1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is getting back links from Directories is Spam now

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Erin Catorina, Oct 30, 2013.

I am working as SEO for 6 months. My friend is also SEO in another company, which is completely an SEO company; I mean the company where I am working has only a department of SEO. He told me that they are not submitting sites to directories any more, because they are included as spam by Google. As thousands of directories are hosted from the single server. Is it true? We should stop submitting on directories?

Erin Catorina, Oct 30, 2013 IP
  2. stoner3221

stoner3221 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Directories established for the purpose of developing links are now not able to give any link value and excessive numbers of links from such directories will give you a bad link profile. Long established directories like BOTW, Joeant, Goguides, DMOZ, and others are still offering exactly what they were to submitters prior to the link selling frenzy.

stoner3221, Oct 30, 2013 IP
  3. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Saying every directory is hosted on a server with thousands of others is like saying all wine comes from France.

It's true that there were many who saw directories as a get rich quick scheme and launched hundreds of spam-filled directories. But, it's also true that there are some great directories out there that are well-edited and can provide a good advertising opportunity for a website as well as a solid backlink that from all accounts Google still values, albeit quietly.

YMC, Oct 30, 2013 IP
  4. stoner3221

Best Answers:
    Who said "Saying every directory is hosted on a server with thousands of others"?

5. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Reread the original post.

YMC, Oct 30, 2013 IP
  6. stoner3221

Best Answers:
    LOL, need coffee!

7. tornado!

tornado! Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, you should stop submitting to directories. I would bet that some of the spam many have originated from your company.

Having a room filled with computers and people submitting to directories never has been "SEO." Many of these outfits were and still are manual submission spam farms. Why else would someone be concerned about so many directories on the same server if they were not attempting to spam all of them?

tornado!, Oct 30, 2013 IP
  8. Matt Alen

Matt Alen Member

Best Answers:
    i don't think so.
    use high p.r and well established directories , as these directories are a good source of link building.

Matt Alen, Oct 30, 2013 IP
    sunilmamo likes this.
  9. tornado!

tornado! Active Member

Best Answers:
    Once again, a failure of a statement. PR has not been updated in a long time (half a year ago I think) and will not be updated this year because it is broken. Judging quality by a number on a broken toolbar is for the simpleminded.

tornado!, Oct 30, 2013 IP
  10. stoner3221

Best Answers:
    I think the PR hounds are stuck with chasing their tails!

tornado! likes this.
  11. ezmoving

ezmoving Active Member

Best Answers:
    Don't worry about the PR at all, it's going to go away eventually. The only directories I'd use are yelp, dexknows, angieslist, superpages and etc(there are a quite few). And these are mainly for citations. Don't even think about submitting to general directories, doesn't matter how clean or good it looks.

ezmoving, Oct 30, 2013 IP
  12. praetserge

praetserge Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Many say that directories are dead now but they don't understand that they were dead for ages.
    You used to be able to buy a software and submit your site to 5k+ directories... but... There's nothing wrong with good directories as long as you have a very nice link diversification.
    You have to make sure you have links from many many sources and if a particular search engine doesn't like some links then you have lots of links from other sources. It still makes me laugh when people were crying when google hit hard on blog comments.

praetserge, Oct 31, 2013 IP
  13. Erin Catorina

Erin Catorina Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm I got many views, some are in support and some are against the directories. Thanks to all. However, praetsege comment is some how more reasonable.

Erin Catorina, Oct 31, 2013 IP
  14. narendra kumar

narendra kumar Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    its totally rubbish to saying that directory is spam now
    directory sites will not going to replaced and it will remain don't forget after directory sites these huge search engine started or born

narendra kumar, Nov 11, 2013 IP
  15. EngineerofSuccess

EngineerofSuccess Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I would personally recommend to stop submitting to directories altogether. Instead, submit one article a day to an article directory of choice, update your site frequently with fresh and unique content, use content distribution to have your content shared on multiple social networking platforms simultaneously. When you use subscription content distribution, your content is shared on multiple social platforms, thus,creating natural backlinks that search engines will notice and potentially rank you higher for in search engine results pages. you want to seem natural to search engines so that you won't be looked at by search engine spiders as a possible spammer. To sum it all up in a nutshell, article marketing, subscription content distribution and fresh content on your site will help you rank better in major search results pages. And by the way, don't forget the awesome power of the YouTube video marketing and adding links in every new YouTube video description you upload to your channel. Are your creative Internet marketing juices flowing now? :)

EngineerofSuccess, Nov 20, 2013 IP
  16. varindia

varindia Member

Best Answers:
    It will better to submit only quality and unique IP directories. But many SEO companies submitting huge free directories per day, which will be considered spam by Google and other Search engines.

varindia, Nov 22, 2013 IP
  17. EngineerofSuccess

Best Answers:
    You're absolutely right about what you mentioned. One thing I would recommend to everyone is that instead of using an SEO company to optimize their sites and have links submitted to search engines for potential inclusion in search engine results pages, to use content distribution as a subscription service and focus more on creating quality content on their sites.

EngineerofSuccess, Nov 22, 2013 IP
  18. Lee @ Cyber Relief

Lee @ Cyber Relief Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It all depends, if your working for a restaurant then it should be if your local restaurant directory etc... But apart from that I wouldn't bother submitting your site to irrelevant low quality sites. Concentrate on moving the company forward, think of ways to get people talking about you, get people sharing your site, communicate with your audience and most importantly build a brand.

Lee @ Cyber Relief, Nov 22, 2013 IP
  19. EngineerofSuccess

Best Answers:
    I agree with everything you said. Another thing that's really useful with Internet marketing and self-promotion is to auto social bookmark YouTube videos as a means of content distribution. It's a legitimate white hat SEO method of getting back links from YouTube and having your video auto shared on social networks and social bookmarking services. You can also use article marketing and your article publisher RSS feed as a means of auto bookmarking your content on social networks and social bookmarking services. This would give anyone a positive extra boost in search engine results pages of potentially ranking higher, benefiting from increased traffic from search engines, social networks and social bookmarking services simultaneously.adding a Facebook share button on your blog or website from ShareThis is a great way to have your site visitors share your content using their energy on multiple social platforms, thus, you benefiting from increased traffic without having to put in extra effort, giving you extra time to focus on creating unique content for your blog or website.

EngineerofSuccess, Nov 22, 2013 IP
  20. Lee @ Cyber Relief

Lee @ Cyber Relief Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    yeah there are certain aspects you will want to automate but you can get a lot more out of social media if you do most things manually. For example when you create a new post on your blog it's better to go onto your facebook and post to your audience what your new post is about and their opinions on anything portrayed in the post.

The whole idea of social media sites like facebook and twitter is to engage with your audience and I find this impossible to do effectively automatically. I agree that having share buttons on your website is extremely important. At the end of the day the best SEO is natural SEO. You just need to create the enviroment and provide the fuel to get people sharing your stuff/business and this is where high quality content/services comes into play.

Lee @ Cyber Relief, Nov 22, 2013 IP