1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Alternatives to PayPal?

Discussion in 'Payment Processing' started by APDamien, Oct 9, 2013.

I don't have any horror stories of the sort I sometimes see on PayPal forums. But I do have a problem with their policies. This name "APDamien" is a nom de plume. I use it for writing stories that I don't want associated with my real name.

I would also like to be able to buy things (like cover art for my stories) without revealing my real name to the artist. Currently, PayPal will not allow me to have an account in anything other than my real name. No aliases, noms-de-plume, etc. allowed.

So I'm looking for a site that provides a service similar to PayPal -- person-to-person payments -- but will allow me to use an alias.

Note that I'm not trying to evade Federal money-laundering laws. I have no objection to the payment processor knowing my real name. Only to distributing it to random people I buy things from.

When I search for "paypal alternatives," I mostly find sites built for the convenience of merchants. They make it easier to take credit-card payments. I want a person-to-person system, similar to PayPal: you give the email address of the person you want to send money to, and they send him an email inviting him to join. Once he does, he can pick up the money you sent him.

Or something like that. Something that works for individuals, not just businesses.

Anybody know something like that?

APDamien, Oct 9, 2013 IP
  2. kantus

kantus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Most payment processors will require valid name and address to help prevent fraudulent use. I am not saying you're one of these people, but if they did not have such policies in place their payment systems can be abused very easily.

There are some other payment processors like WebMoney or related "e-wallet" services that may not require you to reveal your name to whoever it is you send money to. Another alternative is of course Bitcoin which can be completely anonymous. However the problem with these alternative services is that they are not as widely used/accepted when compared to PayPal.

kantus, Oct 9, 2013 IP
  3. FredrikNas

FredrikNas Member

Best Answers:
    We use stripe.com as alternative for paypal over at domaintower.com, mostly due to all the storiees you hear everywhere, and all the hazzle we had setting it up, but im not sure if they allow incognito mode, havent really ever tried it.

FredrikNas, Oct 10, 2013 IP
  4. MeghanPayPanther

MeghanPayPanther Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually, PayPanther, has great free invoicing software, you can send professional looking invoices via email, even opt to send automatic email reminders to pay the invoice. And process payments online from anywhere in the world.

Did I mention it's completely free? :)

Check it out: PayPanther.com

MeghanPayPanther, Oct 31, 2013 IP
  5. Johnnygood

Johnnygood Active Member

Best Answers:
    Have you tried moneybookers? They seem to be alternative to paypal but without chargebacks.

Thanks,

Johnnygood, Nov 1, 2013 IP
  6. George T.

George T. Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Skrill
    2co

:)

George T., Nov 1, 2013 IP
  7. fun99

fun99 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    +1 for Skrill :)

fun99, Nov 1, 2013 IP
  8. Abiolas Gabriel

Abiolas Gabriel Member

Best Answers:
    payoneer is good go to payoneer dot com

Abiolas Gabriel, Nov 1, 2013 IP
  9. cow666

cow666 Peon

Best Answers:
    Moneybookers/Skrill: http://www.moneybookers.com/ads/micro-payments/antifraud/ "...upon request". Say 99% effective, but you'd better read very carefully the tiny letters down the page when you sign up...

cow666, Nov 1, 2013 IP
  10. ufshane

ufshane Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    ufshane, Nov 1, 2013 IP
  11. WebDev Solutions

WebDev Solutions Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Have either of you two (or anyone else) implemented this with WHMCS software- or know of anyone whom has? It's not a standard payment gateway.

WebDev

WebDev Solutions, Nov 1, 2013 IP
  12. ufshane

Best Answers:
  13. WebDev Solutions

Best Answers:
  14. ufshane

Best Answers:
    Not a problem, the rate is just about the same as PayPal with out the customer hassle of having to sign up with PayPal, and you can take payments over the phone too ;)

ufshane, Nov 1, 2013 IP
    WebDev Solutions likes this.
  15. WebDev Solutions

Best Answers:
    Do you still accept PayPal? If not, did you see any noticeable difference in order numbers after you switched?

WebDev

16. ufshane

Best Answers:
    We have moved away from it, we have a few customers that still want to pay with paypal but it did not make a difference at all

ufshane, Nov 1, 2013 IP
  17. WebDev Solutions

Best Answers:
    Okay, sounds good enough to me. Was the installation of the module fairly straight forward? Just taking a look now.

WebDev

18. ufshane

Best Answers:
    I am not sure if the cc bug with the latest patch is affecting the gateway as we did not have any recurring payments this month yet.

ufshane, Nov 1, 2013 IP
  19. FredrikNas

FredrikNas Member

Best Answers:
    We implemented into wordpress/BC, so not sure about WHMC, but seems you got a good answer on that one. Saw a few plugins on different platforms had problems sending the users email to Stripe, creating a problem with sending out automatic invoices. We asked Stripe about this, and they actually solved the problem over IRC[!!], we sent them a short code-snippet, and they corrected it in only a few minutes, that is some serious geek points right there :)

We like stripe so much we wrote a short post about it: http://domaintower.com/blog/why-we-love-stripe-com/

FredrikNas, Nov 2, 2013 IP
  20. FTS!

FTS! Member

Best Answers:
    Paxum allows p2p transfers without revealing person's real name.
    Or if you have a company, you can register paypal business acccount using the name of your company.

FTS!, Nov 2, 2013 IP