1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Buying Solve this Mathematical Problem - $20 + Project

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Jake Howard, Oct 26, 2013.

Hi All,

I am looking for someone to solve a mathematical problem for me ($20) and an additional ($30) if they can convert it into a calculator in Excel.

The first person to PM me the correct answer with workings on how they reached the answer will receive the $20. They will then receive an additional $30 if they can convert it (plus a few more variables) into an Excel File.

Here goes:

Usain Bolt is lining up to run in the 2016 Olympic Mens 100m final. He is the $2.00 favourite (in a 100% Market) to win the event, meaning that the probability of him winning the event is 50%.

There are a total of 8 runners in the race, and Usain's seven opponents are all of lesser but equal ability and each have a 7.14% chance of winning ($14).

Question:

If Usain Bolt is a 50% chance of winning the race, what is the probability of him winning a medal (Gold, Silver or Bronze)?

Jake Howard, Oct 26, 2013 IP
  2. Jake Howard

Jake Howard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Hi All,

I am currently in discussions with a DP Member who has provided me with workings for an answer of 87.5%

Kind regards

Jake

Jake Howard, Oct 27, 2013 IP
  3. sachin410

sachin410 Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 5
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    You can verify the answer.

Add up all probabilities - Bolt at 1st place, Bolt at 2nd place...Bolt at 8th place. The answer should be 100%.

sachin410, Oct 27, 2013 IP
  4. vishals

vishals Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    This seems wrong. This solution sums up the three cases of Bolt winning 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/8 is the odds that he loses all.

But this is wrong cause it assumes that the odds of his winning silver and bronze are the same 1/2. Thats not true, cause his odds of winning silver are higher. His odds of winning bronze are higher still.

Lets say there were only 4 guys running. With bolt's prob. of gold at 1/2, and rest three evenly divided at 1/6 each. What are the odds that Bold will win gold/silver/bronze? The odds that Bolt can win against the third person for bronze are not 1/2, but 1/2 divided by (1/2 + 1/6) = 3/4. His odds of winning silver are 1/2 divided by ( 1/2 + 1/6 + 1/6) = 3/5. The total odds of losing all of three medals are 1/2 * ( 1- 3/5 ) * ( 1 - 3/4) = 1/20.

thats for 4 players. you calculate for 7 players.

A good way to think about it is this: If there are just 3 players running, Bolt will definitely win all three medals.

If there are infinite players running ( and bolts probability of winning gold is 1/2), then in case he loses the gold, then his odds of winning silver are also 1/2, because that are his odds of winning against infinite players. Same for bronze. In THAT case are Bolt's odds of winning either of the medal equal to ( 1 - 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2) = 87.5 %.

All the cases of players numbering 4, 7 or any other number, come in between these two cases.

Hope I get some dollars, but if not thats cool!

vishals, Oct 30, 2013 IP