1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Self hosting or wordpress.com?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by fitnessmotto, Sep 9, 2013.

This is not about what is more expensive but which choice is better to start up a new blog with no traffic using wordpress software. When choosing wordpress.com for hosting you get the free marketing where wordpress users might find your blog browsing the wordpress.com blog topics. Users won't have the hassle to sign up in order to leave a comment.

When self hosting you won't get that free marketing traffic from wordpress.com or am I wrong?

fitnessmotto, Sep 9, 2013 IP
  2. Lunarninja777

Lunarninja777 Peon

Best Answers:
    Self hosting is much more professional and if your looking to grow your business long term.

Lunarninja777, Sep 9, 2013 IP
  3. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Agreed. Self hosting is like a vote of confidence. If you believe in what you're doing, get your own domain and do what you want.

qwikad.com, Sep 9, 2013 IP
  4. fitnessmotto

fitnessmotto Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I already bought my domain name which I am going to use on the self hosted option or on the wordpress.com option. But I was just wondering if it would make sense to start off with the premium hosting on wordpress.com until reputation starts to grow being initiated by the free wordpress.com traffic. Later on I could switch to self hosting my site. Switching would be no problem since I already do self hosting on other projects.

fitnessmotto, Sep 9, 2013 IP
  5. TheAnimatorGuy

TheAnimatorGuy Member

Best Answers:
    Well it is up to you... but as said above, I would also suggest self-hosting (paid) - if not for work things mentioned above, do it for a future possibility of selling your site.

TheAnimatorGuy, Sep 10, 2013 IP
  6. fitnessmotto

fitnessmotto Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your thoughts on it, guys.

fitnessmotto, Sep 10, 2013 IP
  7. ninjamtlt1

ninjamtlt1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You're right about this. YOu can go either way with it but If you want your blog to be a business and make real money from it, then you need to go self hosted. There's just so much more you can do with self hosted.

ninjamtlt1, Sep 10, 2013 IP
  8. Bottom_Up_Blogger

Bottom_Up_Blogger Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Definitely self-hosted, if you went through WordPress services you would later have to deal with the hassle and transition period of moving your site to being self-hosted later on.

Bottom_Up_Blogger, Sep 11, 2013 IP
  9. EmmanuelFlossie

EmmanuelFlossie Active Member

Best Answers:
    Self hosting, as wordpress.com subdomains can't have advertising while self hosting you can.

EmmanuelFlossie, Sep 11, 2013 IP