1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which programming language is better ?? And Why???

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Killer_Teen, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Which programming language is better than the other for server side coding ? and why ?

JAVA ? C# ? C++ ?

Killer_Teen, Oct 29, 2013 IP
  2. Jonchun

Jonchun Greenhorn Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Server side coding as in.. Website development or consumer applications? If you're talking about web dev you kind of forgot PHP. If you're talking about for normal apps, c++ is really popular along with java

Jonchun, Oct 29, 2013 IP
  3. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    After some three and a half decades writing software, the question becomes: "better for WHAT?"

Assembly and/or Machine Language Yes, there's a difference.
    Advantages: Direct hardware access and speed.
    Disadvantages: steep learning curve, must relearn for EVERY processor family, portability is a joke.

C or C++
    Advantages: Low level access with the most robust compilers.
    Disadvantages: Needlessly cryptic (even compared to assembly), convoluted make files and prototyping.

Pascal or Modula and by extension Delphi
    Advantages: Probable the clearest code, and Apple's original method of adding objects to it (the core of modern object pascal) beats the ever-living tar out of most other object models. Compiler won't let you shoot yourself in the foot.
    Disadvantages: Compiler won't let you shoot yourself in the foot, assuming you can find a decent modern compiler... though Both FPC and Delphi are quite excellent. (there's a reason Skype was originally written in Delphi, and moved to Lazarus for cross-platform)

PHP
    Advantages: Available on pretty much any server worth using, possibly the best documented language EVER thanks to everything being up on php.net
    Disadvantages: Interpreted so it's slower than many other languages, insecure by design so you REALLY have to know what you are doing to keep anything you do in it secure.

Basic
    Advantages: So simple any idiot can learn it, the older line-numbered BASIC can fit and editor and runtime in as little as 8k of ROM on a 8-bit platform.
    Disadvantage: Older versions are interpreted, and any idiot can learn it resulting in most of what's written using it being trash.

ASP
    Advantages : can mix and match many languages easily
    Disadvantages: can mix and match languages making it inconsistent - generally thought of as platform specific. (though the .net flavors can kind-of leverage Mono)

So on and so forth. Generally speaking the languages that are acceptable at everything aren't great at anything -- like C or Java... while other languages are extremely good in their niche, but take them out of that niche and they're not Scottish.

Generally speaking it's like asking what's the best tool in your garage... A skillsaw isn't all that useful during auto-repair, and a deuce and a half lump isn't all that helpful doing board-level soldering. Programming languages are that varied.

deathshadow, Oct 29, 2013 IP
  4. ironcladservers

ironcladservers Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    deathshadow is correct here, it really depends what you're trying to accomplish, as well as your previous experience with the different languages. There's no 1 best programming language.

ironcladservers, Oct 29, 2013 IP
  5. Killer_Teen

Killer_Teen Member

Best Answers:
    Well I Was Thinking About Combination Of PHP And C++ :)
    Whats You Guys Say About This???

Killer_Teen, Oct 29, 2013 IP
  6. monkeye

monkeye Active Member

Best Answers:
    I say you didn't read the "better for WHAT?" question.
    How did you manage to get yourself banned with only 19 posts God only knows.

monkeye, Nov 1, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  7. Luca tall

Luca tall Member

Best Answers:
    I prefer php is better than other programming language.It is simple, easy to learn and understand. It is open source. It is easy to clear bugs and provides great security.

Luca tall, Nov 6, 2013 IP
  8. Emberrx

Emberrx Member

Best Answers:
    I am a very big fan of c++ seeing as how it helped me learn other languages much easier(I am aware the logic is what helped me learn others easier but it is easy to say it was c++ since that is what started me) But c# is rather nice as well.

Emberrx, Nov 6, 2013 IP
  9. flowingthought

flowingthought Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A good quote I once read was "Asking a programmer which programming language is the best is like asking a carpenter which tool is the best".

Different languages exist for a reason, and we'll likely see many more in the near future, seeing as how programming is still seeing new developments all the time.

flowingthought, Nov 10, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  10. Web Outsourcing Gateway

Web Outsourcing Gateway Member

Best Answers:
    When it comes to web development there are a lot of useful programming languages. In terms of server
    server-side programming languages for website most developers prefer to use PHP, ASP.NET and JAVA. Here is our article about their advantages and disadvantages, hope this could help you.

http://weboutsourcing-gateway.com/blog/2012/03/web-development-part-4-advantages-and-disadvantages-of-php-asp-net-and-java/

Web Outsourcing Gateway, Nov 11, 2013 IP
  11. eBooster

eBooster Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe that you can do almost everything you need just with PHP. I know both this PHP and C++ but I am not sure the combination of both will be the solution (never tried it).

eBooster, Nov 16, 2013 IP
  12. initzero

initzero Active Member

Best Answers:
    I wonder what you're trying to build with those combination.....

initzero, Nov 21, 2013 IP
  13. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It does what now? PHP is a great language for web development, no doubt about it, but "provides great security"? I'm not sure if ironic or stupid.

PoPSiCLe, Nov 21, 2013 IP
  14. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    It does seem insecure by design, being a scripted language and all with code elevations so easy. It can be made secure, but out of box security is a JOKE.

As made evident by it being SO easy to use insecure practices in the first place -- just look at garbage like turdpress with it's multiple entry points, putting connection info into undeletable global-space with DEFINES, etc, etc...

But I'm a Wirth kind of guy, I like languages where the compiler won't let you shoot yourself in the foot.

deathshadow, Nov 21, 2013 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.