1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

single html file including images and has no saved folder.

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by wildthing423, Aug 15, 2013.

I have a friend that is a writer. she often puts parts of her novels onto the web or short stories that are often illustrated and she posts them to her site and others for people to read and review or to just plain enjoy. they are in a single htm/html file including images and there is no folder, some how it is all contained within the web page it self. I have written her about how it was done but she hires someone to do it for her. can anyone tell me how this is done? How can I do this and save it as a single inline html file... I suck at this kind thing, seriously. Is there a software suite that can assist me in creating this inline single webpage no folder format?

mark

wildthing423, Aug 15, 2013 IP
  2. cscott5288

cscott5288 Active Member

Best Answers:
    what you are describing does not exist. image locations are specified with the "src" attribute on the HTML img entity. these locations can either be local (with the images saved somewhere on the serer) or remote with the images save on another server and retrieved via the http protocol (http://www.example.com/images/image.png). send me a link to the website and i will tell you what is going on.

cscott5288, Aug 15, 2013 IP
  3. NameNetwork

NameNetwork Active Member

Best Answers:
    post an example to be reviewed and analyzed ... but cscott's right

NameNetwork, Aug 15, 2013 IP
  4. wildthing423

wildthing423 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It can be done because I have one of her short stories I am reading now. Actually, I have 2. when you view them before opening in my documents folder they appear to end in htm and there is no folder for images. when you open it appears to be ...mhtml

wildthing423, Aug 15, 2013 IP
  5. NameNetwork

NameNetwork Active Member

Best Answers:
    external calls to images then ...

NameNetwork, Aug 15, 2013 IP
  6. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I have never heard of that! what normally happens is that they might upload the image to somewhere else (like an image hosting site) and then in the HTML file it calls to the image.

Post some of the source code for us to look at.

EDIT:
    I have seen something like this with flashwave.... where its one file and images and text are embeded into the flashwave, but thats a little different from what I would expect has been done here.

matt_62, Aug 15, 2013 IP
  7. wildthing423

wildthing423 Greenhorn

Best Answers:

After looking at this more over night 1 file appears to be mht webarchive . The only way I can see doing this natively within win7 x64 is with office/word or office/publisher that is with out the possession of some other software. how would I be able to show the source code for a document sent to me ? Like I said...I suck at these things but I do want to figure out how to do this natively in windows.

wildthing423, Aug 16, 2013 IP
  8. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    well, to be honest I have never heard of that before. There seems to be quite a few resources available from google.

source: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=1005120802696

(I have NFID if this will solve your problems, it just seemed to be one of the best results that I found).

When you do it, please let us know how you did it and how you went with it. Goodluck

matt_62, Aug 16, 2013 IP
  9. cscott5288

cscott5288 Active Member

Best Answers:
    basically mht is a format meant for conveniently saving a web page to your local machine. it is NOT meant to be a file hosted on a server that visitors traffic as if it were a normal html page. it is possible that your author friend wanted you to do maintenance on it and therefore saved the web site to her machine and sent it to you, with the mistaken understanding that she was sending to you the entire website. but if you want to do maintenance on the site, you cannot do it to the mhtml file. you must go back to the original html file.

cscott5288, Aug 16, 2013 IP