1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Happy Thanksgiving Day 2013

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by iisp.hk, Nov 27, 2013.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
    iisp.hk, Nov 27, 2013 IP
  2. jaybhatt

jaybhatt Member

Best Answers:
    Same to you dear..

jaybhatt, Nov 28, 2013 IP
    iisp.hk likes this.
  3. dean1122

dean1122 Member

Best Answers:
    Special Thanks for
    and for all the respectiable members for their usefull contribution.

dean1122, Nov 28, 2013 IP
    iisp.hk likes this.
  4. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    OMG....the turkey is being put in the oven, the pumpkin pie has been baked...I am just four hours away from the feast! This is likely my favorite meal of the year and I would be hardpressed to say which of the foods I am looking forward to most.

jrbiz, Nov 28, 2013 IP
    iisp.hk likes this.
  5. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Got my turkey in with a 2pm target... Made 4 pies from scratch (well, if Jiffy pie crust mix can be considered "scratch"), one mince, one apple, and two pumpkin. Originally I was only going to make one pumpkin, but I had a accident with the condensed milk so had to add more pumpkin and egg; but thankfully the piemaker has plenty of extra pie-pans.... Did most of my prep yesterday having made the stuffing ahead of time and sliced up the potatoes to steep in a salt/sugar brine.

The bird soaked submerged in a orange juice, pomegranate juice and salt-water brine for a good four days for it's thaw; should be really tender by the time it's done...

... and enough about cooking, on to crushing EVERYTHING you learned in American History about thanksgiving.

1) Never happened. There may have been a harvest festival in 1621, but that would have been late september, October at the latest.

2) Pretty much made up after the Civil War to 'help' with reunification.

3) The Pilgrim Separatists who landed in Plymouth were NOT Puritans. The Puritans are the ones who settled Boston. The Pilgrims came here for a kindler gentler church, and to be frank were basically hippies. (Just look at the names of some of their kids -- moon, star, pestilence... uhm, ok, maybe not that last one). The Puritans who came to Boston in 1630 thought the Church of England was a little too warm and fuzzy for their tastes; which is akin to founding your own Islamic extremist group because Hezbollah is a little too warm and fuzzy for your tastes.

The Pilgrims were socially the polar OPPOSITE of the Puritans - If anything the Pilgrims endured a nasty ass voyage to get away from up-tight religious extremists LIKE the Puritans... Who to be frank... the Puritans who founded Boston were the Westboro Baptist of the 17th Century. There's a reason Roger Williams said "Screw you guys, I'm out." and went to found Rhode Island.

4) The black hats with white starched buckles and dressing in all black, with the white bonnets for women? That was the PURITANS, NOT the Pilgrims!!!. The Pilgrims dressed in an assortment of multi-coloured outfits, Governor Bradford in particular was known to prance (yes, PRANCE) around town in a rather foppish purple suit... If anything they looked like rejects from the set of one of the "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies.

5) Was NOT the first British colony -- that was Roanoke. Was NOT the first successful colony, that was Jamestown... WAS the first colony to have womenfolk and children.

Needless to say, having worked at Plimoth Plantation as a child, growing up with a family friend who is the leading authority on 17th century America, and later working there as an adult for a few years... Well, can you guess I gave my history teachers a hard time.

Alright, getting down off the soapbox let's get back to what's important about today -- stuffing one's face until you pass out! What could be more American than that? (oh wait, tomorrow...)

deathshadow, Nov 28, 2013 IP
    iisp.hk likes this.
  6. SEO-King

SEO-King Peon

Best Answers:
    Happy Holidays :)

SEO-King, Nov 28, 2013 IP
    iisp.hk likes this.
  7. ViolentAJ

ViolentAJ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Happy Thanksgiving. I hope that everyone had a good one.

ViolentAJ, Nov 28, 2013 IP
    iisp.hk likes this.
  8. iisp.hk

iisp.hk Active Member

Best Answers:
    [​IMG]
    To all nice, lovely, contributing DPers!

iisp.hk, Nov 28, 2013 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  9. iisp.hk

iisp.hk Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hello jrbiz!
    [​IMG]

iisp.hk, Nov 28, 2013 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  10. iisp.hk

iisp.hk Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hello deathshadow, pleasure to meet you here on DP. I much appreciate your time for sharing the American History about thanksgiving. Happy holiday!

iisp.hk, Nov 28, 2013 IP
  11. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Oh, woe is me. I ate way too much yesterday. I may never eat again.

Can't wait for next year, of course.

jrbiz, Nov 29, 2013 IP
  12. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Me two. Me and my wife went for a walk yesterday right after the dinner and I made it to a park today for another round of walking. I think I will still gain a lb or two. C'est la vie.

qwikad.com, Nov 29, 2013 IP
  13. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I tried to go for a walk after the meal but ran into a major problem: the exit path to the door took me right past the dessert table. Never got farther than that. I think that I am going to treat this as a learning experience and buy stock in the antacid companies next September or so.

jrbiz, Nov 30, 2013 IP
  14. MDSEO

MDSEO Member

Best Answers:
    it's time to gather with family ..... #happythanksgiving iisp.hk

MDSEO, Dec 1, 2013 IP
  15. iisp.hk

iisp.hk Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you Tonny, have a wonderful week! :)

Happy new week, MDSEO!

iisp.hk, Dec 1, 2013 IP