1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anyone making real money with Cafepress, Zazzle, ShirtCity, etc?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Pixelrage, Feb 18, 2009.

1. dan2009

dan2009 Peon

Best Answers:
    I do not think it's a good idea try to find a niche that not saturated on the internet

dan2009, May 23, 2009 IP
  2. Platypus

Platypus Peon

Best Answers:
    Cafepress charges a whole lot for each of their items, It very doubtful anyone that uses cafepress is successful unless they have a very popular niche.

Platypus, May 23, 2009 IP
  3. ritchie111

ritchie111 Peon

Best Answers:
    I like the setup of the site below,just what im looking for well not exactly the same but a simular idea. especially where you can add the info you need added to the product of choice.
    [url]http://www.yourdesign.co.uk/personalised-mugs/standard-mug[/url]
    Code (markup):

ritchie111, Dec 27, 2009 IP
  4. ShopTeez

ShopTeez Peon

Best Answers:
    http://UTeezSF.com
    http://Zazzle.com/UTeezSF

ShopTeez, Jan 12, 2010 IP
  5. gamerfreak

gamerfreak Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ShopTeez, I have a decent collection of unique niche/novelty designs put together and a kickass domain name. Now that CafePress screwed you, where would you recommend setting up home base? In other words, where should I point my domain for promotion? Zazzle, spreadshirt, CP, ShirtCity?

gamerfreak, Jun 29, 2010 IP
  6. alfa1

alfa1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    ShopTeez, now that a year has passed, what is your current opinion about the optimal provider? How has your business changed?
    I'm interested in setting up an apparel shop to get more funding for my vbulletin forum and am investigating what provider and software to use.

alfa1, May 22, 2011 IP
  7. ShpTeez

ShpTeez Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    had to re-register.. :( In any case you are far better off using a domain for combining your shops at various PODs, this way you have the best of all the worlds of print on demand companies as well as any other affiliate business you choose to use (Amazon, etc) I used to point my domain to one POD then I got smart.. and I host wordpress which is what I use for my domain now, makes posting super quick and easy.

ShpTeez, May 31, 2011 IP
  8. ShpTeez

ShpTeez Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I typically do not push my cafepress shop BUT I have kept it because they are licensed to offer topics zazzle is not, both POD's are bringing me just about the same monthly income now, but I am seeing a monthly increase with zazzle, PLUS they are SO much easier to work with and offer a much more positive experience (which is important when you are working these full time) so I guess my suggestion is .. IF you are creating designs that cafepress has a license to sell and zazzle does not, use them for those.. and zazzle for everything else. ALSO , the forum at zazzle is 150% more helpful than that of CP..

ShpTeez, May 31, 2011 IP
  9. ShpTeez

ShpTeez Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well we have been hit by another bombshell.. at Cafepress.. on June 8 2011 we got this from CP:

Dear CafePress Member,

Thanks for helping make CafePress the world's destination for customized products. We are updating your Online Agreements. These Online Agreements will be revised effected June 23, 2011, and the material changes include:

Updates to the Content Owner Agreement (formerly Seller Agreement):
    -- Section 3.2: Content
    CafePress will retain the right to remove content from the CafePress system after 12 months of inactivity.
    -- Section 4.2: Licensing Your Content to CafePress
    (v): CafePress reserves the right to sell Products and/or Content from the CafePress Marketplace at its sole discretion for 3rd party feeds and set pricing. (vi): CafePress reserves the right to sell Products and/or Content available through the CafePress Marketplace to other retailers or wholesalers at prices determined by CafePress.
    -- Section 7.4: Processing Fees
    The processing fee (inactivity fee) is being increased from $5 to $10. If CafePress owes you accrued compensation that is less than the Payment Threshold for at least 365 days, then CafePress may send you payment of such accrued compensation minus a $10 processing fee.
    -- Section 7.6: Termination Fees
    The termination fee is being increased from $5 to $10. If you or CafePress terminate your Account, and you have less than $25 in accrued but unpaid royalties then outstanding, CafePress may charge you a $10 processing fee when sending you your final payment to cover its administrative costs.
    Updates to the Marketplace and Shop Services (formerly Seller Services):
    -- Bulk Discount
    The pricing and tiers for the Bulk Discount program have been updated.
    Updates to the language throughout all agreements including definitions and actions on Prohibited Content and Indemnification responsibilities.
    A draft of each of the Content Owner Agreement and Marketplace and Shop Services documents is available for your viewing. Thanks again for your commitment to a world of personalization. ​
    read the conversation from shopkeepers on this topic..

http://www.podforyou.com/forums/index.php?topic=2881.25

then head Straight for Zazzle with your designs

ShpTeez, Jun 14, 2011 IP
  10. alfa1

alfa1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    CP seems to go further downhill. Hopefully Zazzle and others will see their opportunity to fill the gap that CP leaves.
    Thanks for the update.

alfa1, Jun 14, 2011 IP
  11. wekop

wekop Peon

Best Answers:
    The success of a product Because it is a good product and quality.

wekop, Jun 14, 2011 IP
  12. ShpTeez

ShpTeez Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    No Problem, I hope to save someone else the heartache and hard work.

ShpTeez, Jun 15, 2011 IP
  13. mieek

mieek Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess I don't really understand the agreement... Does this mean they can sell my product to whoever they want and I won't get any compensation at all ?

Right now I only have about 15.00 ... taking me forever to get my 25.00 check... and by that time they are going to take 10 away for a processing fee ? Is this correct ? Seems a scam.. Why can't the money should just go straight to paypal as it clears...

I only have the basic shops... not sure if its even worth it... But all my designs are scans of my art and I am not sure if its even worth it at this point. The compensation is small. Should I close shop ? By keeping my stuff with cafepress do I lose rights to my designs, even if I remove them at some point ?

www.ifidrewtheworld.blogspot.com

Confused... :confused:

mieek, Jun 23, 2011 IP
  14. MitchHoward

MitchHoward Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah CP is no good. Their quality is low and their prices are high. Your better off to go through a private dropshipper for max quality and profit. I own a digital printing business were we print high quality custom tshirts. And we work with many eCommerce site owners as a dropshipper. They send us the designs, mockup the image and post it on their eCommerce site. When It sells we print it, ship it, they send us the money and keep their share. It's just like cafepress except they run their own site to build their own brand up instead of advertising cafepress... If perhaps you are interested visit our site at www.j2printoria.com and visit the "contact us" page to get ahold of us.

MitchHoward, Jun 23, 2011 IP
  15. mieek

mieek Peon

Best Answers:
    I will check it out :cool:

Thank you

mieek, Jun 23, 2011 IP
  16. MitchHoward

MitchHoward Active Member

Best Answers:
    No problem

MitchHoward, Jun 23, 2011 IP
  17. epicdomoman

epicdomoman Peon

Best Answers:
    I have just started a Zazzle store about a week ago. I haven't sold anything yet but I haven't been marketing it enough, you have to really promote your store if you want to make money. I'm not expecting to sell much but I do hope to make some money :) You can check out my store if you like by going to zazzle .com.au /inspiredesignstudio*

epicdomoman, Mar 20, 2012 IP
  18. J32

J32 Peon

Best Answers:
    Like ShopTeez, I earn a living from Zazzle alone, I sell on Spreadshirt, Skreened and a few others as well. I do NOT recommend CafePress due to their 10% Marketplace policy and stealing sales that actually come from your store by leading them to the Marketplace from there.

Making money on POD's is serious work and it is a long learning curve. You cannot expect opening a shop with a few crappy 5 minute made designs and think now I can retire from my day job. That is not going to work. I know a few people that make a living on text based t-shirts. So design abilities are not always necessary.

Also making money on POD's is getting harder by the day. Simply because those services remove designs rather quickly if they get scared it might violate trademark and/or copyrights. However it is still possible to make good money with them if you play by the rules and stick with the program. If you have a short attention span or not enough patience you will never make it.

Good luck everyone!

J32, Jun 13, 2012 IP
    daveman likes this.
  19. zachlepwner

zachlepwner Peon

Best Answers:
    I've made a total of $7 with zazzle. Designed some shirts related to an upcoming movie.

Other than that its been a deadbeat... You really have to have somthing unique, and have great exposure.

zachlepwner, Jun 13, 2012 IP
  20. anw001

anw001 Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is very inspiring. If you are not doing any paid ads or promotions, how are you selling your products? Do you have a lot of designs? Can you let us know how many designs you have uploaded in your stores?

anw001, Aug 14, 2013 IP