1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Looking for advice on how to get into freelance marketing.

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by wheelstb, Sep 28, 2013.

I'm looking for a way to get into freelance marketing. I don't want to start anything major nor, do I want to step on the toes of anyone here.
    Basically I'm a recent graduate looking to earn some extra money and more importantly gain some experience.

wheelstb, Sep 28, 2013 IP
  2. George T.

George T. Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    What are your skills? You can start promoting your skills and offering services on forums-gig sites and freelancer sites :)

George T., Sep 28, 2013 IP
  3. wheelstb

wheelstb Active Member

Best Answers:
    I suppose I'll have to take a second to think about what my skills truly are. Someone told me once that you could make a post for yourself on this forum to find gigs. Unfortunately, I can no longer find that private message.
    I even be willing to do a lot of things for free. So long as they weren't gargantuan projects. At this point sharpening my skill set is just as important to me as the money.
    What sites do you recommend?

wheelstb, Sep 28, 2013 IP
  4. George T.

George T. Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Freelancer.com
    fiverr.com

etc.etc. if you do your research you will find a lot :)

George T., Sep 29, 2013 IP
  5. DEBooks

DEBooks Guest

Best Answers:
    An easy way to establish your skills List your hobbies , list your achievementments , and list the Courses you excelleed in at College or university. Then go from there with a common thread For freelancing it is a job and you must like what you are doing

DEBooks, Sep 29, 2013 IP
  6. wheelstb

wheelstb Active Member

Best Answers:
    That's a good idea, thanks.
    I'm pretty good at generating social media content and blog content. I'm also trying to learn indesign. So I will probably start by trying to get gigs in those areas. I may even do them on a voluntary basis, if I can see an opportunity to gain experience in certain

wheelstb, Sep 29, 2013 IP
  7. wheelstb

wheelstb Active Member

Best Answers:

Thanks, I didn't start my research yet because it seems like a lot of those places might not be legitimate.
    When I first think about it, It seems like craigslist would be a good place to start. Does anyone have any experience with craigslist in this arena?

8. DEBooks

DEBooks Guest

Best Answers:
    I found Graigs List Is area Specific even though it is world wide for example I live in Mississauga Ontario I can usually pnly access The greater toronto area 75 kM (50 mile) radius

DEBooks, Sep 29, 2013 IP
  9. Peterbndrs

Peterbndrs Active Member

Best Answers:
    craiglist is good but the other 2 are also very good sites for freelancers. Who told they are not legitimate?

Peterbndrs, Sep 29, 2013 IP
  10. wheelstb

wheelstb Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't mean to imply that any site in particular is not legitimate. No one specifically told me that a certain site is not legitimate either. My statement was based on my thoughts and experiences.
    I have been burned by different work from home programs using the Internet before. Now I approach anything involving the Internet and income with a healthy grain of salt and skepticism. For example, in the past I had joined what I thought was a freelance writing site. It turns out that you had to buy different membership packages and pay before you even started. I have also tried a few things with eBay in the past. With these situations I have found that there was almost always a catch 22 or something was not quite as it was made out to be.

11. wheelstb

wheelstb Active Member

Best Answers:
    I could see that being a drawback. But at this point I'm just looking to get my feet wet. So, it might be best to start with something smaller and more local.

12. hanady

hanady Member

Best Answers:
    I am a freelancer with over 2 years of experience and I am willing to help you. I use Elance, it is the best platform that really values you talent and skills. I have tried : freelancer.com, oDesk, peopleperhour and Elance the best is Elance.
    I have created a blog for freelancing tips to help other freelancer like you to get started and manage their life and make extra money or even take freelancing as a full time job. If you are interested then I could send you the link.

hanady, Sep 29, 2013 IP
  13. hanady

hanady Member

Best Answers:
    I just want to add that if you really want to start seriously then I recommend you start with a platform really for freelancers, it is easier to start and values your talent a lot more.

hanady, Sep 29, 2013 IP
  14. ChrisBa

ChrisBa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This might sound silly but you need to market yourself to your potential clients, start to advertise/reach out to people and businesses that could benefit from your services

ChrisBa, Sep 29, 2013 IP
  15. wheelstb

wheelstb Active Member

Best Answers:
    That does not sound silly. That is absolutely what I need to do. First I need to find out what I am selling and where.

16. wheelstb

wheelstb Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you to everyone for the advice. I have been putting off my adventure into freelance marketing, I think for a couple of reasons.
    1. I would be very disappointed if I were to get into it and was not able to make it work.
    2. I don't think I possess enough skills.
    I have convinced myself that I can do it I just need to start small.
    I feel that I need to build up a better portfolio. I would like to get into creating social media content (which I have a lot of experience in) I would also like to do search engine marketing content dealing with keywords and things like that. I don't have a lot of experience in that. What is the best way for me to build up a solid amount of skills that I could sure to a potential employer?

wheelstb, Nov 18, 2013 IP
  17. wheelstb

wheelstb Active Member

Best Answers:
    For a couple of reasons I do not want to put my picture on my freelance marketing profile. How important is it to have a picture? I see that a lot of other people do have personal pictures.
    Could I also get away with using some kind of professional marketing avatar, like something that would depict my marketing organization? I was thinking about calling myself J&W Marketing. Possibly I could use an avatar with that name on it .

Where can I make my own avatar image?

wheelstb, Jan 2, 2014 IP
  18. Chad Eztraffic

Chad Eztraffic Member

Best Answers:
    I see, you have fear. That's the first flaw already. When you start something - you already step on someone else's toes. Change your mindset first, or go work for someone else.

* Here's my suggestion as to how to get into freelance marketing:

Most of online freelancers start on Fiverr then Freelancer, Odesk etc. - As you don't seem to want to build your own brand, stick to those websites, try to get good ratings etc.

Chad Eztraffic, Jan 2, 2014 IP
  19. wheelstb

wheelstb Active Member

Best Answers:
    WhiteHat,

I see your point but in this situation it is a little bit off the mark. I don't have fear nor am I afraid of building my own brand. I have a disability. I am worrying that you might be able to glean some indication of that from a picture of myself. That is why I wanted to avoid using a personal picture.

wheelstb, Jan 4, 2014 IP
  20. wheelstb

wheelstb Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've decided that while I get my feet wet the best thing for me to start with is freelance writing (blog content, short article copy) and social media content.

It seems to me the best places for me to start our craigslist and fiver. This way I can get help on the forums without competing directly with too many people.

I have a small portfolio of written work that encompasses the type of projects I want to do. My question is, what are the fundamentals of a good ad for your services and what things should I strive for or be aware of when I am starting out?

Thanks in advance for the help.

wheelstb, Jan 22, 2014 IP