1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google introduces new 'Hummingbird' search algorithm

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by driftinghere, Sep 26, 2013.

MENLO PARK, California (Reuters) - Google Inc has overhauled its search algorithm, the foundation of the Internet's dominant search engine, to better cope with the longer, more complex queries it has been getting from Web users.

Amit Singhal, senior vice president of search, told reporters on Thursday that the company launched its latest "Hummingbird" algorithm about a month ago and that it currently affects 90 percent of worldwide searches via Google.

Google is trying to keep pace with the evolution of Internet usage. As search queries get more complicated, traditional "Boolean" or keyword-based systems begin deteriorating because of the need to match concepts and meanings in addition to words.

"Hummingbird" is the company's effort to match the meaning of queries with that of documents on the Internet, said Singhal from the Menlo Park garage where Google founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin conceived their now-ubiquitous search engine.

"Remember what it was like to search in 1998? You'd sit down and boot up your bulky computer, dial up on your squawky modem, type in some keywords, and get 10 blue links to websites that had those words," Singhal wrote in a separate blogpost.

"The world has changed so much since then: billions of people have come online, the Web has grown exponentially, and now you can ask any question on the powerful little device in your pocket."

Page and Brin set up shop in the garage of Susan Wojcicki -- now a senior Google executive -- in September 1998, around the time they incorporated their company. This week marks the 15th anniversary of their collaboration.

(Reporting by Alexei Oreskovic; Editing by Gerald E. McCormick and Bob Burgdorfer)
    http://news.yahoo.com/google-introduces-hummingbird-search-algorithm-182009530--sector.html

driftinghere, Sep 26, 2013 IP
  2. fgro

fgro Member

Best Answers:
    So.. anybody know what he is talking about? Algorithm change? Sure. What kind of effect will be seen?

fgro, Sep 26, 2013 IP
  3. log0008

log0008 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's saying that they can now better understand longer search teams, so people some may gain, others may lose traffic

log0008, Sep 26, 2013 IP
  4. jopsons

jopsons Active Member

Best Answers:
    One more biggest headache for seo guys, lets see what will happened.

searchengineland(dot)com/google-hummingbird-172816

jopsons, Sep 26, 2013 IP
  5. alex06295

alex06295 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think, Google has provided a little relief to SEO guys these days, compared to first panda and penguin updates.

alex06295, Sep 26, 2013 IP
  6. apnavarun

apnavarun Member

Best Answers:
    So its Hummingbird that sucking since september 4.

apnavarun, Sep 26, 2013 IP
  7. naveenjosh

naveenjosh Active Member

Best Answers:
    As per the above statement this algo update happens 1 month ago means around 23-26th Aug 2013. Hope you all remember that we all have noticed a little bit fluctuation in our website performance last month on same date. See the link below for details: https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/what-can-be-the-problem-of-my-website.2680583/#post-18724287 ...

I think this is the Google 15th Birthmonth gift for all of us.

naveenjosh, Sep 27, 2013 IP
  8. rozerr

rozerr Active Member

Best Answers:
    In an article on forbes, I also read that this algorithm is more focused on ranking sites better for relevance.

rozerr, Sep 27, 2013 IP
  9. werliyu

werliyu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I read about Google Hummingbird on searchengineland. They said that Panda & Penguin is like someone change oil filter on an engine and Hummingbird is like changing an old engine for a new one.

SEO guidelines are still the same and Quality Content is very much needed!

werliyu, Sep 27, 2013 IP
    log0008 likes this.
  10. SearchBliss

SearchBliss Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Another reason why I say to make your content for your users with "real world" search terms.

SearchBliss, Sep 27, 2013 IP
  11. John325

John325 Member

Best Answers:
    Today I have seen about this update. I think it will good from seo point of view. Spammer will be suffer with this update.

John325, Sep 27, 2013 IP
  12. Lee Fox

Lee Fox Peon

Best Answers:
    It's been in use for over a month now and I haven't noticed any significant traffic changes one way or the other.

Lee Fox, Sep 27, 2013 IP
  13. werliyu

werliyu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't thinks we should worry about our site will be affected by this new search algorithm update if we have a quality content.
    Just saying.:)

werliyu, Sep 27, 2013 IP