1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Bug Goofy 'user' links tripping on non-user references

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by deathshadow, Oct 21, 2013.

deathshadow, Oct 21, 2013 IP
    digitalpoint likes this.
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    digitalpoint, Oct 21, 2013 IP
  3. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Ok, good to know it's at least reported to the core software and it's not something local. Also why I hate things like 'parsing usernames' since that idiocy can result in false positives WAY too easily. It's like whatever stupid malfing check about "redirect" idiocy on URI's -- which is likely code running server-side that has no business even being done in the first place.

Seems like Xenforo suffers from a lot of the "gee ain't it neat" nonsense that leaves me asking "Yeah, but what good is it" -- though that is basically my mantra with the current direction of the web at this point.

deathshadow, Oct 21, 2013 IP
  4. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    There's a good reason for everything. :) The forum was being filled with things like affiliate links (not allowed) and zillions of people posting "images" that are really affiliate links to places like web hosting companies in threads talking about web hosting (cookie stuffing).

While it can be slightly annoying at times, the overall benefit *far* outweighs not doing it (WAYYY less spam when user's actually CAN'T spam because the URL they need to spam is a redirect).

I'm with you... I never add something to the site for sake of adding it (same reason it's a relative stockish style, with a few tweaks here and there that actually improve it).

In the case of the username tagging, it's actually quite useful when you want to get someone involved in a thread without doing something like sending them a conversation message to go look.

For example it worked exactly as designed and brought you to this thread (you not only came, you reply was posted 9 minutes after being tagged).

digitalpoint, Oct 21, 2013 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You have no idea how much moderator time is saved by that! We used to get posts with smiley faces at the end that were really cookies being stuffed and they were really hard to sort out. The only thing that made it easier was that the guys who dropped them had a "modus operandi" and didn't really get too creative about it. I had tampermonkey scripts running down every page I opened to find the main offenders but that's not a practical, long term solution, this seems better.

sarahk, Oct 22, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  6. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I used to report tons of those posts, and the ones that used to show up as a "broken image", It's good that they don't seem to happen anymore.

malky66, Oct 22, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk and sarahk like this.
  7. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure what check that is that's being run -- but that from user side the only difference is you have to end a directory link with a slash seems rather screwy... since ALL directory links without slashes are basically redirects in Apache... Might work for you, and it's not THAT big a deal -- just add the slash, but it still seems rather silly that, for example, I can't even paste this link into the forums:

http://www.cutcodedown.com/for_others/

Without the trailing slash...

It's not a big deal to remember "I need a slash at the end" -- but when the difference is slash or no-slash user-side, a request that should have ZERO difference in send or response headers (and appears not to from here) -- it makes me think something is really screwed up with whatever the devil check is being run and/or being tripped by that.

deathshadow, Oct 22, 2013 IP
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Yep, that seems off, and I'm sure now you've raised it @digitalpoint will review that particular rule, but the process does a lot more than just check for a trailing slash.

sarahk, Oct 22, 2013 IP
  9. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Looks like they already have it fixed for the next release version.

digitalpoint, Oct 24, 2013 IP
  10. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    This site has been upgraded to XenForo 1.2.3, so just testing if it's fixed now.

@media (max-width:480px) {
        * {
            -webkit-text-size-adjust:none;
            -ms-text-size-adjust:none;
        }
    }
    Code (markup):
    ...looks good to me.

digitalpoint, Nov 6, 2013 IP