1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

If you use dot.tk read this!

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by anonymous01, Sep 26, 2013.

I recently found a free domain company called dot.tk. They gave away free .tk domains. I signed up and later realized they were sending traffic to virus and ad infected sites (visitor would never see my site). If you use them I advise deleting them, if you come across them ignore them.
    It is true that there is a high price of "FREE" :(
    You have been warned.

anonymous01, Sep 26, 2013 IP
  2. monkeye

monkeye Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think you are mistaken.

I have used them many times, never seen an ad or a virus.

It is true though that if your traffic gets really high they might ask you to pay it.

monkeye, Sep 29, 2013 IP
  3. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    is it possible that your site / server was hacked? did you use online tools to check that it was pointing to your server properly?

matt_62, Oct 13, 2013 IP
  4. anonymous01

anonymous01 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I am 100% sure that my site is not hacked, not only that but the minute I stopped using them the problem left.

anonymous01, Oct 14, 2013 IP
  5. Nanko

Nanko Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Are you sure that your computer is not infected? I also did use .tk domain with no problem at all.

Nanko, Oct 14, 2013 IP
  6. tobalsan

tobalsan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know about the virus thing, and actually never heard of it since now, so I rather think your computer or your website has been hacked.

BUT, and this is a big but (no lousy pun intended), still, don't go with TK domains except for personal stuff or tests.
    Why is that ? Because in reality you never are the owner of the domain. Their CGU clearly state that they can do whatever they want with your domain name, and they WILL.

I experienced it myself and heard stories of other people. As soon as your website reach a certain level of traffic, they take over your domain to display ads or redirect visitors toward affiliates.

tobalsan, Oct 20, 2013 IP
  7. Alin Alex

Alin Alex Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you don't have $1-$2.99 to pay for a domain name, i don't know what you're doing on the internet in the first place!
    Better use Blogger or Wordpress. I never seen a .tk on 1st page of google so i don't see any reason someone should use them.You get what you pay for.

Alin Alex, Oct 20, 2013 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  8. tobalsan

tobalsan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For the sake of SEO , i definitely agree, but for tests or simple personal stuff i think it's nice. Just don't ever stick with it in case you plan to grow.

tobalsan, Oct 20, 2013 IP
  9. glass6

glass6 Peon

Best Answers:
    diymotorizedbike.tk YEs i have been using dot.tk site for a month and it says i can pay for it and own in if i wish.At least in the simple explanation that comes up it the pay box. I have seen no redirects as of yet and have had and average of 20 to30 people a day visit. funny i put it up and people had like instantly started coming to it i wounder where from. any who have a look if you want.

glass6, Dec 10, 2013 IP
  10. shamzblueworld

shamzblueworld Member

Best Answers:
    I've used .tk and never had any problem with it, especially after they have started giving out the option of DNS with free domains, they've grown.
    What problem you stated could have been due to the reason that you might have signed up for their ad program, I dont know what its called now but they had an ad program which shows ad on your page as well as promised to get traffic on your site because then it shows your website also on ads, sort of like affiliation or ad exchange program.

shamzblueworld, Dec 17, 2013 IP