1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is directory submission dead!

Discussion in 'Directories' started by seoblore, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Lasse Nielsen

Lasse Nielsen Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi, No, it's not dead. It can still be used as part of a back linking profile, but you won't get much results by just gaining links in web directories. You need to diversify your backlink profile. Directory submission is still alive but time changes previously ppl used to do it in quantity base no matter whatever the website is.. But now this tradition has changes ppl has to do quality base in good directory sites. Directory submission is still important for giving quality backlinks. Try submitting to high PR sites. I also use G-Lock Fast Directory Submitter to automate the task. Have a nice day ! :)

Lasse Nielsen, Aug 28, 2013 IP
    sunilmamo, Mia and stoner3221 like this.
  2. stoner3221

stoner3221 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What a load of ignorant manure you spew.

stoner3221, Aug 28, 2013 IP
    snakeair, sunilmamo and Mia like this.
  3. Apna

Apna Active Member

Best Answers:
    I experience it myself, sorry can't share URL

Apna, Aug 28, 2013 IP
  4. Apna

Apna Active Member

Best Answers:
    ...........because you are 'Directory Guru'

Apna, Aug 28, 2013 IP
  5. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Apna, if you are going to make a claim to the contrary, please be prepared to back up that claim. Just because you said it; does not make it so. I get numerous emails from people on a regular basis with the same canned BS you are spewing claiming that their web site has been penalized by Google and my directory is the culprit.

One common theme amongst these complaints is the lack of hard evidence of any kind that this is the case. Nor have I received a copy of a letter from Google that officially states and or names, my directory, or anyone's for that matter as being responsible for the penalization of their web site.

The truth is, you've fallen prey to and are downing the koolaid being mass produced by those in the SEO community that have absolutely NO clue what they are doing.

If I am wrong, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Mia, Aug 28, 2013 IP
    snakeair and Arick unirow like this.
  6. Apna

Apna Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not going to take it longer and not here to ruin others business.
    I just shared my personal experience with 3 websites, one had just directory links, nothing else.

My claim is based on my research on Moz, Majestic and Link Detox.

Apna, Aug 28, 2013 IP
  7. tornado!

tornado! Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm surprised that some reputable members here thanked your post when you use software to spam directories. It seems some directory owners are clueless.

tornado!, Aug 29, 2013 IP
    sunilmamo likes this.
  8. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    What research. Apna, you've not shared any examples, any websites or any concrete proof that directory links cause websites to be penalized by google.

I think it is pretty irresponsible to make such claims and then not back them up. If you have any actual concrete proof, please share it with us. As I indicated before, just because you say so, does not make it so. And citing 3 SEO web sites certainly does not help substantiate your claims. These guys change their opinion with regards to everything every time there's a new update. Google says JUMP, they say how high? Truth is, the "link" issue that many of you are seeing has a lot more to do with your choice of links, frequency, volume and location than it does with being categorically cataloged in a searchable directory of web sites.

The real truth is the SEO's have NO clue what so ever what particular combination of linking is causing their issues and instead of figuring that out have chosen to remove any and all links no matter where they are coming from.

As a result of all this knee jerk correction, the negation of certain links coupled with the addition of NOFOLLOW has cause SEO's to pagesculplt PR rather than concentrating on quality content and good navigation within the web site it self.

Think about it. What's worse? 2 relevant follow links or 20 irrelevant nofollows? The use of NOFOLLOW and removal of relevant links is hurting you more than simply doing nothing.

Mia, Aug 29, 2013 IP
  9. Endurint

Endurint Peon

Best Answers:
    Directories that merely list websites aren't worth as much anymore. However, topic-based niche indexes that list content by URL and link directly to specific pages on websites still have great value. In full disclosure, I own this one, but http://ukno.it is an example of a niche index. The focus is on tutorials and educational/informational/ content, and the links go directly to the the individual content items--never the home page of a website.

Does that distinction make sense? I'll clarify with a much longer answer and more examples if you'd like.

Endurint, Aug 30, 2013 IP
  10. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    If we go with Apna's expert opinion, how then would Google make a distinction?

Mia, Aug 30, 2013 IP
  11. Endurint

Endurint Peon

Best Answers:
    The distinction that search engines make is between a link to a website and a link to a content item. For example, let's say that you have a website about niche blogging. And on this website you have a home page and two articles. One of the articles is a case study about a niche blog that you built before; and the other article is a how-to guide that walks through the process of choosing a niche, setting up the blog, and maintaining it.

A bland, unhelpful directory listing would be a link to your site's home page in a directory that lists "Niche Blogging Websites." A useful, more illustrative link would be to list that how-to article in a tutorial index under their "niche blogging" category. Then your link is pointing directly to relevant content (check 1), that link appears in a context where it makes sense (check 2), and the reason for that link is qualified by the content of the originating page versus just showing up in a list of links (check 3).

Endurint, Aug 30, 2013 IP
  12. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Therein lies your problem....

People not knowing what they are doing will take the easy road and bury themselves. They build links one way that they know, feel more confident in or is easy because you get a thousand directory submissions to free directories for $10. Then you feel hey, I am done I got a thousand links. It would not matter if all your links were from directories or blog comments or wiki or any of the other sources out there. Directory links are fine but you need to diversify the link profile to the site.

If you go to the services section of the forum and pay someone $10 to build a thousand links to your site and that is all you have. 1000 links from low quality free directories what do you expect to happen? Of course your sites ranking will drop. Might even disappear. Search engines pick up on that in a heartbeat and punish you for trying to manipulate their results. The search engines see only one type of link (or a very high percentage of one type) in your profile.

Build a diverse link profile utilizing many types of links. Use Quality directories, make quality blog comments on popular blogs, publish good quality articles on popular sites that get traffic etc...

By building a link profile that only utilizes one spoke of the wheel you might as well have posted a comment on Matt Cutts blog asking him to personally bury your site.

How do you fix it??? Not by listening to the SEO experts running around saying pay us to get your links removed or submit a disavow request... Build more quality links from different sources to diversify your link profile. I been there and done it with a site I put up to test it. It works.

swedal, Aug 30, 2013 IP
    snakeair likes this.
  13. Apna

Apna Active Member

Best Answers:
    I didn't submit to cheap $10 directories, they were paid high PR directories, some of them got penalty and de-indexed from Google, passed me toxic backlinks.

Apna, Aug 30, 2013 IP
  14. Arick unirow

Arick unirow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    @Apna : I could clearly understand your opinion. I'm not directory owner (always willing to have one but still had no chance) but I have done basic research about directory (in relation with rank, trust and authority in SERP and Business level acknowledgement).

Some people said: "Directory is dead and very dangerous". Well, I think you were right about it. There are lots of peoples lose their rank the sites were banned or sand-boxed. Some peoples even tries to prove it by sending their links to directories just to test it by themselves. Sadly the sites were banned/de-indexed and lost the rank. This mean your opinion could be 'true'.

Another people said the otherwise. They make several sites and send the url to directories of their choices. The result is the sites got better ranks and higher trust level. This is real fact too.

So, some of you may ask: Why I write two different things and said both of them were true?
    Simple, Actually what @Apna said is different than what others may think. The difference are on many things. Here are few of them:
    1. Type of sites
    2. Types of directory
    3. Interval of submission
    4. Title and description in each directories, etc.
    It is basically we compare two things:
    1. Planting trees in desert, and
    2. Planting trees in forest
    Apna said the sites lose it ranks after being listed in directories (paid type directories).
    Actually there are no different for both 'Paid' and 'Free' directory. Both of them only used to 'list' (serve link about) good site which can be used as reference by human and bots. What make difference is 'Quality' of the directory.

Sending links to 'low quality directory' is not wise idea.
    The problem is, Many new and old directories turn out to be 'low quality directory' but not all people realize it. Off course it is not really easy to decide the quality because the quality we were going to talk is related with 'SE quality assessment'. Understanding how Search Engine works require millions of data and deep analyzing of it (which require couple of years to finish). The bad things about analyzing data is "When it about to finish, SE may change the algorithm". I do have my own 'set of rules to determine the quality of directory'.

I write this post just to encourage everyone to learn (maybe discuss) how Directory works because it will answer the purpose of this thread and help so many readers.

To make it short, Here are my opinion:
    1. Directory is just like another site which give link to another sites in the web. We already understand if 'links' could help and also hurt sites.
    2. Directory is just a type of site which able to help sites gain 'lower/higher rank'.
      Links from low quality site would cause bad things. Not only Directories, Blogs and forums would also cause the same bad things. links should not being submitted to 'bad places'.
    3. Directory is just a site which act like 'voter'.
      Ask our selves: "How much sites being submitted in directories and get better result?". Many webmaster submit their sites to the directories of their choices. If directory is 'dead/dangerous', there would be massive 'chaos' due to so many sites lost it ranks.
      Many bigger sites starting from small sites. They submit their sites to directories and keep the quality of their sites. It mean directory is not dangerous. Both quality of our sites and directory will affect the decision of SE to lower/raise ranks.
      If there are too many 'vote' to our site while the quality of site is not that high, SE will 'lower' the rank. SE is not 'that stupid'. :)
    4. There are two types of directory (in term of quality):
      - Good Directory (High Quality directory), and
      - Bad Directory (Low level directory)
      Good directory will 'help' Search engine to list the site in their 'appropriate place'. It is up to SE to decide whether the site is really high quality or not.
      Bad directory will make Search Engine think the links (and the sites) were having low quality and should not being ranked high in SERP.
    5. There are so many respected member in DP which own 'Very high quality directory'. It is wise not to say 'directory is dead' because it is only 'bad directory' which is 'dead'. Instead of saying 'directory is dead', we could say: "High Quality Directory is alive and working great" while "Bad quality directory is dead".
    To make it short, directory is very helpful because it help both visitors and bots get the right sites on each category. However, Both SE and Human have their own algorithm to value each directory and links on it. using directory is just like using knife in daily activities. If we use it properly as per instruction, we can use it to cut vegetables and fruits. But, if we use it 'inappropriately', the knife may cut our finger. I remember creating short post about it in 'About Directory Submission'.
    As always, this is just my plain opinion. Don't quote me on it. I'm not the right person to discuss about it. I encourage to discuss about directory with SE team engineer if we would like to know the relation between Rank and directory. :)

Arick unirow, Aug 30, 2013 IP
    arrisweb and sunilmamo like this.
  15. ad2310

ad2310 Active Member

Best Answers:
    A few moths ago we have been penalized by google and our traffic dropped by 40%, we've received an email from google stating
    "Unnatural inbound links
    We've detected that some of the links pointing to your site are using techniques outside Google's ......"

After google released their new "Manual Actions" feature in GWT we had two directories listed under "Some incoming links. Examples:" Two days ago the links were updated and now we have a new directory listed as an example of unnatural links. If someone wants to see the screenshot, feel free to contact me and I'll send it to you. So as you see google considers directory links as unnatural links.

ad2310, Aug 31, 2013 IP
  16. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe you did not submit to cheap directories, but it's pretty obvious you were chasing pagerank. A quality directory will not be deindexed because they have some integrity. It sounds like the directories you used were either part of the pagerank hacking network or just plain pump and dump pagerank mills. Regardless, your experience may be a good lesson to help you refine your judgement so that you are not blinded by a green bar next time.

snowbird, Aug 31, 2013 IP
    Mia, sunilmamo and Arick unirow like this.
  17. taktikz

taktikz Active Member

Best Answers:
    Directory submissions may not be dead, but spamming is.

taktikz, Sep 1, 2013 IP
  18. Antonio

Antonio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google wants to tell you there is no easy money.

Antonio, Sep 3, 2013 IP
  19. Shole93

Shole93 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Still works but you cant just go and spam any directory. You need to chose it wise now :D

Shole93, Sep 3, 2013 IP
    sunilmamo likes this.
  20. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Well then, therein lies your problem (as other's have said).

Looks like you paid for expensive LINKS and not a listing fee in an actual directory.

You really do pay for what you get. Those directories with the LARGE link fees, more often than not are charging you to pass PR, not traffic. When you pay large fees for LINKS it really looks like you are buying LINKS and LINK JUICE! I can certainly see now why you've had issues.

Don't be fooled by the lower fees in reputable directories. They are designed to cover costs for review time, not to guarantee passing PR.

Mia, Sep 3, 2013 IP
    Arick unirow likes this.