1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What can I do with my domain names?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by UrbanColour, Aug 18, 2013.

Hi all

I have around 40 domain names just sitting on my account and doing nothing with them at all. They have never been used

I wondering if there is anything I can do with these maybe to earn a few bob in in some way to develop a little to promote my blogs/website

What if I developed them all as blogs, basic designs with original (well, along with spun content) and used them to cross promote my main blog.

Is this even worth it?

Just seems a waste to have them doing nothing

Thanks

UrbanColour, Aug 18, 2013 IP
  2. Alin Alex

Alin Alex Active Member

Best Answers:
    Care to share what this domains are?You can PM me the list and i`l tell you witch ones to develop, witch ones to sell if any.Cheers!

Alin Alex, Aug 18, 2013 IP
  3. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    maybe post in the section under partnerships. Maybe you can find someone to work with you in building up sites and splitting profits based on time you each invest
    If you were to do everything yourself, I would think that it is better to have 4 quality sites and focus on those, rather then building 40 mediocre sites that you never have time for.

matt_62, Aug 18, 2013 IP
  4. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    You should always have plans for domains you register imho. The domain reseller market is terrible, if you don't have plans to develop the name, don't register it, and save your money. To answer your question, it would depend on the quality of the domain. If it's rubbish I would save my time and just let it drop. Pointless developing a rubbish domain.

dcristo, Aug 18, 2013 IP
    matt_62 likes this.
  5. UrbanColour

UrbanColour Member

Best Answers:
    I take your point about no buying domains without purpose but these all were to be developed and some still can be when time is found and I get more efficient at what Im doing.

I may use one or two of the domains to test the water with a couple of ideas and if these test sites look promising, maybe then I can develop them fully. It cant hurt I guess

UrbanColour, Aug 19, 2013 IP
  6. htmlindex

htmlindex Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with the above comment.

htmlindex, Aug 20, 2013 IP
  7. alex06295

alex06295 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, unless it is short, premium name, one-word name on top extension, it is hard to sell...

alex06295, Aug 21, 2013 IP
  8. Branko Zecevic

Branko Zecevic Active Member

Best Answers:
    My opinion is that you should develop them further into blogs
    if your time and budget allow it!
    Create unique content as you said and drive traffic to them.
    This will for sure increase value to those sites
    regardless of what words you used when you create your domain names.

Traffic and conversions are the most important things!

Branko Zecevic, Aug 23, 2013 IP
  9. SERPpoint

SERPpoint Active Member

Best Answers:
    Test with parking if you can earn money and recover renewal fees..

If you plan to create site then you have to renew those domains when renewals come..... so here you have to expend money...

If you are going to create websites then think of a good business and long-time business.

Or it would be better to sell at whatever prices you get.

SERPpoint, Aug 23, 2013 IP
  10. UrbanColour

UrbanColour Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks again all. Some of the domain names are simply the .co.uk version of the .com domain I wanted so happy to keep them. The others were bought to develop anf for example my domain 'your image shack' was going to be a stock image site but I guess this name could be used for a blog on images, editing tutorials etc.

I have some domains that were bought for a new angle on a dating site such as 'tag and flirt' this may need a little more thinking about to give it good content.

On parked domains, I will search about this, but my hosting plan has a section to add parked domains, how would this work and how do I make a little advertising out of it? Once a name has been used for parking and is indexed as such, does it harm it in future in terms of Google?

Thanks again

UrbanColour, Aug 23, 2013 IP
  11. superrichguy

superrichguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I do a number of things with different domains I have, do any get traffic? If they don't get much I just place a few ads on them, if they get a good amount of trickle traffic I forward them to an actual site that is in the same niche as the name.

superrichguy, Aug 24, 2013 IP
  12. Namepie

Namepie Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You Should develop a system, for eg out of the 40 you should categorize as
    • Which ones you have time to develop, You should usually develop the ones which are related to the niche you have interest in or are a part of
    • Which ones you see have a future "Big Sale" potential, You should hold on to these
    • The ones that don't fit into the above two, You should clear(Sell to the highest bidder) or drop if not sold, The money you get here, you should use to renew the domains falling in the above two for a couple of years
    IN the long run the sites you developed and the domains your holding can fetch Big Amounts

Namepie, Aug 24, 2013 IP
    superrichguy likes this.
  13. Mike2010

Mike2010 Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you are interested in blogging then you can used your domains that you have....nowadays Tech based blogs are in demand in the market, through blogging you can earn handsome of bucks.

Mike2010, Aug 24, 2013 IP
  14. UrbanColour

UrbanColour Member

Best Answers:
    In terms of site selling. I know this is going to be a kinda 'how long is a piece of string' but what value do sites attract for the options suggested and how can I think of starting to add value. Is it purely visitor numbers and ranking?

UrbanColour, Aug 24, 2013 IP