1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why do people ask about SKYPE when buying service

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Mr Goldwing, Oct 5, 2013.

Hi

I have not been on this forum in a while but I see that a lot of buyers ask about Skype Id. What is the point of that? Do they chat, talk or Visually connect with a camera to see a human being behind the desk? What if a buyer or seller doesnt have a camera? When should I think that this is suspecious? When a buyer has no cam feed or seller has no cam feed? or what. Can someone explain. It has been 2 years for me and a lot has changed here. Thanks.

Mr Goldwing, Oct 5, 2013 IP
    claudiussatham likes this.
  2. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Easier to talk to clients on my end. That is all.. Never used the camera or the microphone for that matter. Out of about 3000 jobs I have done around here I have had 2 people in 7 years request my phone #.

Nigel

Nigel Lew, Oct 5, 2013 IP
  3. Mr Goldwing

Mr Goldwing Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So you only chat? message?

Mr Goldwing, Oct 5, 2013 IP
  4. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As a general rule yes, Its much faster than the PM system here or email. The downside of that is my clients can bug me in real time. 24-7 since I never shut it off lol..

Nigel

Nigel Lew, Oct 5, 2013 IP
  5. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    OP, I am with you, I have skype account, but I hate it when I am forced to use it. something that can be resolved with 1 pm, becomes, add me... wait, hes offline, then a week later you get to chat but a week later its redundant as you have already hired someone else that already fixed it with that 1 pm.
    I dont mind if someone I hire suggests it as a possibility, but if they demand it, then I dont hire them. I check emails via phone regularly, its probly a max of 2hours between email checks (like If I am at the cinemas with the kids or something), whereas if they were waiting for me to be on skype, it would be perhaps once a week only.

matt_62, Oct 5, 2013 IP
  6. Arick unirow

Arick unirow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I got lots of request asking for SkypeID but I always say "I have no SkypeID".
    I like the idea to communicate through Skype but I am an old fashioned person so Skype is not an important tools for me.

Some of them even make a Skype account just for me.
    The only communication which I really like is through chat.
    The funny thing is: Sometimes I think using chat to communicate with others seem more efficient than using audio visual.
    Well, it clearly explain I am not that good in speaking. :oops:

In my opinion, people didn't turn into 'suspicious' if they choose not to communicate with audio visual. I have done small research in this forum and it seems many scammers were using Skype to communicate with the others. So, using Audio Visual or not, there is no direct relation with 'being suspicious'. However, Audio Visual (Skype) surely will make clients feel comfort and this is why I recommend anyone to use it (but I prefer not to use it. Maybe later). What really important in business are:
    1. Skills
    2. Dedication
    3. Trust, and
    4. Communication
    By the way, it is common to ask for SkypeID when someone would like to interact with us. Especially when they would like to buy the services. If we choose not to communicate through Audio Visual, just explain it nicely. Once again, having SkypeID or not, it has nothing to do with being 'suspicious'.

For camera, WebCam is quite cheap($3 - $25). My Digital Camera is always attached to the computer but I only (rarely) use it to communicate with Professor (using Facebook Audio Video Interaction). If I have to interact using Audio-Video, I prefer using my new Notebook (internal camera).

I think everyone has their own favorite choice in doing communication. ;)

Arick unirow, Oct 5, 2013 IP
    FreeFun4Every1 likes this.
  7. Mr Goldwing

Mr Goldwing Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the feedback.

Mr Goldwing, Oct 6, 2013 IP
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I don't do much trading here but I use skype as my primary instant messaging tool - you can get a better sense of mood and humour when the messages are sent more quickly.
    I don't have a camera (do you really need to see me?) and don't accept voice requests. It can be hard enough understanding people's written English without adding in my Kiwi accent which many can't understand. If I was American it might be different because most people are exposed to the accents via tv & movies.

sarahk, Oct 6, 2013 IP
    Arick unirow likes this.
  9. VideoWhisper.com

VideoWhisper.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Due to the technical nature of our products and services we prefer written communication messages to live chats or calls.
    We have a special tickets system that we used to organise inquiries.

VideoWhisper.com, Oct 20, 2013 IP
  10. Emberrx

Emberrx Member

Best Answers:
    I think it could be because when you chat with someone and they answer right away you can get an okay sense of that persons character. Everyone wants to do business with someone trustworthy and etc and it also makes communication alot faster so if you need an answer you do not have to wait hours for it. I do not really use skype but that would be my take on it all

Emberrx, Oct 20, 2013 IP
  11. heredia21

heredia21 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    To discuss in real time rather than wait for a PM or an e-mail to arrive.

heredia21, Oct 20, 2013 IP
  12. SEO.Maven

SEO.Maven Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    As a Virtual Employee, my main tools of immediate communication would be either Skype or Google Talk. Almost all my employers require this. Some ask me to use a webcam if they need me to look professional in during client meetings. It sets the mood if clients can see that you represent your business properly.

Some of them want the idea of immediate contact through chat, others through voice, the latter usually for those who find it tedious to type when they can just say what they want in a few seconds. I think the most common reason they ask my for Skype is to know when I'm online and ready to work.

I use email as backup if I am unable to immediately respond to Skype messages. You see, unless you are both online at the same time on Skype, your messages won't reach one another. So if my boss sends me a message, let's say today and I'm offline, then I get back online tomorrow morning, but he's not there, I won't read his message unless he gets back online again, which defeats the purpose of immediate response.

Hope this gives you a better insight on why people ask for Skype most of the time. :)

SEO.Maven, Oct 21, 2013 IP
  13. claudiussatham

claudiussatham Active Member

Best Answers:
    As we know, the chat program is very kind. And it must urgent for all transaction on business online. And I think Skype is now number one for this matter, because it is so simple and friendly.

claudiussatham, Oct 21, 2013 IP
  14. FTS!

FTS! Member

Best Answers:
    Many people using Skype as Instant Messenger for business, that's why thy probably asking your Skype ID.
    I personally think Skype has lack of features as IM, so I prefer ICQ or Jabber.

FTS!, Oct 21, 2013 IP
  15. Kiros

Kiros Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've stopped using skype ... cause it makes my internet speed goes down.
    I noticed my internet become slow each time i open skype then it confirmed to me through ESET Network monitoring that skype takes a lot of my speed with no reason why in compare to yahoo,gtalk and others.

Later i read some articles about skype is using as super-node technology and that sound very stupid to me then i decided to never use it.

But a lot of my clients keep asking if i've skype account or not !

Kiros, Oct 22, 2013 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  16. Linorth

Linorth Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    just another way of communication I guess..

Linorth, Oct 23, 2013 IP
  17. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I experienced the same issue which is why I stopped using Skype. Also as has been mentioned, Skype is a pain in the backside as my accent (French) apparently, is hard to understand.

Spoiltdiva, Oct 23, 2013 IP
  18. Linorth

Linorth Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    your post reminded me of that episode of IT crowd when that girl called the customer service and got a french operator :p lol

Linorth, Oct 23, 2013 IP
  19. jmintuck

jmintuck Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would just as soon they ask for SKYPE. Actually, I may ADD skype contact to my sales pages. Why not? I can get contacts from potential clients easier. So I ought to begin to do it!

jmintuck, Oct 24, 2013 IP
  20. Hollow

Hollow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    from what i've noticed on DP... skype is the new msn messenger.

Hollow, Oct 24, 2013 IP