1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

More GOP opposition to the tea party

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by earlpearl, Oct 23, 2013.

Utah, one of the most consistently Republican and conservative states in the nation is seeing a lot of opposition to its tea party Senator, Mike Lee. State Republicans are already planning to run candidates against him:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...54e782-3b25-11e3-a94f-b58017bfee6c_story.html

From the article:

and this quote that articulates the difference in the GOP:

earlpearl, Oct 23, 2013 IP
  2. r3dt@rget

r3dt@rget Notable Member

Best Answers:
    At this point I'm just waiting for Democrats to take the House. Let em do whatever they please. If it goes anything like the Healthcare.gov rollout, it will cost 3 times more than budgeted, be full of glitches, and create more problems than it was intended to fix.

r3dt@rget, Oct 23, 2013 IP
  3. Obamanation

Obamanation Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Who cares what institutional Republicans want? Wasn't it the institutional Republicans that the Democrats spent so much time demonizing, what with their unlimited funds spent on campaigns, and deep pockets business funded (read elite 1%) elitists being completely out of touch with middle class Americans?

How sad, (read pathetic) is it that the Democrats only hope of winning back their liberal agenda in the house or Senate revolves around championing primary efforts sponsored by the 1% they claim to despise, against the interests of the grass roots. Its a topsy turvy world and the Democrats now find themselves the party of the 1%, the party of the fortune 500, the party of unbridled and unauthorized foreign wars, the party of extraordinary rendition, the party of domestic spying programs, and the party of Gitmo, while Tea Party Republicans find themselves the populists.

Hey Dave, I got a 25 year old bottle of Oban sitting on my shelf that I will send your way if someone/anyone manages to successfully primary Mike Lee in 2016. What are you going to send me if this talk never passes the fantasy and premature ejaculation stage? I've been trying to track down some Loch Dhu black scotch, a favorite of mine before they folded up shop. Be a pal and commit to finding, purchasing, and sending me one when you lose this bet. Put your money where your mouth is.

Perhaps I should just send you a cheaper bottle now so you have something to drown your sorrows in when we take back the Senate next year, and at the same time throw morons like Mitch McConnell out of office. I saw Rachel Madcow raving about how this recent shutdown has endangered his chances when the reality is, he was a dead man walking long before this shutdown, as Matt Bevin will soon be the junior (Tea party) Senator from Kentucky.

Obamanation, Oct 23, 2013 IP
    Corwin likes this.
  4. earlpearl

earlpearl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LOL. When you live in the tea party cave with the other 20% and there is this significant rising disgust with your tea party actions, so much of it coming from those that were your allies just a short while ago, you better be full of bluster and (false) confidence. Keep it up O-nation. As the vast majority of the nation is disgusted with the tea party...and actual members of the GOP are now massing to oppose tea partiers....you'll have to hang on by a thin thread to just to keep alive in your own party let alone the nation at large.

As to the liquor side of a bet I scarcely drink any more. But for something of great quality I recently had some Old Pappy reserve bourbon. Wow. That is unbelievable. Absolutely great. Its quite expensive and purposefully rare, pushing retail prices to above $100/bottle though its for sale on other markets, since retail is so rare, at huge increases. Also, per the news someone(s) supposedly stole a lot of the bourbon from the producers. http://www.bourbonblog.com/blog/2013/10/23/person-of-interest-in-stolen-pappy-van-winkle-case/

If I was looking to stockpile liquor for myself my family friends and those I was trying to impress with my "stash" that is what I'd want.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
    earlpearl, Oct 24, 2013 IP
  5. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    I don't need confidence of any variety, false or otherwise. I just need the ability to read a poll and see trends. For instance, the Tea Party support level was at 20% last year when we added three tea party seats to the Senate. While the mood of the nation as a whole, or a particular subset such as the business community may fluctuate on a daily basis, the principles for which the Tea Party stands remain wildly popular. All those people that came out in 2010 to flush the Democratic majority out of the house in the largest electoral upset in nearly a century didn't just die or change their values. In fact, the evidence shows that cynicism is building among them middle class against the Democrats and specifically this president, which is why Democrats running for office next year are now embracing the very same delay of the individual mandate the Tea Party shut down the government in their efforts to obtain.

Election 2014 is several political geological ages from now, but one doesn't have to look at the numbers too hard to realize Democrats and institutional Republicans are swimming against the tide, ObamaCare is becoming more unpopular, and confidence in the president is fading fast. Considering where we are at, my projections are comfort, not confidence.

So we have a bet! If Mike Lee loses his primary, I buy, otherwise, you buy. I don't keep a whisky cabinet to impress my friends, I keep one to drink with them. I just added yet another member to my clan(someone has to keep up with the Mexicans) so there has been plenty an occasion to celebrate. You can find my whisky here:

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-3020.aspx

Obamanation, Oct 24, 2013 IP
  6. earlpearl

Best Answers:
    No we don't have a bet. You have a tea partier putting words into somebody else's mouth, which is something you seem to do a lot. I like to bet with people I know, not a web presence.

But I do suggest the Old Pappy. Its an amazing bourbon. It's evidently very rare. I don't even follow this stuff anymore. I was out to eat with some foodies and the restaurateur knew them. While around us, he mentioned he had some Old Pappy and these two knowledgeable folks were psyched, while I, who doesn't pay attention to this stuff anymore was completely in the dark. Though I don't follow this stuff I have had my fill of all liquor and high quality scotch's. The Old Pappy is truly unique, tasty, has a nice bite, and is an extraordinary bourbon. If I were drinking enough to warrant getting a bottle I'd get that. Its extraordinarily special.

7. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    Bah, chicken. Not feeling confident in the demise of the tea party? Normally, the more people squawk about you, the larger of a threat you actually are,so keep it up.

I'm not just a web presence. I like to think of myself as a web omnipresence.

I'll check it out. I've got a few friends from the deep south that bring me moonshine. If you've never had it, I highly recommend it. High octane, and surprisingly smooth. Usually comes packaged in a fruit jar, with a completely saturated piece of fruit in the middle. A few shots of that stuff and you find yourself speaking in tongues and handling snakes. Better than an ether binge.

8. earlpearl

Best Answers:
    Old Pappy is not moonshine or anything like it. Its comparable to the best scotch or whiskey you have ever had or far better. Look it up. If you can find a place near you carrying it give it a try. Its an extraordinary sipping whiskey.

9. earlpearl

Best Answers:
    I got the name wrong. Its Pappy Van Winkle. Its a wondrous whiskey. Drink it neat. Don't mess with it in any fashion. Possibly add lemon which is a nice touch and doesn't dilute the alcohol

A small blurb about it:
    Consider a 1 oz shot which would be the rough equivalent of a glass of wine would probably sell at the above referenced saloon for $35, 40, 45, $50. Think of ordering expensive wine at a dinner and paying that much per glass. Sort of nutty in my book.

I was so unaware I don't know if we had the 20 or 23 year old version and haven't bothered to ask. It came to us from a private stock the restaurateur kept and was not on the menu. And that in a restaurant known for quality scotch and whiskey and expensive crafted cocktails with expensive add ons to quality base liquors. Clearly the distiller keeps the demand low which means its rare and not available in most places, on the menu or not. As to that article above, in general I drink so little now a two ounce shot would have me feeling a little too stupid to entirely savor it. I'd want it as a one ounce shot.

If you consider yourself a connoisseur of fine scotch or whiskey this is something to experience.

Now a second reason why your wager is of such complete waste to me...as referenced above I drink so little now I have no desire to win even the finest scotch, whiskey or even the exalted Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon

10. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    If you've never had finished southern moonshine, I'm not sure you can say that with authority. In the deep south, making moonshine is an art, refined over the centuries. It is not the jet fuel everclear people make it out to be, but rather a flavored alcohol that is very refined (high octane as well).

I find it hard to compare liquors by the price of the drink. Loch Dhu runs $450 a bottle and is generally considered crap by the whisky snobs, but I happen to like it. At $700 a bottle, is Old Pappy really going to taste that much better? I'm not so sure. A buddy of mine brought a couple of bottles of 76 Krug champagne to a friends bachelor party ($1200/bottle) and to be honest, I couldn't taste the extra money. Then again, I probably shouldn't have huffed it warm from the bottle. Some people you can't take anywhere.

11. earlpearl

Best Answers:
    I've had moonshine. This is entirely different. I like or liked fine scotches. I just don't drink much now. This was terrific. If I was drinking more I'd get it. I basically don't drink anymore so I have no interest in it.

For whatever reasons they so limit production that availability is limited everywhere. Its worth a try if you can find it in your area. If its not on menus I'd dig through local foodie types. They know who has this stuff even if not on the menu. It appears its very hard to access it when its sold on the retail market. demand is heavy and it gets swept up whenever its released.

I did savor fine scotches. I just recently ran into this, and frankly I've lost touch with the topic but the taste and bite were extraordinary.

12. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It is nice to see that while the Titanic is sinking, you are arguing about the arrangements of the chairs on the deck. ;):)

gworld, Oct 26, 2013 IP
  13. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I was reading all about this fascination on StuffRichPeopleLove.com :)

Rebecca, Oct 28, 2013 IP
    Obamanation likes this.
  14. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    From your site....
    ROFLMAO

Obamanation, Oct 29, 2013 IP
  15. earlpearl

Best Answers:
    earlpearl, Dec 2, 2013 IP
  16. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Earl, as someone who suffered intense discrimination in my youth, I'd like to ask you a sincere question:

Do you believe that once YOU assign a label to someone - Republican, Democrat, Tea Partier, Progressive - do you believe that once you assign someone a label, that you then know all of their beliefs and all of their values because every single one of them with that label - or at least the majority - are all the same?

And a follow-up - do you believe that if someone is wrong on one issue, then they are wrong on all issues?

Corwin, Dec 3, 2013 IP