1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Looking for shared hosting

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by erezson, Aug 27, 2013.

I'm currently at hostgator and I'm not happy due to the amount of downtime I had in the past 6 month. I don't want to get into their support service stories...

What do I need:
    * Hosting to host some PHP product I have + Wordpress site
    * up to 10 USD a month
    * My site's traffic (around 2000 uniques a day and growing) from all over the world
    * Must have chat support

Hostings I didn't like:
    * Dreamhost
    * GoDaddy

Will be glad for any recommendation.

erezson, Aug 27, 2013 IP
  2. micksss

micksss Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Check out InMotion Hosting

micksss, Aug 27, 2013 IP
  3. postcd

postcd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe namecheap. Its interesting alternative to godaddy and hostgator.

postcd, Aug 27, 2013 IP
  4. HostGarou

HostGarou Active Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    CrocWeb is your friend, I recommend them!

HostGarou, Aug 28, 2013 IP
  5. MilesWeb

MilesWeb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting to see that you have straight away discarded the companies which may have came up in the form of suggestions by DP members. How much resources your site is consuming? What about disk space and bandwidth usage?

MilesWeb, Aug 28, 2013 IP
  6. erezson

erezson Active Member

Best Answers:
    I had so many downtimes with Hostgator due to long time of server replies. Every time they said its my internet connection although Pingdom reported that as well...

Most companies don't limit disk size / bandwidth, so I would expect it as well, but even if there is a limit I would say that I need around 100GB includes DB

erezson, Aug 28, 2013 IP
  7. ssrulz1

ssrulz1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Duh! 100GB bandwidth for less than $10 per month? That's purely an overselling, that has no difference from the word "unlimited"!!! Don't expect quality from both.

If you are looking for professional hosting, I would suggest Onlinecares (there are many other hosts that provide quality services, but I don't have experience with them). Onlinecares offer php/mysql hosting for $5.99 per month (15GB Bandwidth, 2GB Disk space) but that's dedicated, not overselling. (https://www.onlinecares.com/support/cart.php)

Its upto your requirements though. If you just want a cheap service, go with it.

ssrulz1, Aug 28, 2013 IP
  8. ultimatehostings

ultimatehostings Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    100GB is quite hard, you should go with a VPS instead.

ultimatehostings, Aug 29, 2013 IP
  9. Teodor

Teodor Banned

Best Answers:
    I believe that alberthost.com will suit your specific needs and meet your expectations.
    So far they have been excellent. I've had to contact support a few times and on all occassions my questions was answered very promptly.
    Try the code: 'forumpromotion' for 85% off first month.

Teodor, Aug 30, 2013 IP
  10. Hurki

Hurki Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    http://www.studio4web.com/ check them out. starting at 20€ a year. Have chat support. They are from Croatia, but I can say all the best for them. They helped me even more they should.

If you want to buy from them, I can get you discount from my affiliates program account with them ( 15% ) , -15% to you, and some benefits for me too :D

Hurki, Aug 30, 2013 IP
  11. JPC-Sabrina

JPC-Sabrina Member

Best Answers:
    It is a tough job choosing a good hosting provider. Look into companies that have been in business for many years and have a reputation as being reliable. A shared account with true cPanel options is always a good choice. cPanel puts more control of your hosting environment back into the users hands so you don't end up having to rely on support as often. Hope you find a good host to suit all of your needs.

JPC-Sabrina, Aug 30, 2013 IP
  12. euro-space

euro-space Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    euro-space, Sep 2, 2013 IP
  13. TheFall

TheFall Banned

Best Answers:
    If you are looking for reliable hosting solutions you should go with cddhosting.com for sure. They are trustworthy host with affordable fast servers and skilled team.

TheFall, Sep 6, 2013 IP
  14. hosting_spec80

hosting_spec80 Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you are not happy with Hostgator, I advise to pay your attention to Hostmonster hosting plans. They provide Anytime Money-Back Guarantee and have 100% U.S.-based support which is definitely a plus for English speaking customers.

hosting_spec80, Sep 8, 2013 IP
  15. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hostgator and Hostmonster are owned by the same company...EIG. IF you're not happy with HG, you certainly aren't going to be happy with Hostmonster.

WSWD, Sep 8, 2013 IP
  16. humtuma

humtuma Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am not satisfy with shared hosting company. Shared hosting suspend the account when your database reach 1gb or 5gb or 10gb. And force you to move on VPS or Dedicated server. If you can spend little bit more , try VPS. Kindly stay away from "Unlimited Space" , "Unlimited Bandwidth".

humtuma, Sep 9, 2013 IP
  17. erezson

erezson Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thats an interesting advice...

First, Thank you all for the comments.
    I must say that since my original post, Hostgator had no downtime, or at least not longer then 2 min. I would come to complain here more often then :)

I think I will give it one more money of try before I renew my account or pick another company.

Last Question - If I change to VPS, do I need any additional technical knowledge then used me to manage Shared hosting account?

erezson, Sep 9, 2013 IP
  18. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A VPS is definitely not an alternative for shared hosting if you don't know what you're doing. You will need to get a managed VPS, which are indeed more expensive. You will also need to get your own control panel. cPanel, for example, is going to cost extra, as you have to pay for the license. Sure, some companies offer it for "free", but it's simply built into the price.

So by the time you start adding up the extras, and management if you need it, it's going to be considerably more expensive to purchase a VPS than standard shared hosting.

WSWD, Sep 9, 2013 IP
  19. humtuma

humtuma Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You can buy managed VPS hosting i.e best for you , no technical knowledge needed. You have to pay more. But the service is good.

humtuma, Sep 9, 2013 IP
  20. Markwebuk

Markwebuk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @erezson, Most webhost now provide Managed Hosting Services as a part of their hosting feature at no extra cost. if you are looking for a manage VPS then you will have to improve your budget.

Markwebuk, Sep 9, 2013 IP