1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Registrar Lock - is it really safe?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by hungvn9, Nov 26, 2013.

Most domain registrars provide this service for free to prevent domains from being stolen or transfered. But I do not understand why it is safe when people who can access to the domain account also can turn this off (release the Locked) themself. It means that if anyone has my account password, he also can releases the locked domain and transfers it to any where he wants.
    So I wonder how Registrar Lock service can protect my domains?

hungvn9, Nov 26, 2013 IP
  2. toniya

toniya Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If domain is locked by reseller or registrar, it cannot be unlocked by you. domain lock has 2 levels.

toniya, Nov 27, 2013 IP
  3. hungvn9

hungvn9 Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you. So how to unlock in this case? And I still see registrar like Godaddy, Namecheap (and most registrars, if I am not wrong) say users can lock and unlock anytime they want through Account Manager. And practically we can do that easily.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

hungvn9, Nov 27, 2013 IP
  4. toniya

toniya Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Click 'on' and go to manage :D

toniya, Nov 27, 2013 IP
  5. hungvn9

hungvn9 Member

Best Answers:
    any more idea about this?

hungvn9, Dec 10, 2013 IP
  6. Dave Zan

Dave Zan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Think of that as a "belt and suspenders" approach. If your belt fails, your suspenders keep your pants up, heh.

That lock thing does seem pointless at first for the reason you stated. However, one scenario where that may work is if someone requests to transfer your domain name without breaking into your domain account. That assumes, though, that the person also controls the email address on record.

Dave Zan, Dec 11, 2013 IP
  7. cochisetm

cochisetm Member

Best Answers:
    You are exactly correct. Registry-level locking only helps insomuch as you keep your registrar account safe. If someone gains access to your registrar account, they will likely be able to unlock your domains, change WHOIS and also retrieve the EPP transfer code. Those things are enough to transfer your domain away to a different registrar, in essence costing you your domain. Some registrars provide additional security In the event your account is improperly accessed. For example, I use NameSilo and they offer Domain Defender (http://www.namesilo.com/Support/Domain-Defender). I would also recommend selecting a registrar that offer two-factor authentication. Here is a list: http://www.domaininvesting.com/domain-registrars-that-offer-two-factor-authentication/.

cochisetm, Dec 19, 2013 IP
  8. hungvn9

hungvn9 Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks cochisetm, your links are very helpful

hungvn9, Dec 27, 2013 IP