1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wordpress Help!

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by N1NJA, Nov 16, 2013.

Hi i setup a wordpress website, i'm not sure if i auto installed it or manually installed it. Why i'm saying this, i did press in my host auto install but nothing showed up on the domain. So i uploaded the WordPress files via ftp..

After uploading the files i couldn't find the install. So i go contact my web host and they go it's installed but not on the main domain folder.. it's on a sub folder install. The problem is i need the install on www,google,com not www,google,com/wordpress im using Google as a example..

Right the site is live how would i go about moving the whole site to the main domain ?? i would like to lose the folder wordpress ?? And i do not want the site to crash ? Also i did try to setup a redirect that made the whole site crash, witch is stupid..

Also check out the screen shot for folder structure within web host.. Thanks

People any advice would be highly appreciated.. Thanks in advance people.

Attached Files:

N1NJA, Nov 16, 2013 IP
  2. nks

nks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just based on your screenshot, I have a good feeling that you have installed the WordPress onto the sub-folder \wordpress instead. So, assuming if you have a domain name (www.mydomain.com), then try to point it to www.mydomain.com/wordpress; hopefully you'll get to see your WordPress installation there.

If that's not the place to install the WordPress, then I suggest you MOVE all the files from \wordpress to the root directory (i.e. one folder above it), so that the site will appear on www.mydomain.com.

Hope this helps.

nks, Nov 16, 2013 IP
  3. N1NJA

N1NJA Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    @nks Yep dude your stop on, i have installed it on a sub folder.. So moving the files will not crash the site ??? Thanks

N1NJA, Nov 17, 2013 IP
  4. competent123

competent123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    of course it will

because in database , the setting to display your site is google.com/wordpress

to move wordpress do this

make sure you have access to phpmyadmin of the relevant database

wp_options

there you will see www.google.com/wordpress/ on page 1 and page 2

change it to www.google.com

then COPY the files to main folder ( dont' move it yet, just in case you mess up something)

make sure you have disabled any cache plugins like supercache etc.

it should work now.

if not, ask us here, we'll see what we can do.

competent123, Nov 17, 2013 IP
  5. faust1611

faust1611 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you are in panic -redo all, delete files, delete database, nothing is of importance. start again and install on root folder. peace of mind

faust1611, Nov 17, 2013 IP
  6. N1NJA

N1NJA Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks people your advice worked like a charm :) i just moved the wordpress files to public html folder, modded phpmyadmin and its working perfectly :) Thanks

N1NJA, Nov 18, 2013 IP
  7. nks

nks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, it won't crash the site. It is only a 2 step procedure:
    1. Access Settings > General in WordPress Admin: Ensure that both WordPress Address (URL) and Site Address (URL) are updated and pointing to the right domain.
    2. Move everything (files & folders) from \wordpress folder to the root directory.
    But seeing your previous post, that you've managed to do it successfully using a separate approach - good job!

nks, Nov 19, 2013 IP