1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do You Think Rewriting Content Is Plagiarism?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by amanstyle, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Emma Pollard

Emma Pollard Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think what most people are saying is that if you read someone else's work and then write an article on the same topic, this is not plagiarism as you are writing the article with your own thoughts on the subject. Taking someone else's work and changing some of the words (even 90% of them) is considered plagiarism. Having your own mind in a world where you are told what to think is always a good idea!!

Emma Pollard, Sep 7, 2013 IP
    Conran likes this.
  2. lukeit

lukeit Active Member

Best Answers:
    isn't plagiarism when you rewrite in your native language.

lukeit, Sep 16, 2013 IP
  3. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    If I were to take content from you and then rewrite it in my native French, I would be committing plagiarism. Changing the language that you steal with, does in no way alter or lessen the offense.

Spoiltdiva, Sep 16, 2013 IP
    Emma Pollard likes this.
  4. digitalcreativenetwork

digitalcreativenetwork Member

Best Answers:
    I think re-writing is not always plagiarism depending upon what you are re-writing. There are 2 types of information available in writing world and depending upon what you are rewriting can be classified as Plagiarism or Non- Plagiarism.

For example you are re-writing on a topic "Healthy diet". Now before writing, you have to browse for the information online and grab the information available and input them in your knowledge chamber and then you start writing on the same. So, this is a sort of re-writing but not plagiarism provided you have not used to substitute words by words following some other article.

But another sort of re-writing can be considered as plagiarism... Suppose you are writing on something that is intangible and the original idea comes out of someone's brain then re-writing the same in your own word is definitely plagiarism...
    You are actually stealing someone's idea and trying to claiming it as your own using substitute words for it.

But these are my own views and some of you may not agree with this.

digitalcreativenetwork, Sep 26, 2013 IP
  5. Lokahi

Lokahi Active Member

Best Answers:
    When writing an article you will have to read other people's articles in the same niche in order to properly research the subject. That's just part of the writing process. And, you might even make some notes about basic ideas. That's not saying you will be copying anything from these articles. But you will need to inform yourself before writing. Once you have done enough reading, all that information will percolate in your brain and then the real writing process can begin.

Lokahi, Sep 26, 2013 IP
    YesThatsMe likes this.
  6. marl09

marl09 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Yes it is.You are still copying the content no matter how many words you change.

marl09, Nov 15, 2013 IP
  7. Damina

Damina Peon

Best Answers:
    I think if you're going to rewrite something, you should really look for something to add to it. Technically, no I don't think it's plajorism, but imagine if you read 5-10 articles on a subject, made a couple phone calls to verify facts and obtain new information, and then organized everything you gleaned from this process into a newly created thorough article on the same topic as the one you could have just rewritten in the first place.

In my opinion this will rank and/or sell better then an article you just rewrote really fast.

Damina, Nov 15, 2013 IP
  8. Conran

Conran Active Member

Best Answers:
    There is a big difference between research and plagiarism.
    Research is the gathering of important points needed to present a thorough article, plagiarism is simply copying someone else and offering nothing original. It's perfectly fine to be reading several articles on a subject to gather points of interest, but you need to frame these points in your own article in your own way. They should only be used as a platform to explore the ideas you need to explore in the piece.
    If anyone here can look at an article written by someone else and NOT see something they would change, find something they would add, or something they think needs more elaboration, then they probably shouldn't be writing that piece at all.

Conran, Nov 16, 2013 IP
  9. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just re-writing an article = Plagiarism.
    Using an article for research = Research.

Mkcoy, Nov 16, 2013 IP
  10. Rakshith Daniel

Rakshith Daniel Active Member

Best Answers:
    No, it is not as long as you re-write at least 70% of the original content.

Plagiarism is when you use someone else's words or ideas and pass them off as your own. The word plagiarism comes from a Latin word for kidnapping. You know that kidnapping is stealing a person. Well, plagiarism is stealing a person's ideas or writing as explained in kidshealth, but if you rewrite the entire article on your own words then its not plagiarism for me.

Rakshith Daniel, Nov 16, 2013 IP
  11. Mystique

Mystique Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is true definitely because we would have to categorize as plagiarism all already written. Let's say the sun explodes; it's materially impossible that a thousand people write an article on this issue without repeating certain words and information even if none of them are really plagiarizing one another's content.

Mystique, Nov 16, 2013 IP
  12. Jinson John

Jinson John Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yes, rewriting the content is plagiarism. Unless you take a bit of ideas from an article and use your words with efforts.

Jinson John, Nov 16, 2013 IP
  13. YesThatsMe

YesThatsMe Member

Best Answers:
    Best answer here. Basically we all do rewrite content.

YesThatsMe, Nov 27, 2013 IP
  14. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not true. Just an Internet myth. There is no such thing as just a little plagiarized. A 5,000 word essay could have a sentence or two that is not properly attributed and it would put the entire essay into disrepute.

Look. The difference between plagiarism/content theft and research comes down to two words - words vs facts. If you copy someone's words, you're plagiarizing. If you learn facts from someone and reword those facts using your own words, you are doing research.

YMC, Nov 28, 2013 IP
  15. PassGoSEO

PassGoSEO Member

Best Answers:
    Very nicely put! Words vs facts!

PassGoSEO, Nov 28, 2013 IP
  16. zeesales

zeesales Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Plagiarism has clear meaning. If you stole the idea of an article, it will be plagiarism. But most of the niche and subjects on internet are universal truth.

e.g. The distance between earth and moon (it may be farthest or nearest or average or approximate), it will be the same interpretation by every author. It will not change at all as its not an idea. Its a fact which will never change.

Almost all websites are on the subject or niche which are universal truth unless otherwise website on movies or patented health product etc. where it is a story out of the mind of the author which is not necessary be a fact.

So if your website or your articles are on universal truth (like health, wedding, seo, digital marketing etc ....), everybody is telling the same idea which would have been published somewhere earlier. So this is not a plagiarism in my opinion.

zeesales, Dec 17, 2013 IP
  17. PassGoSEO

PassGoSEO Member

Best Answers:
    If that is truly what you believe, presumably you can now cut and paste Yahoo's main page every day, and republish it on your own website in it's entirety. When their lawyers come for you, offer up that argument. I'm sure they will see the sense in it and say "OK, no problem, carry on.". You should do it with every news site on the planet. After all, they are reporting 'facts', and by your argument you can therefore just 'repurpose' their material as you like.

PassGoSEO, Dec 17, 2013 IP
  18. zeesales

zeesales Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I did not say anywhere copy & paste. Its of no use to SERPs. I was talking about plagiarism and nothing about writing. Please do not take it otherwise. You have to write your own articles. But universal truth will be the same in all articles or contents and the words will be different.

19. PassGoSEO

PassGoSEO Member

Best Answers:
    The title of this thread is 'Do you think rewriting content is plagiarism'. As most rewriting is done with crappy spinners, of course it plagiarism. In fact, it's worse. At best it's 'creating a derivative work', at worst its copyright theft. Even if you do it manually, if all you do is swap a few words for synonyms, you're not only stealing, you're trying to hide the fact that you have stolen.

As for your 'universal truth'; if only the Universe really was like that. Even your examples show how little you have thought about your own ideas. The 'distance from the earth to the moon' varies from moment to moment; even if it was a perfect circle, where are you measuring from? The center of the Earth? Top of K2? What resolution are you talking about? Miles? Meters? Nanometers?

Throwing your own 'example' back in your face is actually instructive, because the same principle applies to plagiarism. How much do you have to change an article before it's an 'original' work? I'm not expecting you to answer, BTW. There's no need. The answer is self-evident.

PassGoSEO, Dec 17, 2013 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  20. zeesales

zeesales Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I read many of your posts and you are just criticizing other poster and nothing doing else for the good of the forum. You are taking everyone in wrong direction unnecessarily. I think this is your nature and neither me or anybody could change it.