1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Have you considered just taking your directory/directories permanently offline?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by pipes, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't claim directories send mass traffic. You seem to think that mass traffic is what matters. Directories send very targeted traffic that converts to paying customers much better than search engine traffic from most keyword. Here I'm talking about high quality specialized directories that have actual businesses built around them not the type that you used to run and abandoned.

One more time.... Google is not the only source of traffic. There are hundreds of other places to get traffic from (social media, news portals, advertising, through radio ads, etc). Once you build a business that doesn't rely on Google then you are not going to

Nima, Dec 13, 2013 IP
  2. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I wasn't accusing you of lying I just don't believe the figures you have are anywhere close to real.

Do you realize anyone can post anything on slideshare.net and an article in abajournal is a pretty weak "source" it is basically like call an ezine article a "source"

averyz, Dec 13, 2013 IP
  3. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This all started when I claimed most basic directories don't send very much traffic maybe 3 hits every day or week. This is what I got in my sites and many other webmasters have reported over the years.

So then you claimed-
    These are pretty tall statements I am just wondering How me and many other webmasters have never know or seen that all this traffic goes through directories ?

All the traffic stats I have look at never said 65% of traffic was coming from directories. It was usually more like .002%

I never knew business owners used directories more then google to find contractors. Most of the contractors I have built sites for got the bulk of their traffic from search engine listings and google maps even when they had 20-50 directory listings.

I would like to see some proof of all this directory traffic if its real I can always use traffic who can't ?

I'm just try to have a realistic educational discussion.

averyz, Dec 13, 2013 IP
  4. Web Directory Reviews Org

Web Directory Reviews Org Well-Known Member Premium Member

Best Answers:
    If not, I don't know why there are always search engine spiders in my directory.

5. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Really?? ABAJournal (American Bar Association Journal) is just like ezine. ha? lol

Keeping in mind that the discussion is about sending not a lot but very targeted traffic to lawyers specifically.... If you're a webmaster in that market and you don't know those stats, it tells more about you than the stats. You can't even tell the different between American Bar Journal and ezine.

I'm sure you can.

Nima, Dec 14, 2013 IP
  6. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You are trying to distract attention from getting called out on your false claims.

But i will play along-

You posted a link to an article in a website basically anyone with a law degree can place an article in. It is an option in 1 article. And it doesn’t even back up the false claims you are making. www.abajournal.com/news/article/how_people_find_lawyers_referrals_are_popular_blogs_not_so_much_poll_finds/

""-Forty-six percent of the respondents say they would ask a friend, family member
    -while 34 percent say they would contact a lawyer they know
    -20 percent were very or somewhat likely to consult Facebook, compared to 15 percent who would consult blogs, and 9 percent who would look at Twitter
    -But nearly half—49 percent—were very or somewhat likely to consult websites where consumers can post legal questions for lawyers to answer""

^is this what you are claiming..?websites where consumers can post legal questions” does that mean directories..? and they said- "were very or somewhat likely to consult websites...."

"somewhat likely" ??? If you ask people and they say maybe ? and did someone just write this to hype up the “websites where consumers can post legal questions” that they are writing on and promoting.?

Is this your main source ? for your massive directory traffic claims..

Your legal directory ranks for nothing you are trying to pretend you can send people traffic.

Please show me where you can get traffic ? and even close to any kind of traffic you are talking about.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
    averyz, Dec 15, 2013 IP
  7. Radha Kishan

Radha Kishan Peon

Best Answers:
    People have lost trust in directories otherwise links from good directories like dir.yahoo.com and botw.org still works great. I still submit to many quality directories which have editorial value and it works great to improve rankings in Google. But problem is that my own directory pr5 on home page has lost 90% income though I have page rank on inner pages as well and google never penalized my site for selling links and still lot of people renew their listings in my directory but new orders are almost negligible. For past 5 years on average I used to make $2000 per month from my directory with lots of submissions from UK seo companies and individuals clients. I have also noticed that page rank is not passing now if your site has a link from high pr page in any of the directories but it still helps in rankings if your site is added in the relevant category. So I think time has gone now to make money from paid directories unless you create a high quality directory like dir.yahoo.com where people still submit for $299 a year.

Radha Kishan, Dec 15, 2013 IP
  8. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It must be such a low quality journal since ANYONE with a law degree can post articles (nothing too special, just a law degree). lol

I'm done with this conversation as you have nothing useful to add and are just looking to justify your own lack of dedication to a website you had at some time and abandoned.

Nima, Dec 15, 2013 IP
    snakeair likes this.
  9. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Like I said you can't back up your false claims. People are not that stupid.

averyz, Dec 15, 2013 IP
  10. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Seems people look in more niche' specific areas for attorneys or just word of mouth. Google is not going to be able to recommend one for you. They are just going to show results for attorneys in your area. If you want to do that, you might as well just use the phone book (if you still have one).

Mia, Dec 17, 2013 IP
  11. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, search engines actually don't as big a role in finding attorneys as in other markets. Referral, word of mouth, and directories are a bigger source of customers than SEs for most lawyers. The ones that use Adwords or spend considerable amounts of money on SEO are different though

Nima, Dec 17, 2013 IP
  12. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    if all you have been doing is waiting for people to buy a link, or approving virtually anything, yet not bothering to spend time on a consistent basis adding quality to your site, at the least this would be a good time to clear out all the junk and start over.as I have said recently I think we will see many who ran low quality directories leave the industry, and that can be a good thing in the longer term.

dvduval, Dec 18, 2013 IP
    snakeair likes this.
  13. cblanke

cblanke Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well said David,

I myself am not giving up my Directories without a fight and will just keep adding good content until things improve.

It is just a matter of all the junk directories closing doors to open it back up for the people that run good quality directories.

cblanke, Dec 26, 2013 IP