1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you write when you're not in the mood?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Spoiltdiva, Mar 23, 2012.

1. carolwood

carolwood Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    For writer mood doesn't' mind -have to write and need to write, once you starts it automatically change the mood..

carolwood, Oct 18, 2013 IP
  2. WillmingtonW

WillmingtonW Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with the OP 100%. I have the upmost respect for full time writers because on some days you simply just don't feel like it. On days when I don't feel like writing I will play guitar, work on an image project or do some gaming. I see myself as a fairly creative person and it's all creative!

WillmingtonW, Oct 18, 2013 IP
  3. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    @MontanaG Well there may be times when we *must* write to pay the bills no? So waiting for "an urge" may not work, then what?
    @djmarion Discipline unfortunately is not a virtue that all writers possess, but I do agree that if you have it you can use it to produce.
    @carolwood Automatically? No it's really not that way at all, especially if you've been at it for many years. (writers block/apathy)
    @WillmingtonW I too have respect for full time writers, as I used to be one and know what they have to deal with.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
    Spoiltdiva, Oct 18, 2013 IP
  4. Gloria Rosse

Gloria Rosse Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes I believe that MOOD is an essential part of writing.. Bad Mood can spoil your writing as well Good Mood can add glamour to this .. Writing is something which really needs a fresh mind and healthy mood.. My suggestion will be not to force a person when the one is not at all in a mood to write..

Gloria Rosse, Oct 24, 2013 IP
  5. goldieregalado

goldieregalado Active Member

Best Answers:
    Mood matters a lot for writing but technicalities really matter.. It's better not to write when you are not in a mood but you can utilize time by framing what to write or can gather data for the same.. A preparatory measures can be taken when you are not in a mood and it may freshen up your mood to write and then just go on...

goldieregalado, Oct 25, 2013 IP
  6. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Can you elaborate on this, what kind of "preparatory measures"?
    @Gloria Rosse
    If a client wants an article written and delivered in 24 hours, the mood you are in doesn't matter. The flavor of the content may be affected but still it has to be written. My question in this thread is how does one write when *not* in the mood. What I'm saying is that yes, writers are often "forced" to write when not in the mood, so then what? How does one motivate oneself?

Spoiltdiva, Oct 25, 2013 IP
  7. Gloria Rosse

Gloria Rosse Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hey, my point was, it affects your writing when you are not in a mood to write.. If you are a professional and you have to submit your content in stipulated time you should freshen up yourself by doing such things that makes you happy.. Otherwise you may get a rejection from your client for not providing quality content .. Timely submission matters a lot but quality also matters.. Just you cheer up yourself and then go ahead..

Gloria Rosse, Oct 29, 2013 IP
  8. Conran

Conran Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm surprised that I haven seen this discussion previously!

I have been a writer since the age of twelve, so I have experienced plenty now that I'm in my thirties. I have discovered that even when I'm not in the mood or ideas are not freely flowing, just the act of tapping at a keyboard triggers something. Far too many just wait for inspiration to arrive, while I have found that simply sitting down and starting often leads to some of the most interesting results.

More often than not, even if I don't feel inspired, once I start I find it hard to stop. There have been times when I have struggled to formulate ideas and spent far too long sitting around waiting for something to come to me, but when I have forced myself to just start I have created some of the most amazing characters and formulated some of the most impressive stories.

While I do still work on novels occasionally, the majority of my work these days is in the adult affiliate business. I work for myself and create text for other affiliates. So, the inspiration is often there and simply needs a Human touch to make it unique for either myself or my clients.

Conran, Nov 2, 2013 IP
  9. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Very nicely put, I am surprised that no one on this big thread has so far mentioned the "human touch" as pertaining to writing. I have been waiting for a comment like that. Thanks for submitting an excellent post and elevating the discussion.

Spoiltdiva, Nov 2, 2013 IP
  10. Conran

Conran Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you ;)

I actually just replied to another thread and mentioned something very similar. I see this all the time in my business, where people simply paste in the content supplied, or just spin it while adding nothing of their own making. It reads as shallow content with no personality. I have always found that sales come more often from content where I connect to the audience through offering my opinion or an experience. Simply repeating what happens in a scene doesn't provide anything of real value to the visitor.

That's why I always try to add character to my work for clients. I have several who trust me to update their blogs daily with new content and I always endeavor to add a personal touch to the piece to encourage engagement with the reader. Personality is very important, especially when it comes to the blogging style and affiliate sales.

Conran, Nov 2, 2013 IP
  11. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Oh you're quite welcome I'm sure. I'll agree with you to a point. The "human touch" is vital but in my own experience I've run into issues sometimes by injecting my personality into my writing. You see personalities can clash as egos get involved. I am aggressive and it does tend to land me into hot water on occasion.
    As a writer I do possess certain attributes, but tact and diplomacy are not among them.:cool: And of course not being a natural speaker of English does tend to interfere. Certain terms and phrases which may be acceptable in my native French, don't always translate well into English and vice versa.:oops:

Spoiltdiva, Nov 4, 2013 IP
  12. Bonny Mehta

Bonny Mehta Member

Best Answers:
    Honestly speaking, at least for bread-butter you have to do certain things, and for a writer it is just like bread butter and so even during downtime a writer need to give efforts. it can be in the field of writing on the topic which one likes or read on the topics which he suppose to write or at the extreme level read some controversy or comics. at last, take rest and on the next day, do overtime to recover.

Bonny Mehta, Nov 6, 2013 IP
  13. Vlasic

Vlasic Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Dan Pink said in his interview to copyblogger, 'Writer’s block is bunk. It’s simply a sad excuse for not confronting the blinking cursor and your own inadequacies.'
    Whenever I check my email, or turn on skype, my focus drifts, so I minimize those when I am on deadline.
    Mood comes when I have a good financial motivation, and when I just sit down and get to work.
    DP is also a booster because when I read how eloquent writers craft their ideas I feel both aesthetic pleasure and challenge.

Vlasic, Nov 6, 2013 IP
  14. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    I have often used DP as a motivator to write, when I find myself not in the mood to do so.

@Bonny Mehta, taking a rest is good advice if one can juggle between work schedules and other daily demands.

Spoiltdiva, Nov 6, 2013 IP
  15. Bonny Mehta

Bonny Mehta Member

Best Answers:
    @Spoiltdiva, I agree with u, but one thing want to say that even though it is difficult to juggle between work schedules, it would be better to take rest rather to write which is not much worthy. And when u come back from downtime, u can work with Double Energy and Speed.

Bonny Mehta, Nov 11, 2013 IP
  16. Damina

Damina Peon

Best Answers:
    I find that jotting down headlines helps.

Damina, Nov 15, 2013 IP
  17. jasonryans

jasonryans Peon

Best Answers:
    The way I overcome writers block or get my writing juices flowing when I'm not in the mood is by simply waiting a few hours. I believe that if you wait until you're actually bored, you'll suddenly begin to feel like writing. Boredom breeds creativity. I'm convinced of this.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2013
    jasonryans, Nov 16, 2013 IP
  18. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Interesting perspective, I wish the same held true in regards to boring people. I am surrounded by them at work and in my personal life. I should be creating like a writing machine!:rolleyes:

Spoiltdiva, Nov 17, 2013 IP
  19. EngineerofSuccess

EngineerofSuccess Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    when you are in a not so writing mood and still want to write, have you ever considered using speech recognition to accomplish your blogging and article marketing goals?

EngineerofSuccess, Nov 17, 2013 IP
  20. Conran

Conran Active Member

Best Answers:
    All of the software I have seen is pretty useless for this, even after creating an article using speech software you need to go back through it and change so much to make it readable that you would have saved a lot of time by actually typing it.

Conran, Nov 17, 2013 IP