1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Most web directorys's pagerank drop

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Forumdirectory, Dec 6, 2013.

Today google pagerank update,i found most directory's pr is drop.
    how about your site?

Forumdirectory, Dec 6, 2013 IP
  2. seofriend

seofriend Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Mine's Improved
    from 0 to 5

seofriend, Dec 7, 2013 IP
  3. sunilmamo

sunilmamo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am seeing mixed results, none of my directories have lost PR although there are a few which has gone down. There is one PR N/A directory which has gone up to PR3.

sunilmamo, Dec 7, 2013 IP
  4. philip.morris236

philip.morris236 Active Member

Best Answers:
    got 3 PR2 from 2 and 2 .. PR 7 from 6

philip.morris236, Dec 7, 2013 IP
  5. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I had several increase to 4 and one go down from 5 to 4. Overall, nothing extraordinary. Pretty good internal pagerank showing too.

dvduval, Dec 7, 2013 IP
  6. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Most of websites (including directories) increased in PR too

Nima, Dec 7, 2013 IP
  7. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    They are either up or the same, but does it really matter?

swedal, Dec 7, 2013 IP
    snakeair likes this.
  8. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things but there are still countless number of people who think toolbar PR is what determines the site's worthiness (ex. small business owners who want to submit their sites to 'quality' directories).

Nima, Dec 7, 2013 IP
  9. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Had to double check the date on this post. I am pretty confident that PR as directories are concerned has been rather insignificant as a selling point or promotional tool for quite some time. ;)

Mia, Dec 12, 2013 IP
  10. kfander

kfander Member

Best Answers:
    Jasmine Directory (not mine) went up from PR-4 to PR-6. Probably more went down than up but, if you think of it, there are probably more that deserve to go down than there are those that deserve to go up. That said, some went down for reasons that I don't understand. Any idea why World Site Index lost its rank? It went from a 5 to a 2 a few months ago, then lost it entirely with the last update.

kfander, Dec 12, 2013 IP
  11. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    If you really want to know WHY something went up or down.. Look at the backlinks... That will tell you whether it was "deserved" or "contrived".

Mia, Dec 17, 2013 IP
  12. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Same stuff, different update. The directories selling listings based on PR eventually go down. The directory owners building a resource will eventually see increases. Everyone in the middle generally stays the same. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz nothing new here. This post could carry any date within the past 5 years and the conversation would be exactly the same.

YMC, Dec 17, 2013 IP
  13. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Sure, very little has changed.

Mia, Dec 18, 2013 IP
  14. earticles

earticles Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Jasminedirectory.com (not mine but i'd love to) is really worth, seems Google appreciated its quality, no spammy titles, good descriptions. I observed the majority of the directories whose PR dropped are full of spammy text links following the pattern of... "Best insurance company Texas"... Matt Cutts clearly stated that such directories will be penalized.

earticles, Dec 18, 2013 IP
  15. Floralys

Floralys Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    1. PR has no relevancy these days, of course, only if you see a drop from 5 to 0. Or if I'd see a homepage with PR5-8 and no PR on any inner page, that's an issue. Fluctuations like +1, +2 or -1, -2 are normal.

There is no measurable metric, that has relevancy when it comes to the (almost dead) web directory industry. Not even the MOZ metrics. Only a human can appreciate the quality by browsing a bit a specific directory.

2. A year or two ago Matt Cutts expressed Google's point of view about directories:

There are still thousands of spam directories. Directories where everyone can get in. Directories that have no editorial discretion whatsoever. Directories that accept any trash website, with any manipulative anchor text and keyword stuffed descriptions. What is the value this directories offer to the end user!?

The whole idea of a web directory is to have a catalog of useful websites. Not SEO as many advertise themselves: "Submit NOW to my free web directory, to get another backlink for seooooo!!!!!!! I'm PR8 because I hacked a website and placed a white pixel!!!!!".

Theoretically, these are real web directories:

Digital Librarian
    ipl2
    The WWW Virtual Library

+ DMOZ, which unfortunately due the lack of time of many editors/metas has untouched cats, even since 2007.

Regarding Yahoo, of course, for $299/year - they have all the reasons to manually review a website. They accept even adult websites for $600.

Now, the main question is: How many directories out there, have their own editors? How many mine for good resources and ad them? In how many directories will you find NASA? Or Biology.com? How many OLD directories, advertising themselves as "since 19xx" are filled with "Best seo company | guaranteed results | Call us now!!!". If you do a dead link search with a tool like Xenu, you'll find 30-40% dead links.

So, should Google (or I, as an average user) trust such directories? Absolutely no. No matter how many backlinks they have or what PR (there is a pattern, as someone mentioned. Matt Cutts mentioned in the video they treat a web directory with no editorial discretion as a paid link seller and it is possible to lower their PR and give no credit at all to all outgoing links.)

3. Now, of course that if you don't have a lot of time to spend for free, it all comes down to money. That is why I fully understand why some reputable and well maintained directories charge a REVIEW FEE. WHICH IS NOT A GUARANTEED INCLUSION FEE, but you pay for a editor to spare a few minuted and browse your website and decide if it is really worth accepting it or refund.

Money is needed to maintain and develop any business. No one is going to stay 5-6 hours/day to fill your cats and subcats with useful resources. No one will stay for free to explain a novice webmaster why his listing was rejected, why the spammy title and/or description was re-written or why he moved his listing in a proper category. Because, as we all know, 99% of webmasters tend to suggest their website to the very top category, even if his website belongs to the regional section or a deeper, more appropriate subcategory.

4. How to make profit from a web directory? Take DirJournal as an example. What it was and what it became. There were $xxxxx invested, I'm sure (no, it's not mine). They have several blogs, the site looks nice and is well maintained. Or Aviva, or BOTW, or even the younger Jasmine (where each cat and subcat has unique content on it, their editors review objectively any site they accept and so on). Yes, it's a hard job, and time consuming.

5. Lastly, the Internet is not what it used to be. It's not like it was 10 years ago. You need to pay to get noticed, by any mean. You need to deliver. But until you afford/can do so, will some of you and link to a website? Of course not. If you can get $50/month for a link why should you bother linking to anything else than Wikipedia and Google. Everything is linked to money. This is a perfect example: searchenginepeople.com/blog/top-25-most-powerful-web-directories-list.html - really??? Based on what? I bet that's a paid post.

In my opinion there are less than 15 directories left, in which is worth submitting a website.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    Floralys, Dec 19, 2013 IP