1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

You've found your voice!

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Senobia, Aug 15, 2013.

I've been lurking the Content Creation board for a while now and I can't tell you how giddy I am to see the writers of DP Forums finally standing up for themselves, their trade and their talents. Nearly every thread with a paltry offer from some buyer has several responses from writers calling them on their asinine offers and demanding a higher wage.

Keep it up! :)

And remember- if you don't value your skills, nobody else will.

Senobia, Aug 15, 2013 IP
  2. Michael Levanduski

Michael Levanduski Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've noticed that as well! I'm so happy to see it. If high-quality writers 'stick together' a little bit, we can keep the low ballers away, lol..

Plus we're actually helping those clients since when they buy low-quality content it is just a waste of money anyway.

Michael

Michael Levanduski, Aug 16, 2013 IP
  3. TextServices

TextServices Active Member

Best Answers:
    There's also the perception that some writers are coming across as a bunch of arrogant bullies. It's not reflecting well on the writers or the forum in general. The potential clients who may be willing to pay well are going to refrain from posting simply because they don't want the heat if their offer doesn't live up to a certain standard or the initial pay offered isn't what someone else thinks it should be. It's all about perception.

Since when is it our job to convince everyone else that they need to increase their budget and/or change their business model? That they should lower their expectations for the rate they are offering. Writers can post until their fingers are numb, but they will do little to change the cheap peoples minds. A skilled writer knows quality writing when they see it. The writer knows what it takes to produce quality content. Most of these low-ballers don't know the difference between quality content and just so-so, (unless the content is extremely poor quality), or what is involved in producing that content. If they can write, they wouldn't be outsourcing at such ridiculously low rates and high expectations.

The only way these people learn is through experience. Let them see what they get for their offer. Let them try whatever SEO strategy they think works.

If a writer wants to accept these jobs, then so be it. They are obviously okay with the rate and details of the offer or they wouldn't have accepted it.

Sure, I hate to see threads where someone is only willing to pay $1.50/500 words, they want a native English person, 5+ articles a day, and misc criteria like finding images or posting to ezinearticles. I see these postings everywhere, not just DP. However, it's not worth my time and effort to try and educate someone or shame them into changing their offer. It only serves to make me look horrible, (like some judgmental, arrogant, insecure fool), and is a complete waste of time.

If writers feel it is important to respond to the low-ballers with high expectations, then by all means do so. But, I'd keep in mind how you go about it and what words you choose. Some people really aren't doing any favors for themselves.

TextServices, Aug 16, 2013 IP
  4. Angelpie

Angelpie Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's not just here, it's all over. Some of my best clients have suddenly started demanding more for less. One cut pay by $6 an article, and added over 100 words to the requirements. I'm sort of stuck writing for crap money with sites that pay regularly for the next month (big bill to pay off), but once that is done, I'm going back to demanding more for my work.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
    Angelpie, Aug 17, 2013 IP
  5. Michael Levanduski

Best Answers:
    I've been steadily increasing my prices, and not having any trouble. I think it is mostly a matter of proper marketing. And, of course, having the high-quality content to demand such a price.

Michael

Michael Levanduski, Aug 17, 2013 IP
  6. Angelpie

Angelpie Active Member

Best Answers:
    Quality seems to be subjective. One client loves me, the next has editors that are abominable and ding me to death. I am featured regularly by one client, and was just fired by another because he LITERALLY said "You don't write so good," after 6 months of publishing everything I wrote on his site. Finding good clients who value your talent is not as easy as some would have you believe. I'm sincerely happy it seems to be easy for you, but I hope you are not implying that those who don't find it so easy just aren't very good writers.

Angelpie, Aug 17, 2013 IP
  7. DreamingBig

DreamingBig Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I just experienced almost the same with someone. I think that it is not about the content but about how much they want to pay for it. I would not be surprised if he fired you because he found another writer cheaper elsewhere and he will get what he pays for so in the end, it's his loss. I would not let him stop you because it sounds as if you are a good writer and more so if he published your content for 6 months.

DreamingBig, Aug 17, 2013 IP
  8. Michael Levanduski

Best Answers:
    Absolutely not, I'm sorry if it sounded that way. I actually think where 90% of the problem for good writers comes in is with their marketing skills. You really need to be able to sell yourself. I'm no expert on it, especailly compared with some of the top freelancers today, but I think I'm above average.

In addition, I think many customers will try to find cheaper writers so they drop a proven one (like you). I wouldn't be surprised if they come back in a few months after they discover that it isn't as easy as they thought to find a highly skilled writer who will meet deadlines and give them the content they need, at a low-ball price.

Michael

Michael Levanduski, Aug 18, 2013 IP
  9. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Don't assume being fired has anything to do with the quality of your work.

I had one person give me crap because stuff I was writing didn't rank well in the search engines.

He was doing no advertising and no link building; he just assumed that I was some sort of magician that would get him to the top of the SERPs through the quality of my writing. He bragged to me that he found someone who would guarantee him the top positions for all of his keywords and that they were charging less than I was. He fell for one of the snake oil peddlers. Darn. Hate when that happens. :D

YMC, Aug 18, 2013 IP
  10. Michael Levanduski

Best Answers:
    LOL. When that customer comes crawling back, make sure to raise your rates on him a little bit!

Michael

Michael Levanduski, Aug 18, 2013 IP
  11. Angelpie

Angelpie Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I'd raise my rates when he comes back too. I wish sometimes I could go black hat, but I'm too freaking honest.

Angelpie, Aug 18, 2013 IP
  12. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    He didn't come back. No loss. Probably did see increases...at first, until the other folks got his site blacklisted. bwahaaahaaa.

I almost feel sorry for folks like that. Google's made everything such a guessing game that it's no wonder small business owners fall for that nonsense. Here's one person saying, no it doesn't work that way while another promises them the moon. Though that old adage of 'if it sounds too good' seems to just not occur to them.

YMC, Aug 20, 2013 IP
  13. ArticlesUK

ArticlesUK Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I almost feel sorry for folks like that

I don't. :)

ArticlesUK, Aug 22, 2013 IP
  14. Angelpie

Angelpie Active Member

Best Answers:
    I used to see requesters on Textbroker (probably still there, but I'm not) who wanted the keyword used 6-10 times in a 250 word article. Not only is that almost impossible, it's not good SEO. When I first got there, I would try to educate them, telling them that Google would sandbox them -- even though Google swears the sandbox doesn't exist -- or ghost their entire site, but they didn't care. I'm sure they found someone desperate enough to take an hour trying to figure out how to get 3-word keyword into a 250 word article ten times for $5, but that is never going to be me.

Angelpie, Aug 23, 2013 IP
  15. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I had done some work with a website design company. One of the pieces they had given me to work on had like 15 keyword phrases they wanted "featured", like the original garbage piece the site owner had put up. And, oh yeah, they wanted it to be shorter. When I explained the math, I was left with about 50 words that wouldn't be involved with the keywords, they begrudgingly said that the list was just a guide. No, they had wanted every phrase to rank from that one page of content.

It was sickening. They were getting tons of business and yet they didn't have a clue what they were doing. They gave me a lot of work, but it got to the point where I was teaching them how to interview clients and identify what they really wanted. I asked for more money, they said no, I said goodbye.

YMC, Aug 23, 2013 IP
  16. Michael Levanduski

Best Answers:
    These types of clients are the ones who end up going with the $5/500 word writers who will promise them the world. When they fail, people think 'oh well, it was only $5' without considering the damage they have done to their site & reputation. When will people learn that paying $15-50 per article is an INVESTMENT in the long term success of their sites!

Michael

Michael Levanduski, Aug 23, 2013 IP
  17. Vlasic

Vlasic Active Member

Best Answers:
    If I may... The temptation is just too strong. I loved this one -
    "Hi Freelancers, I require article writers for different niches. Pay rate is $1.25 for an article. Pay rate will be increased within few weeks if my ranking improves due to your great writing. Happy Bidding!!"

Vlasic, Aug 23, 2013 IP
  18. TextServices

TextServices Active Member

Best Answers:
    [​IMG]

TextServices, Aug 23, 2013 IP
    Vlasic likes this.