1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Running my online businesses from Thailand...

Discussion in 'General Business' started by AKraly, Aug 9, 2013.

I own a bunch of eCommerce stores (all of them selling for drop ship suppliers) and I've spent the past seven years living all over the states while typically working about four hours per day managing orders, building new sites and testing different traffic methods.

Anyway, about four months ago I planned my first extended trip abroad and flew to Thailand. My plan was to stay for 3 months but that's quickly been extended to "I'll be home for the holidays".

I love it here and this is the perfect place for internet marketers.

What's so great about it?
    • Fast Internet
    • Great Weather
    • Amazing Food
    • Nice People
    • Gorgeous Scenery
    • Great Culture
    • HUGE "lifestyle business owner" Community
    • Low Cost of Living
    Just to give you some ideas of the expenses out here I'm currently paying $400/month for an ultra modern condo that overlooks the city and the mountains. My building has 2 pools (one on the roof), a gym, sauna, steam room, room service, laundry service, 2 restaurants and a massage parlor. I pay $80/month for a Crossfit membership and I pay $80/month for a motorbike rental. I probably spend about $700 - $1000/month on food and entertainment but I'm not eating street food. I'm going to really nice restaurants and partying on the weekends.

Are any DP members living out here? I'm currently in Chiang Mai until late October.

- Anton

AKraly, Aug 9, 2013 IP
  2. BigDavesmile

BigDavesmile Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    wow man, I think I know you from warriorforum, you had some WSO out there for this business only, it's great to know you're living a dream life of an internet marketer man, Really happy for ya :)

BigDavesmile, Aug 10, 2013 IP
  3. BRITTANEY86

BRITTANEY86 Banned

Best Answers:
    Woow,I like this
    Its life in the first lane
    Thanks for sharing your experience over there!

BRITTANEY86, Aug 10, 2013 IP
  4. cchipster

cchipster Member

Best Answers:
    Right on! Awesome. I got a buddy over there that is a school teacher, he loves it! I always wondered why he never came back! Now I Know!

I'd consider joining you if I didn't have to ship all of my own products! haha

Chip

cchipster, Aug 12, 2013 IP
  5. SliceOfLife

SliceOfLife Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Been living in Pattaya for the past 2-3 years, but going to relocate back to the Philippines soon due to IMO more likable environment and no same kind of visa bullshit Thailand drives. Price-wise they come to pretty much the same, as apartments in PH are more expensive, but everything else is cheaper.

SliceOfLife, Aug 12, 2013 IP
  6. cronik

cronik Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I never knew Thailand was so nice and affordable, sounds like a great vacation spot to me!

cronik, Aug 12, 2013 IP
  7. AKraly

AKraly Active Member

Best Answers:
    Outsource that! I only work with drop shippers now but when I was importing from China I had everything go into Long Beach, California and I used a fulfillment center that would pick up my containers, bring them to their warehouse, unpack them, then store and ship orders for me. I ran the entire business from NY.

Haha, I thought I was coming on "vacation" too but I've spent the past month working harder than ever in a new coworking space that I found.

It's still fun because I love creating business but I also did a lot of "vacation" stuff before settling down in Chiang Mai. I don't know if I'm allowed to post links but here's my personal blog where I have pics of what I've but up to over here: http://www.antonkraly.com/

- Anton

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2013
    AKraly, Aug 12, 2013 IP
    dcristo likes this.
  8. terrymason

terrymason Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'd do some more research before you jump in. I have never been to Thailand, but here's what I'd be concerned about:
    - I've heard that corruption is a real problem there, and that bribes are pretty common.
    - How's the healthcare (if you plan to live there long term).
    - I understand that foreigners are not able to own land in Thailand (this may not be an issue).
    - What's the tax situation like?

It sounds like a fun adventure, but you should hookup with a local lawyer / chamber of commerce, etc who can give you the details.

terrymason, Aug 12, 2013 IP
  9. bluebenz

bluebenz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am very happy read your thread.. :)
    Great report..

Anyway, how many websites do you have and how much you earn monthly?

I heard a lot of good things and places about thailand, wish I can travel to Phuket and Pattaya soon..
    But not for living.. :)

Edit: I read some of your articles, great articles, clean explanation..

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
    bluebenz, Aug 12, 2013 IP
  10. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    It is a great place for Internet biz owners, a few of my friends are down there, cost of living are low compared to what they are earning. So long as you stick to the major cities, should be great but beware if going to the rural areas. The Philippines is another good location too.

wisdomtool, Aug 12, 2013 IP
  11. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Cheers for the link I was actually going to ask if you had a personal blog because this sounds precisely like what I want to do eventually (working/travelling abroad + drop shipping). I've imported from China and drop shipped before but for certain reasons went down a different path. Is where you're located a touristy spot?

dcristo, Aug 12, 2013 IP
  12. AKraly

AKraly Active Member

Best Answers:
    Honestly, I'm sure it depends where you are located but I'm from NY and I feel just as safe where I am living right now (Chiang Mai) as I do when I'm back home.

The healthcare is great, there are huge hospitals everywhere and from what I care the service is top notch. I keep myself in good health so I don't plan on visiting any of them in the few more months that I'm here (knock on wood).

I don't know the exact laws about owning land but I know a bunch of people here from the states and from Europe who own condos and houses so you can if you want to.

This is a just a six - seven month adventure for me so I haven't researched any laws regarding taxes or purchasing property or anything like that...

I own dozens of websites and I do very well. I've also built and sold multiple eCommerce stores for six figures over the past seven years, since getting started.

I know a bunch of people in the Philippines as well. I'm working a big project here now but once I'm done I plan on visiting a few of the bigger cities over there and meeting with some internet marketers who are based there. Most of them run outsourcing companies because the cost of (quality) labor is so affordable.

- Anton

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
    AKraly, Aug 12, 2013 IP
  13. AKraly

AKraly Active Member

Best Answers:
    A lot of tourists come up to Chiang Mai for a week or so when backpacking Thailand... there are a lot of trekking tours up here, rafting tours, elephant parks, and things like that all about 30 minutes outside of the main city. There's a night train from Bangkok and you can also get a $50 flight with AirAsia (great airline).

The area that I live in is about 5 minutes from the main touristy area and I love it here. It's where the coworking space is and it's surrounded with good coffee shops and restaurants. I wouldn't live here forever but for a year or so it's perfect. I'd say this is an ideal place for anyone working hard on a new business or trying to expand a current one. I'm getting more work done than ever before and connecting with entrepreneurs from around the world.

AKraly, Aug 12, 2013 IP
  14. cchipster

cchipster Member

Best Answers:

That's awesome on the outsourcing thing. I have honestly never looked into it. Was always under the impression is too expensive? My operation is pretty small at this point. Shipping only about 10 packages a day...

cchipster, Aug 12, 2013 IP
  15. AKraly

AKraly Active Member

Best Answers:
    I guess it depends on your price point... when I was using a fulfillment center I was only shipping 3 - 5 orders per day but my average sale price was ~$1,000.

I think Amazon has fulfillment plans that scale with almost any size company though: http://services.amazon.com/content/fulfillment-by-amazon.htm

AKraly, Aug 12, 2013 IP
  16. SliceOfLife

SliceOfLife Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Foreigners can own up to 49% of condos in, uh, condos (?) - that's not an issue, but you cannot own the land under your house, that needs to be in the name of either a local or your company. Now I'm not a lawyer, but IIRC the company needs to also be mostly Thai owned, so there's no way to actually own land in full in Thailand. Most of the land is on 10-30+ years lease anyways, but I have no clue how well does that work anyway.

Just some semi-useless input from someone who would never want to own a place, but rather live on rent as I move so often ;)

SliceOfLife, Aug 12, 2013 IP
  17. Michael Leng

Michael Leng Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wow! I am very glad to hear that you are talking about Thailand. It's my home land. I absolutely agree that Chieng Mai province is one of many nice places in Thailand. It's at Northern, Thailand. If you like to live amid the natural surrounding, Cheing Mai is the right places you pick it.

Phuket in the South is more lively, closing to Andaman sea, mountain, and tree...But living cost is more expensive than every other places in Thailand.
    Hope you enjoy your work, trip and live there.
    Michael Leng

Michael Leng, Aug 13, 2013 IP
  18. cchipster

cchipster Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, $1,000 per sale, nice. Mine are all $100-500 range. You must be selling a much needed or niche product for people to put out a $1,000+ per sale! Good for you :) Thanks for the Amazon referral! Gonna check into that now! Will report back!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
    cchipster, Aug 13, 2013 IP
  19. cchipster

cchipster Member

Best Answers:
    Hey Anton, just checked out your drop ship book. Pretty cool...

cchipster, Aug 13, 2013 IP
  20. TonyGE

TonyGE Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yeah, Philippines is also a great country if you won't mind the politicians. LOL. Been here for over 5 years now and everything is great except the number 1 problem which is corruption.

TonyGE, Aug 13, 2013 IP