1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Getting People to the Forum

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by ksb2050, Oct 28, 2013.

How do you get people to the forum? I've tried everything. I've posted links on blogs, posted on other forums, asked our existing 6 members to help out, but nothing seems to really work. How do you all do it?

ksb2050, Oct 28, 2013 IP
  2. MyBB Hoster

MyBB Hoster Active Member

Best Answers:
    The things that attract users is content. Without content no one will register. An active community will play a part in this as well. Also find a niche that is not saturated. A custom theme to make your forum stand out from the rest. Good luck with your forums.

MyBB Hoster, Oct 29, 2013 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    What are you offering people that they want and can't get anywhere else?

digitalpoint, Oct 29, 2013 IP
  4. ksb2050

ksb2050 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Shawn, I got things a lot of political forums wont offer.

Free speech for one. I barely let my mods do anything because I want these people to feel safe to spread their ideas. If a little war starts up...then we'll quell it...but just minor vicious debate...no concern at all.

I offer a VIP user group with a TON of cool things attatched...FOR FREE. It's activity based. They can even change their username color, open their threads, close them, move them, whatever. A lot more than you should expect on a forum.

I have a shout box too for live chat.

We run VB 3.8 - which a lot of the older debaters like. They're upset about Xenforo joining the scene ( I had to sell my Xen license) and they don't like all of the new bloatware.

As far as I see...the board should be very attractive.

The only problem is activity. We only have 6 active members. 2 of which are staff (including me).

The politics niche is really small. I just don't know how to get these people here. :-

Check out what I've done ..> patrioticvoices in my sig. I'd be honored to have your review.

((I need a third admin...interested??? Oh come on..I had to try ;) ))

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
    ksb2050, Oct 29, 2013 IP
  5. ksb2050

Best Answers:
    That is my major problem. I have over 550 posts now, my co-admin almost as much, and we only have 4 active members besides us. Politics is not over saturated...these people are just really freakin fickle. They've been burned on a lot of forums so once they find a home...it's hard to move them. Even on another board I wont mention here....it's like the SS controlling the board...and people still stay there. I don't understand it.

We do have a custom theme...so to speak. I did it myself. However I wanted to leave some default because the older debaters are used to VB 3.8 as their favorite system.

Politics has a diverse user group..we have people from 12 years old and in middle school all they way up into their 100's and sitting in a nursing home.

Thank you for the well wishes :)

ksb2050, Oct 29, 2013 IP
  6. monkeye

monkeye Active Member

Best Answers:
    In my opinion unless you discover a completely new content/service to feed people with, you have to work hard your way up the hill.

monkeye, Oct 29, 2013 IP
  7. ksb2050

Best Answers:
    That's pretty much impossible man.

ksb2050, Oct 29, 2013 IP
  8. Devtard

Devtard Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The forum requires registration.
    Ain't nobody got time for that.

Devtard, Oct 29, 2013 IP
  9. ksb2050

Best Answers:
    You don't go on many forums...do you...

:confused:

If you have 810 posts here...something tells me...you have time for it.

So do others.

ksb2050, Oct 29, 2013 IP
  10. kip

kip Notable Member

Best Answers:
    possible to pay others for posting, "forum posters", while many may be against this, they "forum posters" will create the content you need, and others will see topics they will want to comment, and add their 2 cents to. Will also help for search engines with the more topics for others to find you as well.

kip, Oct 29, 2013 IP
  11. ksb2050

Best Answers:
    I have tried this as well. Politics is a hard niche and those who follow politics tend to charge way too much for their services. I'm on a shoe string budget at best. Although perhaps I will start looking for someone like this again.

ksb2050, Oct 30, 2013 IP
  12. Devtard

Devtard Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's because the benefits of posting here are worth the time spent on registering. What do you offer to potential posters? It's just another forum which - surprise, surprise - requires registration. A random visitor that wants to check out just one post/thread (and possibly tell others his opinion) will hardly register if he doesn't intend to participate more.

Would *you* be willing to always register on a random blog before being allowed to comment on one of the articles?

As an owner of a (new) blog you can make readers to register before posting, but guess how many comments you'll get.

(You might want to check out this forum which doesn't force people to register - many of its posts are posted by unregistered users: http://www.godlikeproductions.com/)

Devtard, Oct 30, 2013 IP
  13. ksb2050

Best Answers:
    Thanks, but politics is a fast paced and often troll riddled niche. Allowing guest posts would be opening a can of worms I just do not want to deal with.

ksb2050, Oct 30, 2013 IP
  14. ch8878

ch8878 Active Member

Best Answers:
    There is a plugin that shows your members as active even when they aren't it might help.

ch8878, Nov 3, 2013 IP
  15. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Uh... you realize that even if you show them as active when they aren't, it's not going to bring any actual activity, right? Like it's not going to make those users post or anything. :)

digitalpoint, Nov 3, 2013 IP
  16. ch8878

ch8878 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I do realize that. It worked for another forum he should try a little bit of everything.

Also he should try getting connections in other forums around his niche.

Find users who would like somewhere they can speak freely.

ch8878, Nov 3, 2013 IP
  17. Sinistra

Sinistra Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have used a mod like this on my board. and I got banned from Adsense till I disabled it. Not a great way to go if you use ads.

Sinistra, Nov 3, 2013 IP