1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Want to Start Selling Websites. Best Way To Design For Easy Transfers

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by lakwaun, Aug 20, 2013.

I want to start creating websites and selling them. I am just wondering what is the most recommended way for easy if needed to transfer via webhost?
    Where is the peace of mind/security if I sell a word press website and offer free hosting on my shared hosting account were I can access the site through my file manager?

lakwaun, Aug 20, 2013 IP
  2. Tim Gallant Creative

Tim Gallant Creative Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think I'm tracking... WordPress sites can be transferred to other servers. It's done all the time.

Tim Gallant Creative, Aug 21, 2013 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    If you control the hosting you can ftp into anything - and once there you have access to all the info in wp-config so you can do what you want... not that you should.

if you are transferring the site you only need to zip up the wp-content folder and a sql dump of the database. Everything else is standard wp.

sarahk, Aug 21, 2013 IP
  4. Tim Gallant Creative

Best Answers:
    Yes. In fact, cPanel to cPanel sites can be migrated automatically. Although I'm not sure I'd recommend that for something critical. At least not without also backing up everything.

Tim Gallant Creative, Aug 21, 2013 IP
  5. lakwaun

lakwaun Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Gotcha! Im just learning how to use Dreamweaver now. Haven't started my site yet but just finishing up all the tutorial videos.
    Another question I understand the chmod permissions somewhat but is there something I can offer a customer as to locking there own sites directory on my server where it isn't affected by how it's shown to the world?
    In my cpanel I can create them there own sign in, should I just do it that way and encourage them to change there password?
    Im sure I will still be able to ftp in there directory either way correct!?

lakwaun, Sep 1, 2013 IP
  6. Tim Gallant Creative

Best Answers:
    You should be able to set up an FTP account for yourself. Then when they change their cPanel password, it won't affect you.

Tim Gallant Creative, Sep 1, 2013 IP
  7. lakwaun

lakwaun Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Right! Thats what I am understanding. I understand how to do that. But will I still be able to access there FTP account from my cpanel dashboard once I set up theirs and they have changed there password? Trying to offer them some type of protection sorta speak!

Can you please take a look at my other thread here https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/how-to-auto-serve-cafee-press-coupons-from-email-to-my-website-automatically.2678625/

lakwaun, Sep 1, 2013 IP
  8. Tim Gallant Creative

Best Answers:
    I don't understand your question. Why would you need to use your cPanel dashboard once the FTP account is set up? Use an FTP program, like FileZilla.

9. lakwaun

lakwaun Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Lol. Ok I get it. I just always use the file browser in my cpanel is what I was stating. I also know how to FTP into my web server using my cpanel credentials. Sorry didnt mean my cpanel but threw my cpanel via the file manager which is pretty much the exact same thing as FTP.

lakwaun, Sep 1, 2013 IP
  10. Tim Gallant Creative

Best Answers:
    Not a chance. File Manager is nowhere near as fast or useful as a real FTP client. Once you start using a real app, you'll never want to go back to that, I guarantee you.

sarahk likes this.
  11. lakwaun

lakwaun Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I actually do use FTP for other things besides my websites like transferring files for mods and across the internet to other computers and would admit it is much faster then the file manager but don't see any other reasons or benefits. Plus I am just so use to going threw my cpanel. May I ask what is your expertise? Whats your major career or expertise within the computer field?

lakwaun, Sep 1, 2013 IP
  12. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You have all the time in the world, huh?

When I have to move thousands of files (such as a wordpress upgrade) I don't want to be doing it file by file, folder by folder. I can't believe you think that's acceptable!

I use filezilla and love the folder synchronization so that when I move from a folder on the server it moves to the right folder on my local drive. Fast, efficient and stops the stuff ups.

sarahk, Sep 1, 2013 IP
  13. Tim Gallant Creative

Best Answers:
    lakwuan, I have been in the web design & development business for 8 1/2 years. The File Manager is a complete waste of time. I can't imagine why anyone who had ever opened a real FTP program would ever want to use it. I can queue up SmartFTP and go do something else while gigabytes of transfers are in process. You can't do that with a simple file upload tool like cPanel's File Manager.

14. lakwaun

lakwaun Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    To be honest I haven't had to move much files before so I understand what your saying Sarahk. As those features do come in handy when transferring a lot of files to game stations and other computers on and off my network. I do understand that benefit which is why my FTP client has my website info stored in it as we speak! I actually use Filezilla as well sometimes when im on someone elses computer but I have been stuck on FlashFXP since I purchased it more then ten years ago and have gotten used to it. I am just getting into webdesign fully committed! Just finished taking a Lynda course on Dreamweaver although have a few more chapters to go before entirely complete. But I learned basic HTML and a little CSS about 2 or 3 years ago using just the windows notepad. And I must say Dreamweaver is a great tool for both visually but also learning more into code. Eager to jump in and start designing a new site but want to finish the tutorials first and gather all the info I really need so I will be really ready!

Yea I know! I do love that option! LOL! I do it all the time! I just really haven't moved a lot of files to my web server yet! I use the simple scripts library within my cpanel just to test out a few scripts to be honest although I have had multiple web hosting accounts for over 5 years. Just was always playing with them sort of speak. P.S. Word of advise watch out for fatcow and ipages fine print. At the end of your selected hosting term they charge you about three times the amount to renew! But I still just bought another brand new account since it was only like $25 for 2 years of webhosting service since I was just messing around with the previous accounts! lol

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2013
    lakwaun, Sep 1, 2013 IP
  15. Tim Gallant Creative

Best Answers:
    All I'll say about web hosting is you get what you pay for. Sometimes, less. :)

I have a fully-managed VPS on steroids. I wouldn't want to go back to shared hosting, that's for sure.

16. lakwaun

lakwaun Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    WOW! LOL! Those services are expensive!! But I guess since your almost a seasoned vet it would only make since for you to have one. i will get there. I have always wanted to get one since I heard some benefits of network gaming with them. Do you host it yourself? Is it within the United States? I am thinking of getting one but having my wife's brother get it in his country of resident. Are or would the speeds be that bad for US customers to access my site on it in general? Im mainly getting it out of the country due to some other benefits!

lakwaun, Sep 2, 2013 IP
  17. Tim Gallant Creative

Best Answers:
    It's fully managed, so I don't need to be a sys-admin. It only makes sense to have a high quality hosting setup if you're hosting paying clients.

Tim Gallant Creative, Sep 3, 2013 IP
  18. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    hmmm....

for a start, if you are using dreamweaver for designing, you might as well use dreamweaver for the ftp client, just makes sense. Main thing is to make sure you are using cloaking to hide your artwork (ie psd folders) as well as things like templates. I find its easier to have a folder called "DO NOT UPLOAD", and put in all the files that dont go on the server in here, and cloak it.

As for locking the folder.... I normally login to cpanel, and just password protect the directory. It makes it easy to lock a folder, so that noone else can see it, and just send the client the url and login details and then only you and your client can view the folders contents.

As for hosting subdomains on your own cpanel account. First thing is DONT host a subdomain underneath of your public_html folder. I have seen a few people do this, and it just makes a mess. In the very least, create a folder (from your root directory not under anything) called "addon_domains" and when you addon a domain, store it underneath of this folder. this way, your site is in its own folder (public_html) and clients folders are elsewhere.
    This is especially important seeing as you are using dreamweaver. If this is for a client, I might have client_addon_domains, but you get the idea.

One thing that I find odd is that you mention that you are learning to design in dreamweaver, but you are considering to build sites in wordpress? Have you ever built a wordpress site before? Or is this something you plan to learn when you can. Right now, If someone buys a site from you, what else is included? what about email accounts etc? They may need back access to the server and to their files.

If I may make a suggestion for you. Sign up with a hosting provider that also offers cheap reseller hosting, and sign up for a cheap cpanel account. Once you have 1 client and they approve your design and pay you, thats when you upgrade your account to a reseller, and host your clients account on its own account. This way they can manage their emails easily if they need to, they can run their own backups if they want to as well you can give them a dedicated amount of space and bandwidth.

As for quality hosting providers..... you need to avoid any hosting provider that offers unlimited. Seriously, avoid them at all costs.Tim is right when he says "All I'll say about web hosting is you get what you pay for. Sometimes, less." Years ago, I moved my sites from hostgator (as it was painfully slow) to a VPS, and man, they just flew. But if you are starting out, you dont need to worry about that at this stage. Once you can afford it, is when you can scale up to a quality VPS.

matt_62, Sep 8, 2013 IP