1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Advice on how someone who is relatively inexperienced can quickly grasp Photoshop and indesign.

Discussion in 'Graphics & Multimedia' started by wheelstb, Aug 17, 2013.

I have a second job interview coming up two Monday's from now. They want someone who is experienced with indesign and Photoshop. They want someone who can create brochures and flyers and different business literature like that.
    I have very limited experience with Photoshop but I would like to be able to put together a portfolio for them showing that I have some creative graphic ability. Obviously I have quite a bit of work to do.

My plan was to watch a lot of YouTube videos and try to work along with them. Does anyone have any better advice when it comes to quickly learning indesign and Photoshop in regards to making brochures and flyers?

I know I can't master it in one day, I just need to be able to demonstrate that I have a solid foundation.

wheelstb, Aug 17, 2013 IP
  2. kete

kete Active Member

Best Answers:
    I grew up copying others' designs. I know, it's not good, but it's one of the best ways to learn to produce high quality content. Learn from professionals, try to recreate their designs, and focus on what they focus on. Behance and Dribbble are such great websites for design inspiration. Take a look at them, find any designs you like, and put hands on work.

But obviously for that, you'll need to know the basics. So watch a lot of Youtube tutorials focused on Print design and start practicing.

Good luck!

kete, Aug 19, 2013 IP
  3. wheelstb

wheelstb Active Member

Best Answers:
    Great idea thank you now, I just need to find the right kind of content to copy.

wheelstb, Aug 20, 2013 IP
  4. Kawish

Kawish Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well you are already familiar with the fact that you can't master it in one day. You need to do a lot of practice to get some skills. I would suggest you find some complicated raster work and try to create similar. Drafting is one of the most important factor in Graphics Designing, you should do some paper work as well so that you get the idea of what you are going to create. Wish you best of luck for your interview.

Kawish, Aug 20, 2013 IP
  5. urock_ltd

urock_ltd Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    you can not be master in one day, But you can be master one day.
    say yourself that you can accept challenges,
    yes, challenges like, find a picture from internet and try to make it yourself from scratch,
    start from some simple graphics.
    learn about the tools (this is most important and believe me my friend there are lot of material to give you a details about photoshop n indesign.
    Example..
    Take a picture and you want to make it BLUR?
    You dont know how to do it? go to google type how to make blur in photoshop.
    You will get it quickly and learn it.
    do it two or three times.

Since your were interested to know how to blur a picture or part of picture?
    Believe me this interest make you learn more faster..

Go ahead my friend. all best wishes with you

urock_ltd, Aug 20, 2013 IP
  6. wheelstb

wheelstb Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the advice. That's pretty much what I've been doing. Thinking of something I want to do and then using YouTube or Google to figure it out.

wheelstb, Aug 25, 2013 IP
  7. wheelstb

wheelstb Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the great advice and kind wishes.

wheelstb, Aug 25, 2013 IP
  8. wheelstb

wheelstb Active Member

Best Answers:
    My second interview has been delayed a bit as the company has gone on a temporary hiring freeze. I think my interview many coming up in a day or two. And still lacking projects for my portfolio. I have been trying to learn but haven't completed many projects.

Are there any websites that give you tutorials with project files? I have tried tuts+, but it seems like their content is designed for a Mac and I am also having difficulty getting the proper images that they use in the tutorials.

Basically what I am in need of is tutorials where the graphics and pictures are already available.
    Thank you very much I appreciate everyone's help!

wheelstb, Jan 5, 2014 IP