1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is web directory submission really dead for back links?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by jennypretty, Oct 13, 2013.

Hello,
    I know this is an old question but I like to ask to make sure that I won't try it anymore.
    Is web directory submission really dead for getting back links?
    How about good PR web directories?
    How about new directories?
    Should we continue using this method to gain back links?
    Thanks very much!

jennypretty, Oct 13, 2013 IP
  2. Rozeweb

Rozeweb Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    No, Backlinks from High PR web directoris have much worth. If you do submission in natural way , I mean manually submission with unique description :)

Rozeweb, Oct 13, 2013 IP
  3. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Backlinks from trustworthy directories are still very good. You just need to better diversify your site's backlink profile

Nima, Oct 14, 2013 IP
  4. khemraj

khemraj Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, it is not dead at long as you're doing it to just list your business in popular directories so that people can find your business.

Submitting your website in each and every directories, even if it is not related to your business and not even popular in your area, then it's spam. And you're just linking your website with a specific anchor text, so obviously you're are spamming and building unnatural links, so don't do it.

Sensibly prepare a list of some good directories (relevant to your business, popular in your area (city, state for local business, country for national business), all the directories must be human edited (doesn't matter if they charge some fee to review your website, but must be human edited), should not list your website if directories are charging fee for link (review fee is okay, but paying for link is spamming).

Hope this clarify your doubts.

khemraj, Oct 14, 2013 IP
  5. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Directories are a waste of time, unless you want to make lots of worthless links to cover your good ones.

averyz, Oct 15, 2013 IP
  6. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Then why waste your time in this section of the forum? :)

Nima, Oct 15, 2013 IP
    YMC likes this.
  7. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Slow news day, so I though I would see if it was still alive and people were stll trying to peddle dir scripts.

but not quite slow enough for me to make it to the domz section to see if people are still beating that dead horse.

averyz, Oct 15, 2013 IP
  8. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I've been on DP since 1998 and I can tell you that this is actually one of the more active parts of this forum, believe it or not.

Directories and the discussion here is not only very much alive, both are still very effective.

Mia, Oct 15, 2013 IP
  9. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    effective at what ? are you trying to say directory links have seo juice ? or that webmasters are still buying them ?

Because I think both have dwindled to almost nothing.

averyz, Oct 15, 2013 IP
  10. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Its probably a little bit of both. I know they are still buying them. That much has not changed. If anything, some months its a little better than in past years.

Mia, Oct 15, 2013 IP
  11. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You assume directory's only use is SEO juice. Not only (good) directories offer services that are mostly non-seo related but the SEO factor is still alive (just not with useless spammy directories). Angies List, BOTW, Lawyers.com, and others come to mind.

Directory business is no longer a newbie webmaster business. It's more serious and requires more work as a result

Nima, Oct 15, 2013 IP
  12. Manish_Pandey

Manish_Pandey Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Directories have been an major source of backlinks and will be condition applied that with changing google policies you might get banned for spamming... recently a lot of Google accounts have been blocked... So its time to submit directories carefully...But it is worthy...

Manish_Pandey, Oct 15, 2013 IP
  13. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    What good is the juice if you get no traffic from it? I'd rather see my customers get people to their website than win a link popularity contest.

Mia, Oct 15, 2013 IP
    Nima likes this.
  14. Mr victor

Mr victor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When your main objective is to get targeted visitors to your website then it is still effective but when your objective is to mass spam the directories then it is not effective

Mr victor, Oct 16, 2013 IP