1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Would You Pay a Monthly Subscription for an Ad Free Social Networking Site?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by Waffle Dragon, Oct 11, 2013.

I'm thinking about creating a social networking membership site. It will focus on a niche so will not have to compete with big names like Facebook. But social networking sites usually make their profit from those annoying ads and pop-ups all over the site.

So my question is will people be willing to pay monthly/yearly for a unique social networking site free from ads. Being a membership site it will have free membership plans as well as paid ones, and of course will have benefits with paid plans. So If you would pay for a unique networking site like this, how much would you pay and what benefits would you like to see?

Waffle Dragon, Oct 11, 2013 IP
  2. ivoy

ivoy Member

Best Answers:
    It solely depends on the content of the site. I have both paid and free memberships with many networks and the presence of ads is the last thing that I pay attention to. It's the content, traffic and who I get a chance to network with that matter to me. Digital Point has ads and I don't think they bother anyone because of the information you are able to collect and share here.

ivoy, Oct 13, 2013 IP
  3. makeit easy

makeit easy Active Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on what benefits are given with paid membership option.

But you should keep in mind there are still too many people around who don't buy anything online. Also most of the online shoppers buy only from well known, old, trustworthy sites not from all the sites. It's almost impossible convert a typical internet user into a direct buyer unless owning a well known, old and big business. This is where ad networks make money. Ad networks are the bridges between you and big businesses. Your visitor becomes a buyer only with ads of big businesses. Thus everyone makes money.

makeit easy, Oct 13, 2013 IP
  4. FTS!

FTS! Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't pay for ad-free social networking site, however I know people who probably would, but it would depend on many factors.

FTS!, Oct 13, 2013 IP
  5. tom11011

tom11011 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If they "just have to have it" then they will pay.

tom11011, Oct 13, 2013 IP
  6. WebDev Solutions

WebDev Solutions Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you can tap into a sub-niche like you've suggested, and drive enough traffic and free registrations to the site, it's reasonable to assume you can begin to convert a percentage of these members into paid subscribers, dependent upon the bonus features you're planning to offer them, of course.

WebDev

WebDev Solutions, Oct 13, 2013 IP
  7. uttoransen

uttoransen Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You will have to think for a different way to make the site more attractive to the users. Ad-free is not enough to get paid membership model. Very few people will pay for a social site just to keep away from ads.

Also, when you say niche - what exactly are you planning? This step is crucial, niche sites can have features for which people can pay monthly fees - sort of like membership sites. The important question here is the benefits and the features for the members.

let us know what you are planning and we can give you a more specific advice,
    cheers,
    Uttoran Sen,

uttoransen, Oct 18, 2013 IP
  8. tom11011

Best Answers:
    Here is a hypothetical question that I think will sum it up. I would be interested to hear the OP's as well the rest of your responses.

Would you pay Facebook $5/month for an ad free site?

tom11011, Oct 18, 2013 IP
  9. johndavis74

johndavis74 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When you think about it from the standpoint that Tom11011 ask the answer would be no. The ads are not that intrusive and I think most people have gotten used to seeing ads. I dont mind seeing them because from time to time I do see things that interest me so unless your content is so good that it captures my attention then I would not pay.

johndavis74, Oct 18, 2013 IP
  10. Emberrx

Emberrx Member

Best Answers:
    Wouldn't a paid social site be the same as a dating site pretty much/ Just asking.

Emberrx, Oct 20, 2013 IP
  11. yoAdrien

yoAdrien Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I'm thinking along the lines of Emberrx. A paid social networking site would rely on the user knowing other members whereas a dating site would be reliant on how many members are already subscribed. Personally speaking however, I would not pay for either.

yoAdrien, Oct 23, 2013 IP
  12. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    As my wife says sometimes: "A website without ads looks suspicious!"

LOL. But I think she's got a point. We're all so used to ads that nobody cares about them anymore. It's the content that matters.

I'd suggest you start your service free, initially, and if it grows you can later try a paid membership / subscription.

qwikad.com, Oct 25, 2013 IP
  13. johnnywebb

johnnywebb Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    No, not for an ad-free experience. Personally I don't find banner ads annoying. Ads on videos , on the hand, are extremely annoying to me. Take HuluPlus. They show several ads on many shows EVEN THOUGH you pay them a monthly fee. But even then, it's the content or service that matters and the reason someone will pay you a monthly fee. So the fact that I continue to pay HuluPlus a monthly fee despite their annoying ads should tell you something.

johnnywebb, Oct 30, 2013 IP
  14. tom11011

Best Answers:
    On the flip side of that, I find netflix to be a pretty good bargain at $8 per month. And of course there is no advertising.

tom11011, Oct 31, 2013 IP
  15. Alan E

Alan E Member

Best Answers:
    I wish I can "Like" this comment...I agree with starting free and then offer an upgrade option.

Alan E, Oct 31, 2013 IP
  16. zebno

zebno Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    NO!!

zebno, Oct 31, 2013 IP
  17. hav0c

hav0c Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If the network itself was beneficial for my interests then it could be worth it. A monthly charge would help to weed out non-serious members and spam so it could be a better experience. The cost itself would be the next determining factor.

hav0c, Oct 31, 2013 IP
  18. qlbbroker

qlbbroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    I actually like the idea of a specialized paid social networking site, but not just to get rid of ads. That certainly wouldn't be motivation for me to join. However, if I knew that the content or the members of that social networking site were highly motivated and skilled, then it becomes worth it.

One of the problems with free sites is that they allow anybody and everybody with an opinion to chime in. A membership fee can act as a gatekeeper to allow only those who are really passionate about what you are focused on to participate. If someone is paying a monthly membership, you can bet that they are very interested in that topic.

This model requires that you get the right people involved to make it a unique and exclusive community. Without that, users will have little incentive to join. The models I have seen that have done this effectively often started out free, then converted to paid after there was a general consensus to do this.

qlbbroker, Oct 31, 2013 IP
  19. Webcenter

Webcenter Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Most people don't know you make money from ads, they don't find ads disturbing, the question is what this social network can offer and others like Facebook don't in my opinion.

Webcenter, Oct 31, 2013 IP
  20. Umer Hafeez

Umer Hafeez Active Member

Best Answers:
    never!

Umer Hafeez, Nov 16, 2013 IP