1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Where to find a mentor?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by *Sam*, Sep 7, 2013.

Hi All,

I'm wanting to get into online either affiliate marketing or niche websites and have read a lot in this forum about mentors being really valuable so was wondering where is the best place to find one?

I'm a new university student and would really like to do some work to raise some funds to help support my studies. This forum is so helpful and full of information so I guessed that someone may also know where to look for a possible mentor.

Even someone who has been doing this for a while or who has had recent success that can give me some tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help!
    Sam

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
    *Sam*, Sep 7, 2013 IP
  2. TheAnimatorGuy

TheAnimatorGuy Member

Best Answers:
    Forums like DigitalPoint, WarriorForum are quite good to find a suitable coach. You can also ask other successful Internet Marketers if they were coached and by who. But beware of scammers, they are out there and they can be very convincing to give them your money. Always ask REAL students if they were satisfied with their coach, and asked them via public posting, not private messages. You can discuss specifics via PM, but start asking publicly just as you did here.

TheAnimatorGuy, Sep 8, 2013 IP
  3. EmmanuelFlossie

EmmanuelFlossie Active Member

Best Answers:
    Affiliate marketing is in decline due to Google's views. I'd not waste your time on it.

You could do allot better with your time.

EmmanuelFlossie, Sep 8, 2013 IP
  4. *Sam*

*Sam* Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the tip, will go over and look at the WarriorForum to see what it offers.

And oh really? What would you suggest using my time for instead then?

*Sam*, Sep 8, 2013 IP
  5. EmmanuelFlossie

EmmanuelFlossie Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well i don't know what your skills are, so i would not know. I'm just letting you know that google is pushing affiliate marketing down the rankings. Just to warn you :)

EmmanuelFlossie, Sep 9, 2013 IP
  6. ninjamtlt1

ninjamtlt1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know where to find one, I've never really had a mentor. I've had a few people teach me certain things along the way, but I taught myself most of what I know. Teach yourself as much as you can until you can find someone who will guide you. If you need any tips or help, inbox me.

ninjamtlt1, Sep 11, 2013 IP
  7. ajapub

ajapub Member

Best Answers:
    While it is a constant struggle adjusting to google's changing rules, affiliate marketing is far from dead. Do NOT become dependent on any one source of advertising. Have many, and (when possible) do your best to form strategic partnerships with those particular agents.

As long as you keep up with the changes, you'll not only survive any changes the SEs decide to make, but thrive :)

ajapub, Sep 12, 2013 IP
  8. ajapub

ajapub Member

Best Answers:
    Contact site owners in the field that you're looking to work in and see if they need any type of assistance or would be willing to work with you to promote your site. There's almost always room for some type of cross promotions- even among "competitors".

While contacting a very huge and popular website owner might not get you any results, it's at least worth a try if you can get a response. The small to medium sized site owners will likely be quicker to offer you opportunities.

ajapub, Sep 12, 2013 IP
  9. VukasinI

VukasinI Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Screw the mentors. If you need any help about starting your business, you can ask here on forum. There are lot of great people who will help you for free!

VukasinI, Sep 12, 2013 IP
  10. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    As important as mentors are, you can simply google anything and everything you want withing seconds. So in a way, I agree. I also think no mentor will be willing to share everything he or she knows. That would be stupid.

qwikad.com, Sep 12, 2013 IP
    VukasinI likes this.
  11. ajapub

ajapub Member

Best Answers:
    I respectfully disagree. There are just some things that a good mentor who has been through where you have yet to tread can teach that you may not be able to find on google. A good mentor, acknowledging their pupil's strengths and deficiencies, will work with them in putting forth the one and boosting the other.

There are still organizations out there where participating in mentoring program is a good way (and in some cases, the only way) to get in good with associates and form long term, mutually beneficial business relationships.

ajapub, Sep 12, 2013 IP
  12. VukasinI

VukasinI Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly. Mentors will help, I didn't say they wouldn't, but there is a ton of free help on Internet from people who are willing to share that. Nobody want to share everything they know, every trick and every tiny detail, as you say that would be stupid.

VukasinI, Sep 13, 2013 IP
  13. AliceHarrold

AliceHarrold Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I would also look in your university for like minded individuals, as sometimes what you need is a focused team to support eachother.

AliceHarrold, Sep 13, 2013 IP
  14. ajapub

ajapub Member

Best Answers:
    Universities are excellent resources. Internships can turn into full blown careers/partnerships.

ajapub, Sep 13, 2013 IP