1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

If it's so easy then why aren't millions of people all over America doing it?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by johnnyr860, Sep 8, 2013.

We live in one of the worlds richest countries and yet we are still taking bailouts from other countries to help us survive this nightmare of tough economic times. Each time I see the president give a speech in reference to something related to the economy he talks about some plan he has come up with. The job market these days is up and down all over the place as is gas prices.

But I can't help and think of all the millions of people living in America (this goes for other countries too) that have huge debt and are struggling to make ends meet. I give you an example. A very good friend of mine from High School works at the customer service desk at the local supermarket here. She makes about 50 cents more then minimum wage pays and she has two kids and a boyfriend who works full time to support the family.

Now with that story I am not here to judge anyone on their life choices but every time I see her at the store I ask her how she is. How are the kids doing? Hows the love life treating you? Things like that. She knows I care and I told her if she ever needs anything I am here for her and her boyfriend already knows me. The point I am stressing is think about how many other people are out there in similar situations (struggling to make ends meet) or even single mothers who can barely support themselves.

If internet marketing is so great (which I believe it is) then how come millions and millions of people all over America are not jumping into the profits and making tons of money to become financially free instead of living paycheck to paycheck and taking help from the government? Better yet why does the government not have a system like this instead of relying on other countries for help? Internet marketing is great but I feel that not enough people know about it.

What are your thoughts on this?

johnnyr860, Sep 8, 2013 IP
    Isadore Gregory and qwikad.com like this.
  2. cronik

cronik Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Internet marketing isn't something you just jump into and get paid, working a regular 9-5 job is an easier route. It takes a lot of knowledge and time to start making money online. Either you have a skill you can freelance or you have to be good at marketing so you can make sales or rank people's websites. Not many people that get into online marketing actually become successful and make tons of money online.

Times are tough, but things are definitely getting better...

cronik, Sep 8, 2013 IP
    VukasinI likes this.
  3. Khadaji

Khadaji Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah! What he said!!!

Many people are sadly misinformed by what it takes - and that's time and commitment. You have to put it a lot of hours... even if you have a skill to sell, you will not be able to take full advantage of the Internet until you learn to put up your own site, and be able to drive traffic.

Even simple methods like Ebay require quite a bit of knowledge to make things 'tick'.

But on the other hand - you can earn more money online with less actual work than *anyone* trying to open an offline business. (People fail to realize just how much work *that* is as well...)

Khadaji, Sep 8, 2013 IP
  4. johnnyr860

johnnyr860 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I agree. If you know the right people and have the right connections it can be easier for a person to become successful. But at the same time I have mentioned to people different (simple) ways that they too can profit from the internet and even though they are legit most people have told me they are scams or that if internet marketing or my simple money making methods were really legit then everyone else in the world would be doing it. They talk without giving it a try. I guess for some people even though they might know they can succeed they just don't push themselves to the fullest potential.

5. johnnyr860

johnnyr860 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I agree here as well. Now with that said though once you get the ball rolling and you know what your doing it becomes easier to get a website built and to get traffic and anything else you may need. For a lot of people every penny counts and I see that in myself a lot too. But I also see a lot of people who have the potential to be very successful and they just never push themselves.

I understand that internet marketing is not something that happens overnight and that you won't just start seeing money magically appear in your pockets without the right amount of work and effort put into it but I feel a lot of internet marketers and gurus like to oversell their stuff and fill your head with all these hopes and wishes that may never come due to them overselling their materiel. I was just curious. But the point I make with this post is that if it really were that simple as some internet marketers claim then maybe everyone would be doing it or at least a lot more people for that matter.

6. TheAnimatorGuy

TheAnimatorGuy Member

Best Answers:
    Well, basically the answer is simple. 80% of "Internet Marketers" fail because they won't take action. They just read stuff but real actions is something totally different. And from those 20% who actually take action, 15% fail because they will not put enough time, effort and dedication to it. If someone thinks that he/she will make $5000/month without any knowledge, effort and work, then they will probably never make any money at all.

TheAnimatorGuy, Sep 9, 2013 IP
    VukasinI likes this.
  7. tobalsan

tobalsan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Because the principles of advertising are lies. Or at least misrepresentation of reality.

Online marketing is far from being easy (because if it was, yeah, everybody would be doing it. And then it wouldn't be profitable).

There must be a million (i think even more) of websites out there claiming "i got the solution for you to make $500 everyday EASILY / without efforts / without working too much" etc.
    This is so you buy whatever it is they want to sell.

Honestly, if i found the secret to make boatloads of money instantly (or within a few days), I wouldn't be giving it away for peanuts. I don't think I'd be giving it away at all.
    It's like 200 years ago. If someone found a goldmine, they weren't going to shout it to everyone.

tobalsan, Sep 9, 2013 IP
    VukasinI and Spoiltdiva like this.
  8. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I do and I won't.;)

Spoiltdiva, Sep 9, 2013 IP
  9. tobalsan

tobalsan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well you have nearly 4000 posts and 550 likes, 12 best answers, I kinda trust you on this one.

tobalsan, Sep 9, 2013 IP
  10. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I've been in and out of internet marketing since 2005 and doing it full time since 2010 and I can't imagine anyone going through what I have gone through while getting to where I am today (enjoying the benefits of my hard work). It's been a brutally, excruciatingly difficult experience. Still a very rewarding experience, on the other hand.

I think these 4 factors are crucial to achieving some kind of success with IM: knowledge / skills / persistence / a lot of luck.

I can't imagine the government coming up with an all-encompassing IM program that works for the majority, since the people in the government have no idea what it is all about.

qwikad.com, Sep 9, 2013 IP
  11. Tsani

Tsani Peon

Best Answers:
    every country different, mate. :)

Tsani, Sep 9, 2013 IP
  12. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    This is, without question, one of the top five dumbest posts/threads I have every read on DP. Congrats.

browntwn, Sep 9, 2013 IP
    cronik likes this.
  13. mkcookin

mkcookin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The reason as everyone else mentioned before me it is takes learning some new skills, and investing both time and money to grow start up and grow your business.

See what I said there... BUSINESS :)

The people who are truly successful at internet marketing treat this a a real business. You would't expect to start up an offline business and suddenly become rich now would you?

Just because you have access to the internet does not mean you will make money -- that would be like saying I have a bike so I am going to be a big triathlon champion.

With that said though -- the Internet can dramatically decrease the time it takes to earn a profit online then it would to start an offline business. I believe this is where the get rich quick term started from.

mkcookin, Sep 9, 2013 IP
  14. fmt2k7

fmt2k7 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You could also ask the following question of your friend: "why doesn't she just open her own supermarket?"

Truth is, not everyone is cut out to be their own boss. As an example, I have a brother that is very intelligent, a hard worker, and makes a decent living as an auto mechanic. He has tried on a couple of occasions to start his own company. He has many skills and great ideas, but failed miserably. He just HAS to have someone give him a schedule and tell him what to do. He has to have a boss.

And I have to disagree with some of my fellow-DPers. Internet Marketing is not quite as difficult as some have stated. And starting an Internet-based business is, comparatively speaking, quite easy. It requires very little start-up money compared to a brick and mortar business and without various hassles such as building leases, expensive equipment purchases, or having to manage a team of employees among other things.

But it does require dedication and the ability to get things done without a "boss" standing over your shoulder telling you what to do.

And remember this: it takes all kinds to make the world go 'round. If everyone became an Internet Marketer, who would stock the shelves at the supermarket or fix your car when it breaks down?

fmt2k7, Sep 10, 2013 IP
  15. discrat

discrat Active Member

Best Answers:
    People already have voiced this in the thread but people who see the bogus claims of IM and its quick riches jump in and think it will happen overnight.

It just solidifies the truth that most of us here already know and that is that IM takes time and patience.

There could be millions of people who make it in IM and be very successful at it if only they knew the truth that it takes a lot of time and work just like a regular brick and mortar business @

discrat, Sep 10, 2013 IP
  16. ninjamtlt1

ninjamtlt1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well actually there probably are millions of people in internet marketing. I don't think they all make a lot of money, most usually fail...but it has become a more and more popular way to become financially free and live the internet lifestyle.

ninjamtlt1, Sep 10, 2013 IP
  17. johnnyr860

johnnyr860 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Agreed. Good money requires hard work and dedication and nothing ever comes handed out to anyone. Thanks for posting :)

johnnyr860, Sep 10, 2013 IP
  18. johnnyr860

johnnyr860 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I have no idea why you gotta be so mean for. I simply posted my thoughts and opinions and instead I get attacked like a mob by people like you. If you have nothing nice to contribute to the conversation then why on earth are you even posting here in the first place? You ever hear of the phrase "treat people the way you wish to be treated?" Why not practice that sometime instead of being a mean disrespectful know it all who apparently knows so much that you could be in the book of world records for smartest person alive!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  19. johnnyr860

johnnyr860 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    My goal in life is to learn everything I can and the day that I become really successful (even if it takes me years) I want to offer that knowledge free of charge to everyone who seeks it. I know most internet marketers care more about making money but for me money is the last thing on my mind. Sure I want to be successful and make tons of money most of which I will probably donate to charity (and people have called me insane for saying that) but that is the way I vision my life. I do see tons of people who wish to jump into some form of online money making but they simply don't have the resources or the money to be able to afford to do so. But it is understood that money making is something that takes patients and a lot of hard work and dedication.

20. johnnyr860

johnnyr860 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I agree. The thing is with me I can't sit still for 5 seconds without having to go find something to do. If I ever did manage to strike gold with internet marketing even to the point where I could quit my job and stay at home all day I would still be out there working a full time job because I know I can't sit still let alone be at home alone for too long before I get bored out of my mind. I need to feel like I am interacting with people and doing something and while being my own boss would be great and I am sure of different ways for me to make this happen I can see myself still working. But I also agree with the example you gave here.