1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How could I stop someone from recreating my online service

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by crystalgrid, Aug 30, 2013.

I am developing an online service (an application for Windows).

I understand that I can copyright the software itself.

However I would like to know my options with respect to protecting the security technique that this service will use so it cannot be immediately replicated and exploited by another party.

I read about Patents however I assume I would require an international patent and there is no way I could afford this.

Do you have any advice on how I could protect this product both here and overseas?

It would seem that it would be very easy for someone to take what I am doing and to create a competing product.

crystalgrid, Aug 30, 2013 IP
  2. Dave Zan

Dave Zan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can't really stop anyone from copying the idea, although you can stop one from copying the material manifestation of the idea (i.e. code of your online service). So someone can create a service that (possibly) competes with yours as long as they're using their own kind of code, technique, or whatever, and then you just have to provide as much value as you can afford to be (somehow) better than the other.

Good luck.

Dave Zan, Aug 30, 2013 IP
  3. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Where I'm from a 1st class international business patent runs about $1,075 U.S. This would be considered a business expense and could be claimed on your tax return. So you would get some of it back. If your idea is worth copying, then it's surely worth protecting. You may need to bite the bullet and make the investment.

Spoiltdiva, Aug 31, 2013 IP
    TrafficTOM likes this.
  4. hockeystick

hockeystick Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Get an attorney who is willing to take a small percentage if it's that good.

hockeystick, Sep 13, 2013 IP
  5. Vedmak

Vedmak Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You cannot stop anybody from copying you.

We can use Fiverr as example. They came up with relatively unique gimmick marketplace, and were immediately copied. They spent ton of money with trademarks and it did nothing. You can Google "Fiverr alternative" and there are plenty. So how do you fight clones? You try to have a good reason for people to come to you instead of your competition. I prefer Coca Cola, some people prefer Pepsi, its capitalism, everybody makes money.

People always look into trademarks, but so few look into anti-competition laws which will result in courts siding with underdog as competition is good for consumers. When you do not have decent competition you get bad quality products and stagnation.

Vedmak, Oct 10, 2013 IP
  6. zbode Tech

zbode Tech Peon

Best Answers:
    Patent your unique process.

zbode Tech, Oct 10, 2013 IP