need to set a pixel height for different screen sizes, should be a simple fix. Thanks for being honest, most of the services bits on many sites are blocked/all same height/width and it looks good. I'll jump onto it.
    As far as the text shadow in the menu, would you remove it and make the text another color? How would you highlight the hover effect, I realize it's not relevant on many devices, but still relevant on a pc.
    Thanks for taking the time to point out specifics :)

1a26z, Dec 21, 2013 IP
  8. mole

mole Member

Best Answers:
    i would work with more subtle gradients and shadows, my motto is that you should not recognize them when youre looking, then they are to mutch.

mole, Dec 22, 2013 IP
  9. barkha malik

barkha malik Member

Best Answers:
    look nice u need to add more articles

barkha malik, Dec 24, 2013 IP
  10. 1a26z

1a26z Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks folks! Keep the suggestions coming :D

1a26z, Dec 25, 2013 IP
  11. Ehteshamshaikh

Ehteshamshaikh Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have checked you page time speed which is quite more, try to minimise page load time.

Ehteshamshaikh, Jan 10, 2014 IP
  12. 1a26z

1a26z Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your reply, though you said "Which is quite more" and I don't understand
    What do you mean more? More than what?
    What would you suggest I 'improve' on to minimize the load time?
    What did you check it on, tablet/mobile/desktop? A speed tool? The code? etc?

1a26z, Jan 10, 2014 IP
  13. Ehteshamshaikh

Ehteshamshaikh Active Member

Best Answers:
    https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fjulia-mackenzie.com&tab=mobile
    Anyways you site speed is good but what I mean is it is not 100% and can be 100% by fixing those problems that have been derived in this given link.

Ehteshamshaikh, Jan 11, 2014 IP
  14. 1a26z

1a26z Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for taking the time to reply again mate :)

I ran extensive speed tests, including the google linked one, before I opened this thread.
    You should run Google.com through it, their own tool :p
    https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=google.com

I also shared a few tools in another thread I created, I believe the google tool was one of them ;)
    https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/useful-development-tools.2698229/#post-18832244

So I'm fine in comparison and according to a few other speed tools, there's not much left to do, one thing I can do is minify the css - again. Though I un-minified it so I can play with a few things, so until they're right there's no point in minifying it again.

The rest of the problems, almost all, relate to the "social" and "tracking" links/js needed, so unfortunately not really a lot I can do there.

Thanks again, for taking the time to reply, again :D

1a26z, Jan 11, 2014 IP
  15. renu thakur

renu thakur Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    good

renu thakur, Aug 11, 2014 IP
  16. Kaleemahmad1

Kaleemahmad1 Member

Best Answers:
    you have to make some different attractive, creative button use

Kaleemahmad1, Aug 11, 2014 IP
  17. rahmanraza51

rahmanraza51 Banned

Best Answers:
    Its cool but something something is good .
    but overall is going great

rahmanraza51, Aug 20, 2014 IP