1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How can i start my paragraphs with[Help]

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Megamon, Nov 1, 2013.

Well i was wondering as my english is not perfect i wanna learn how to start my paragraphs.

For example i know that i can use :

However that was an amazing website blah blah blah.
    Last but not least i would like to suggest blah blah blah.

But what else could i use to start my paragraphs? I dont even know how to say this correctly but i hope you understand and being able to help me out.

Solved! View solution.
    Megamon, Nov 1, 2013 IP
  2. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Three paragraph starters that I personally use are:
    "I would like to add"....
    Another one is:
    "And in addition"....
    If you wish to accent a point or two you can write:
    "Above this I would like to emphasize"....

Spoiltdiva, Nov 1, 2013 IP
  3. Megamon

Megamon Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    thanks dude:D for the help i am looking forward to listen to more.

Megamon, Nov 1, 2013 IP
  4. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    If I had known that you were going to refer to me as "dude", I wouldn't have bothered commenting on your thread. I'm not particularly interested in dealing with a teenager, they flat out irritate me.

Spoiltdiva, Nov 1, 2013 IP
    Vlasic and ryan_uk like this.
  5. Dave Zan

Dave Zan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Megamon,

If you're writing to inform your readers, then start your paragraph with the main idea you want to express. Let your sentences "expand" on that idea. More importantly, keep your sentences clear, concise, and to the point.

For example, you found this great website that gives coupons to lower the price for registering domain names. Start your paragraph with something like, "I found this cool website that contains coupons to lower the price for registering a domain name. It's called blah. Let me add that with it, blah blah..."

There are lots of ways to start a paragraph. Ultimately, you decide how or what to start that paragraph with as long as your reader immediately understands and benefits from it.

Here's one source I often refer to (and by a writer who's way younger than me):

http://www.writerstreasure.com/

Heh, to think that we all started as teenagers.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
    Dave Zan, Nov 1, 2013 IP
  6. Conran

Conran Active Member

Best Answers:
    Don't forget to make it familiar to the reader. You don't want to come across as a robot relaying the contents of a textbook. The subject matter and those who will be reading it should always be in the front of your mind. There should be a focus on the correct use of English, but you shouldn't write like Russell Brand if you're selling dating memberships to frat boys, for example. They will probably not connect with the content if the writing style doesn't suit them.

While one style of writing might seem professional it's important to keep in mind that you need to engage your audience. Consider the content, then consider the audience - write as they would speak.

Conran, Nov 2, 2013 IP
  7. Megamon

Megamon Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Whetever , i am referring everyone like that , or even bro*

I dont know you, you dont know me , what is the wrong on that? When you dont know the dislikes of a person.

And yet my english is not perfect. I have been around in forums years now people call people ( Dude,bro)

I actually dont find any wrong on that.

Megamon, Nov 3, 2013 IP
  8. Megamon

Megamon Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Thanks for the tips* you are awesome:D

It's that i dont know how to start my paragraphs and i am usualling starting with ( And if.... And blah blah) but now you guys you helped me out iw ill write them on notepad so i can remember them ::p

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2013
    Megamon, Nov 3, 2013 IP
  9. Conran

Conran Active Member

Best Answers:
    You're welcome.

I was primarily focusing on the suggestion of using "In addition..." and "I would like to add..." etc. Think about your audience when you're writing, if you're selling to the average man or woman on the street, these examples are not really appropriate, they are formal language. You're not hosting a seminar in front of businesspeople (or perhaps you are, in which case they would be good examples lol).

If you're blogging, there is a natural lean towards an informal style, being personable and writing more loosely, while a succinct and professional approach would be good for e-commerce sites, or B2B sites.

Conran, Nov 3, 2013 IP
  10. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    We (most on here) are dealing with fellow businessmen/women. You are needlessly nitpicking and over complicating what is essentially simple, because you want to portray yourself as the know it all on writing....laughable.:)

P.S. I was a keynote speaker at a seminar. The subject was "How to get your message across through advertising". I spoke at length on how to write to the masses.;)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
    Spoiltdiva, Nov 3, 2013 IP
  11. Conran

Conran Active Member

Best Answers:
    Professionals conduct themselves with more maturity. You are coming across as incredibly insecure, unable to accept a differing opinion, and using childish attacks to bolster your point.

I am not trying to portray myself as anything other than a creator of written content. Your insecurity is showing.

Conran, Nov 3, 2013 IP
  12. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Every action produces a reaction. Insecurity no, you just ticked me off with your know it all attitude. I take exception to newbies who lack a bit of humility.

13. Conran

Conran Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's amusing to me that you liked and supported a previous post of mine in another discussion, and then outright attacked me when I offered a differing view to yours in this discussion. It seems that you prefer it if everyone do as they are told, keep in line and agree with everything you say.

I take exception to those who believe they themselves are the ultimate authority, then proceed to behave like a child when confronted with a differing opinion.

Thank you for exposing this attitude, I was really beginning to like you and your opinions. I would have hated to have spent months appreciating your views only to then find that you're actually a very insecure person ready to attack anyone who disagrees with you. That would have been far more disappointing.

Conran, Nov 3, 2013 IP
  14. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    First off I need to apologize to the OP for this thread being hijacked, this was not my intention.
    To you @Conran, you came across (then) as knowledgeable on my thread which is why I was complimentary. I believe in giving credit where credit is due. On this thread I have not "attacked" you, rather I merely reacted to a comment you made. Kindly get over it, and I'm so sorry if you're feelings got hurt.:rolleyes:
    Honestly if you feel that my comments were "attacking" you.....I mean if that's all it takes for you to be upset, then perhaps the internet is not for you.;)

Now kindly leave this thread and give it back to the OP who is a true gentleman, and sent me a very nice PM.

15. Conran

Conran Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yet you did it anyway. I agree that it wasn't nice to hijack the discussion, but you did that by attacking me, lets make that perfectly clear rather than you trying to deflect blame to make me the "bad guy".

I have offered my opinions in this thread, which you took exception to. I hope that my opinion has assisted the OP, and I believe it has achieved more than simply saying "Shut up! I'm right!" :D

Conran, Nov 3, 2013 IP
  16. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    *Finally*...something we can both agree on!:rolleyes:

17. TextServices

TextServices Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's not about what a person likes or dislikes. Their "pet peeves". It's about common courtesy and manners. Why not just reply with a simple "thank you" or nice words if you felt what the person wrote was indeed helping you? Especially when you do not know the gender of the person you are communicating with.

Another way to look at it... It would be like me replying to you and writing, "Thanks a lot sista! That gave me a good place to start!" If you are male, you might not appreciate being referred to as "sista". If you are female, you might not appreciate the slang either when a simple "thank you" would suffice.

Just because people commonly use the words "dude" and "bro" on forums, doesn't make it right. It's not even good English. If you're trying to learn a language or improve your skills of a particular language, general forums are not the sources you want to learn from due to all the slang and 'relaxed' English used. Even some people in which English is their mother tongue, often butcher the language when posting on forums. It's okay if you want to use "dude" or "bro" when communicating with you friends or some casual forum and you know the gender of the person, but it's generally not acceptable on forums where you are seeking help from others, even more so if the person you are replying to is someone you do not know.

TextServices, Nov 3, 2013 IP
    Vlasic likes this.
  18. Megamon

Megamon Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    when you gave me an example with the "sista" it was quite funny:D
    About my manners is not something i would talk about:) The way i am is nobody is going to change. Accept me for that i am or hate me.

Its simple as that.

In the fact i was never an gentleman and never a polite person i am myself i am freely , i wanna be the person who does not care about what other people thinks* i only care about me being myself than a lair.

I can understand when a person says to me that he did not like something,thats why when he says i stop it.
    I understand because there is things i dont like and when i express my feelings some people is taking like "hahaha" and saying "it wasn't a reason to get mad" , but i can still understand those who does not understand me because even for me is like saying to me to stop but i can't just can't stop.

But anyways i wanna leave my phycology out of it.

I would like to thank everyone for your time and you are really good persons:)

Megamon, Nov 4, 2013 IP
  19. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    There you go, I will agree 100% with you on that. I share the same philosophy.;)

Spoiltdiva, Nov 4, 2013 IP
    You can start your paragraph with phrases like:

"In a moment..."

"Do you feel like..."

"(Insert famous quote)..."

"According to (name of organization)..."

"The end is near..."

Again, it depends what you want to say, or what message you want to tell your readers. As someone here also said, it depends on your audience.

Here's another useful resource when I feel stuck on how to start my paragraph:

http://www.copyblogger.com/5-simple-ways-to-open-your-blog-post-with-a-bang/

Dave Zan, Nov 4, 2013 IP
    Vlasic likes this.