1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

GoDaddy Versus HostGator (as a host)

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by CandleKeep, Dec 6, 2013.

Hey guys.

There have been a lot of people bashing HostGator as of late, because they recently merged with a larger company and people have been bashing their new "centralized" hosting and support.

I was wondering who YOUR favorite host is, and particularly...

How GoDaddy compares to HostGator these days?

Does GoDaddy hosting suck?

I would love to hear from anyone who uses GoDaddy and who can compare it with HostGator.

Thanks for any chime in!!

CandleKeep, Dec 6, 2013 IP
  2. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I dont know about now but HG used to have amazing support, but I left hostgator years before any such merger, simply as their servers were so heavily overloaded that my new sites with minimal traffic were loading so slow it was just ridiculous.

I havent tried godaddy for hosting (nor would I) however, as its their own custom control panel, it makes it a little bit more difficult to move to a different host down the track. Whileas with HG, its cpanel based, makes it very easy to move.

matt_62, Dec 6, 2013 IP
  3. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Godaddy is the worst host.

Their backend is a complete buggy mess, they constantly are thrown ads in your face and fill shopping cart full of stuff and sending your to buy it. Support sucks and will tell you things are fix you just have to "wait 36hrs for it to propagate" then in 36hrs you still have the same problem. Many of the "problems" can be fixed with buying extra services.

One big giant scam. I would rather deal with host gator.

averyz, Dec 7, 2013 IP
  4. RobinInTexas

RobinInTexas Active Member

Best Answers:
    I had quite a few sites at Hostmonster (now located on the same server farm as Hostgator) and I came up with a short list of shared hosting providers that seem reasonable and don't get many bad reviews :
    http://glowhost.com/
    http://www.froghost.com/Webhosting
    http://www.site5.com/hosting/web/
    http://www.siteground.com/
    http://www.jaguarpc.com/web-hosting/
    http://www.arvixe.com/
    http://www.pacifichost.com/

I moved several of my sites to Glowhost, because they seemed to be the best deal for me. They handled the relocation of more than 25 sites without a glitch, no downtime.

Hostgator, Hostmonster, Bluehost, Ipage, JustHost and FatCow are all heavily promoted hosts that are owned by EIG and most are hosted in the same datacenter owned by EIG [Endurance International Group] and are quickly gaining a reputation for bad customer service and lousy performance.
    See a complete list of EIG sites [to stay away from]here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance_International_Group

RobinInTexas, Dec 7, 2013 IP
  5. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    thanks averyz for the insight into GD.

you know, one thing that i still remember from HG, was when I left. I sent in my cancellation notice and this was the reply:
    to this date, not one other host has offered me free 2 months hosting, and keep in mind it was a reseller account, $25 per month.
    I really did fall in love with the HG support, but having a loving warm feeling each time you speak with support, doesnt last long when sites load painfully slow.

matt_62, Dec 7, 2013 IP
  6. hanady

hanady Member

Best Answers:
    Godaddy's hosting sucks totally, their support team is a night mare. On of my websites was done for over a week due to an error they had when I downgraded my hosting plan and eventhough I contacted them, they said thanks for reporting this issue and we would be working on it to fix it. However, I couldn't wait more that a week, so I had to switch to hostgator.

hanady, Dec 7, 2013 IP
  7. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I liked HG for a while I was using them about 4-7 years ago, they had cpanel and live 24/7 support. Then the support started getting bad, no live people "support tickets" that would get copy paste responses so I stopped using them. For a while they were good I put a lot of sites on them with no problems, but seems like they really went downhill.

averyz, Dec 7, 2013 IP
  8. Francis-e

Francis-e Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    According to me both of them don't work good for me but when it comes to comparison then I say Hostgator is better then Godaddy as Godaddy is a little confusing and most of the time it does not supports some of the scripts

Francis-e, Dec 7, 2013 IP
  9. micksss

micksss Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Godaddy now has cPanel which is a good move. I still wouldn't use them for hosting, but it's good news for those that do use GD that end up wanting to move to another host, cPanel backup and restore. Although who knows if they modified their cPanel to make it a pain to move...

micksss, Dec 7, 2013 IP
  10. 2funhosting

2funhosting Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think now a days goddady is better than hostgator.

2funhosting, Dec 8, 2013 IP
  11. alex06295

alex06295 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    GoDaddy can't be good service provider for both i.e. domain name and hosting.

Godaddy is good for domain name while HostGator is good for hosting.. and this combination is really good combination.

If you are using domain name from Godaddy, you must use hosting from HostGator, this thing will help you provide security and you won't have any issues in future.. if you get both domain name and hosting from one provider, it may create problem in future as well.

alex06295, Dec 8, 2013 IP
  12. Kushal Biswas

Kushal Biswas Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have used hostgator previously ... The support was pretty good and if you are having a small business site then you should not face any problem with hostgator.

But from my personal experience, I prefer bluehost and networksolutions more than any other ..

Kushal Biswas, Dec 8, 2013 IP
  13. tech-24x7

tech-24x7 Member

Best Answers:
    hostgator.by my opinion.

tech-24x7, Dec 9, 2013 IP
  14. pooya

pooya Active Member

Best Answers:
    I used to use netfirms before, id say it is still good for buying domain names. But for hosting, especially for their support you cannot go wrong with HG... GD sucks sorry to say, their website is way too confusing.

pooya, Dec 9, 2013 IP
  15. CandleKeep

CandleKeep Active Member

Best Answers:
    You know what I'd love to see?

A similar site hosted on GD and HG (both hostgator shared hosting) and then compare the speed.

Someone get it done.

:D

(I might do this)..

CandleKeep, Dec 9, 2013 IP
  16. TVBIS

TVBIS Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Both not nice, Godaddy is the best choice for so far, good uptime and good support. (for problems, yes it can takes up to a few hours)
    Hostgator have more downtimes and a limited performance per user. A lot users have problems with Hostgator because their stupid "unlimited" space & bandwidth. If you reach the 5gb you can get problems.
    So simple: Hostgator is not trusted for business usage.

Hosting24 & Namecheap are good hosters for so far, if you search for it.

TVBIS, Dec 10, 2013 IP
  17. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I have used GD to acquire domain names for many years. I have not used them for hosting. I have used HG for hosting for many years. Just a couple of months ago, HG support (which has always been great) went above and beyond what I could reasonably expect them to do in helping me with a problem caused by my own actions. They have thus earned my loyalty (and posts like these) forever. I am not sure when they were acquired and when their support was supposed to have gone downhill, but if it was prior to the past couple of months, I have not seen anything diminish in that regard.

jrbiz, Dec 10, 2013 IP
  18. chanif.alfath

chanif.alfath Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm still using hostgator until now..but only for some part of my sites.. i already move my high-traffic site to digitalocean nowadays, they cheap & cloud..
    never got any complain until now, so i'm satisfied with digitalocean.

chanif.alfath, Dec 10, 2013 IP
  19. ChrisBa

ChrisBa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'd say neither to be honest. I'd rather get a Vps with liquidweb or beyondhosting

ChrisBa, Dec 10, 2013 IP
  20. ProMoney28

ProMoney28 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I dont like them, I'm using Banahosting.com and me and a lot of people i know are using them and they are very happy.

I get all my tickets replied in less than 30 minutes and thats a good point, Pricing is really good but service is awesome.

ProMoney28, Dec 10, 2013 IP