1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I want to add content to your site but I cannot due to likes.

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Brent Armstrong, Dec 8, 2013.

How dumb is that? I guess this might get me banned but no harm done as I cannot use this site anyways. I would be interested in paying someone to make a logo but turns out I cannot cause I don't have enough likes. So, I go make a post with hope I can get likes but do I?? Nope. So here I am a guy with a purpose to use this forum and here I leave to find a better one that will allow me to do so.

Dumb..

Brent Armstrong, Dec 8, 2013 IP
  2. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    It's all about attempting to prevent spammers from running amok. Anyway don't sweat it, I've received as much as 6 likes for a single post. Now how hard was that? (it was easy) So if I can do it, why can't you?

Spoiltdiva, Dec 8, 2013 IP
  3. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Smyrl, Dec 8, 2013 IP
  4. kingofking

kingofking Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You are frustrated with just a "single" post? I am really surprised! Remember, the BST(Buy, sell, Trade) section here at DP is something like an "additional" facility given to the contributing members. So, you contribute and prove your worth to make use of it else pay the price and get the access. Simple funda.

kingofking, Dec 8, 2013 IP
  5. Brent Armstrong

Brent Armstrong Peon

Best Answers:
    I have now made two posts and do I have any likes? Nope. So you want me to pay $25 which is recurring "also annoying" or pray for likes? I would rather find another forum or use my $25 to actually pay for the logo I want. I have a full internet full of choices, why would anyone want to be annoyed by this? Just being honest here, when forced with these options I will be moving on. I do believe a lot of people would. You guys have a good idea with the logo or design competitions but shooing people away that want to take part? Not so great.

Dumb..

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  6. kingofking

kingofking Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I would advice you to be patient in getting likes. Yes! I do agree that you have other options and you are always free to try all that!

kingofking, Dec 8, 2013 IP
  7. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You've made 3 posts, 2 where you call this forum "Dumb" and you wonder why no-one likes you....

Dumb.....

malky66, Dec 8, 2013 IP
    MrBeLu, ryan_uk and Agent000 like this.
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You appear to have overlooked the option of buying from the people in the design section who are selling their services. You may not be able to start your own thread until you have some history but you can certainly participate in that section.

sarahk, Dec 8, 2013 IP
    Arick unirow likes this.
  9. Brent Armstrong

Brent Armstrong Peon

Best Answers:
    This is so frustrating it's beyond me. I mean seriously, I come here to do one specific thing, make a post in your forum. You then tell me to make a post I have to hang out and make friends first? To be honest I don't understand how people can agree with this. Besides maybe being spiteful that they had to make friends too and I need to follow the same rules. Whatever, I get that part kinda. But seriously, I hope there is more than one person that created or gets paid to run this site and I hope they both think about this for a bit cause its plain dumb. I will now search Google for another site that does the same thing and add my content to that site instead, leaving nothing but complaints on your site.

Awesome plan guys..

10. MrBeLu

MrBeLu Member

Best Answers:
    I have a spy microphone installed in the digitalpoint headquarters, I can confirm that they just had an emergency meeting. They discussed it for 4 hours, but could not agree on lowering the likes count to post on BST section. One of them threatened to start a new forum and got google involved, so you should be able to find a new forum to post on.

What can I say, a pretty dump situation they have there.

MrBeLu, Dec 8, 2013 IP
  11. Brent Armstrong

Brent Armstrong Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I am activity searching for other sites now. I have found many for my specific needs already and I will be passing them on to the people that referred me here. It's funny really, the guys that referred me here tell me this sites awesome and I can do all this cool stuff. I was like nice, let me sign up. Then, I sign up and you say I need to make friends first and I can't actually do any of the cool stuff. So now, I go tell the people that sent me here that it's a joke and show them other sites that actually follow through with the cool stuff.

Pretty obvious to see why this will never work.

12. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well whoever pointed you here to run a design contest as a new user definitely misled you. That area has always been a benefit strictly for contributing members. If you are here just for that, check out 99 Designs: http://99designs.com/ . That's what the site is for (again, on this site it's only a benefit for good users, it's not what the site revolves around).

digitalpoint, Dec 8, 2013 IP
  13. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You'd be amazed how many people come to this forum, do trade with a newbie (to this forum), get ripped off and feel aggrieved.

Then there are others who get ripped off and when you look through the bad guy's post history there will be
    • posts from people complaining about him
    • endless posts comparing one cricketer with another
    • posts in the "do you like cats" thread
    and the rest of us wonder why on earth the "victim" didn't do their due diligence and smell a rat.

On the subject of logo design. Many of our designers fail to watermark their images and put up good quality work in contests. Unscrupulous users then take the design and use it while posting that there was nothing they liked, or just disappearing. The designer then feels ripped off (justifiably) but again - before s/he decides to come up with a design s/he can look through the thread starter's posting history and see if it's full of fluff or proper discussions about related subjects.

It's not about making friends - it's about building credibility.

I'm guessing that when you posted you didn't bother to read the other threads in this section. You probably could have saved yourself some time and effort by reading what a stupid forum!

sarahk, Dec 8, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk and Arick unirow like this.
  14. Brent Armstrong

Brent Armstrong Peon

Best Answers:
    Correct on me not reading much more. I came here for one reason and that was to post in that section. It's not like any of us go to read a book about dogs but decide to read the entire internet first. Anyways, this is just dumb to go on about. Clearly I am not alone here, clearly no one is going to like me, and clearly I am not credible. Ya know, I get what you say about designers getting scammed but that is honestly a risk they should know they are taking and they should do their own homework. Can't say it's a good idea to shoo away new users to your site for something you honestly can't control but whatever. I will look at some of the off site suggestions posted. Thanks for those and enjoy your future battles. You guys surely have canned answers for these all now so at least they don't take you much time to brush off.

And for everyone that agrees with me on this issue thanks for the likes. Oh wait, I have none.

15. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Oh, and how do they "do their own homework" when you have no history?

sarahk, Dec 8, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  16. Brent Armstrong

Brent Armstrong Peon

Best Answers:
    Like you said man, check to see how many posts they have and what they are. If there is nothing then don't play ball if you don't want to. We all can evaluate risks and make decisions.

No need to shoo away new should be valued members.

17. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    So you think the forum should have no requirements at all?
    Or you'd prefer a pay to post section?
    And it's "tough luck, shoulda done your homework" for anyone who gets ripped off?

Since this isn't working for you maybe we can learn from your utopian vision.

BTW sarah is normally a woman's name and not a "man", and I like triathlons too.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
    sarahk, Dec 8, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk, Arick unirow and kingofking like this.
  18. Brent Armstrong

Brent Armstrong Peon

Best Answers:
    Does it really matter what I think, me being not liked and not creditable? The answer to that question is no, nor should it be. Considering your name Sarah has the name staff next to it and considering the amount of heat your forum is getting on this subject it's probably something you should start thinking about. It would certainly be more beneficial than the happiness and feeling of self accomplishment involved with arguing on the internet.

Yes though, I deal with many internet designers that do insane amounts of mockups just for a shot at a deal. Again, we all can evaluate risks and make decisions. The other option here though is plan A, staff members like yourself do a little research to make things better for both designers and buyers.

19. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You've chosen to be the tall poppy that sticks his head up and demands to be noticed so your opinion is a good place to start.

Don't be fooled into thinking that staff = paid, the "staff" are just moderators who try to keep things ticking over - usually invisibly. Pretty much like any number of other people giving up their time on sites like dmoz, v7n, facebook and so on. None of the staff are kids and from what I've seen the work done by the other mods we all try to remain even tempered and impartial.

The rules here have evolved over 10 years, driven by the problems that we see arising and our endeavours to use software (rather than our time) to limit them. We do research how other sites work, and what users think - right now you can consider yourself a research subject.

sarahk, Dec 8, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  20. Brent Armstrong

Brent Armstrong Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, what I was really looking to do when I first started this post was reach out to admins like yourself to see if there is something attainable I could do to try and prove myself worthy of posting in the buying section. Thanks to Smyrl for showing me the $25 dollar option but unfortunately based on principle alone I must refuse this option.