1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My Google-indexed pages dropped in WT

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Mr.Dog, Oct 4, 2013.

Hi,

This is the first time I notice with my new site: the number of indexed pages has actually dropped from 201 to 194 (in Webmaster Tools). But: in fact, I've been constantly adding new pages.

What has happened? This has stayed the same for more than a week.
    There are no broken links, I don't think there would be any reasons for any penalty (not the case, really).

I'm a bit worried why this is happening. Google has left some of my pages out. So far, this is the first time when the total number of Google-indexed pages shrinks.

Site has been going quite well, despite being a new one.

Mr.Dog, Oct 4, 2013 IP
  2. Vijay Devkar - SEO Genius

Vijay Devkar - SEO Genius Member

Best Answers:
    check if your internal linking structure is correct, have you updated Sitemap? or Is Robots.txt is not allowing some pages to be indexed. Also check if you have any 301 redirections are they executing properly. Make sur your URLs are search engine friendly.
    hope this helps

3. Ashton

Ashton Member

Best Answers:
    check if your page links have errors pluse check out the competition if there are other website which rank better than you , anlyze yur urls carefully.

Ashton, Oct 4, 2013 IP
  4. naveenjosh

naveenjosh Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think its very rare case when Google has dropped your indexed pages even when you are adding new pages on regular basis. Have you checked with "site:URL" command in google? Is it showing the same?? because some time Google take time to refresh data. Or it may be possibility that your other pages were blocked with "nofollow" or "noindex" (it may happen unwanted). Please go through each and every page and i am sure that you will resolve it.

Hope it helps..

naveenjosh, Oct 4, 2013 IP
  5. Mr.Dog

Mr.Dog Active Member

Best Answers:
    I update my sitemap 7-8 times every month.
    No redirections, no broken links, I don't even have a robots.txt file!

Mr.Dog, Oct 5, 2013 IP
  6. Mr.Dog

Mr.Dog Active Member

Best Answers:
    Some links to some pages are "nofollow", but that shouldn't block Google from indexing it. "Nofollow" is not the same as "noindex".

I also don't know which are those several pages that Google didn't index.

Mr.Dog, Oct 5, 2013 IP
  7. Vijay Devkar - SEO Genius

Vijay Devkar - SEO Genius Member

Best Answers:
    well everything seems to be fine. I would suggest you to upload an empty Robots.txt file after you have removed all 404 errors(if you have any), even if the file is empty it avoids all the log errors. It doesn't harm to keep an empty Robots.txt file and even if you need it anytime in future, its already there.
    I will still try to find solution for your problems though.

8. Mr.Dog

Mr.Dog Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the tips... the way I see it: Google simply skipped some pages (would like to know why), but from time to time, it seems to have recovered to see all my pages.
    There are fluctuations during the past 2-3 weeks. Right now again there are 202 indexed from 207 submitted. Despite having updated my sitemap...

I will check again for 404 errors, but I'm not sure an empty robots.txt would help...

Mr.Dog, Oct 7, 2013 IP