1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to get a guaranteed DMOZ listing

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Iscander, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There's no such thing as a guaranteed listing
    There's no such thing as a permanent listing
    There ain't no sanity clause :)

jimnoble, Jun 23, 2013 IP
  2. david_ben

david_ben Member

Best Answers:
    Who told you that? I have been browsing through the Freelancer sites and find tons of threads about it and the average price is 30-100$. And the bidds are not too low :)

david_ben, Jun 23, 2013 IP
  3. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well why are you asking in here in that case? You have been provided with the facts and if you wish to try and gain a listing by corrupt methods, then go ahead.....its you who pays the penalty, no one else.

snooks, Jun 23, 2013 IP
  4. david_ben

david_ben Member

Best Answers:
    Why you think that I'm using it? I have checked it today because on the other thread a user told me to look for that there. I don't get any penalty action ;)

david_ben, Jun 23, 2013 IP
  5. arrisweb

arrisweb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just like jimnoble said "There's no such thing as a guaranteed listing", it is not possible that freelancer know thousands dmoz editors. Anyway I prefer not to submit to dmoz. It is waste of time. From my submissions only 1 site from 20 was approved.

arrisweb, Jun 23, 2013 IP
  6. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Jim is a very senior editor in DMOZ, thought you might like to know that.

But even our very junior editors know that any site can be removed by an editor who has been authorised to work in that section. And every page of the directory can be edited by several hundred editors, so if a listing does not meet up to guidelines any editor working that section can simply remove it. So there is no guaranteed listings and no permanent listings either. Every edit performed on a site has recorded with it which editor performed the edit and what was actually done so edits can always be traced.

Now as to the sanity clause...Bleurbleubleubleu.

Anonymously, Jun 23, 2013 IP
  7. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's 2013

There is no reason to care for DMOZ listings since 2001. The only thing guaranteed about a listing is how totally worthless it is.

helleborine, Jul 29, 2013 IP
    gworld likes this.
  8. 24wallpapers

24wallpapers Active Member

Best Answers:
    Old toplevel domain name get easily listed on Dmoz while low level domain are hard too still there is no one can guarantee dmoz listing atleast for lifetime :)

24wallpapers, Jul 30, 2013 IP
  9. YesThatsMe

YesThatsMe Member

Best Answers:
    Well said. I really have to laugh when people still cry about dmoz. Nobody really needs this entry. I have daily 1500 visits and I am not listed there. So, who cares if one of my websites is on dmoz or not?

YesThatsMe, Jul 31, 2013 IP
  10. kirbs

kirbs Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Is it just me or is it now a waste of time being hung up on DMOZ. Submit & Forget. If it gets listed great, if not, no big deal as it is nowhere as important as it used to be. Unless of course I am missing something.

kirbs, Aug 6, 2013 IP
  11. Hungary

Hungary Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is rather irrelevant these days, methinks. Who actually uses it? And for what purpose? If you have a Google PR and good Alexa ranking, that's all you need really.

Hungary, Aug 6, 2013 IP
  12. abyse

abyse Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sad thing is that you will "never" know if your website was rejected/not listed... (Submit & Forget)

abyse, Aug 10, 2013 IP
  13. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Not necessarily true, one day the site might get listed.

But why is it sad. If the site did not meet guidelines, then usually unless they completely started again it would still not meet guidelines, so pointless information. If it does meet guidelines, then some day it will be listed. Easy to know which it will be by reading the guidelines; DMOZ editors have no magic hidden formula it says everything we work on here
    http://www.dmoz.org/docs/en/add.html.

Trouble is many site owners don't bother to read what we ask of a site, they often read people on forums like this spouting nonsense about what we ask, and when we tell them they often just don't believe us!

Anonymously, Aug 10, 2013 IP
  14. Hungary

Hungary Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is really stupid, sorry. I submitted my link TWICE already, the first time probably two years ago. Still it's not on, despite my site having an Alexa rank of 53,000. I don't think many people take DMOZ seriously anymore. The web is moving too fast ... and DMOZ is like an old car who just can't keep up.

Hungary, Aug 10, 2013 IP
  15. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I do not see how Dmoz makes any money, so therefore, why is there any rush to include any sites at all?
    or maybe you think they should fall up under your terms for inclusion into their site? After all, it is their site, their rules...
    and it seems like everyone wants to be listed with that old dog, or you would not have brought up the old car....
    and if Dmoz is not working fast enough for your time clock, then it maybe it is best for those to move on....

dscurlock, Aug 10, 2013 IP
    snooks likes this.
  16. Hungary

Hungary Member

Best Answers:
    It's not about my timeclock. I don't care about DMOZ anymore because it has become irrelevant. Nobody uses it anymore. The DMOZ listing is not even close to a resemblance of websites on the web. Tell me ... if someone is looking for some or other website, would they 1) check the DMOZ listing, or 2) just Google it?

Hungary, Aug 10, 2013 IP
  17. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I am sure a site that gets over million visitors/day is irrelevant...

sure, I can see that....

well, good luck...

dscurlock, Aug 10, 2013 IP
  18. Hungary

Hungary Member

Best Answers:
    There are plenty of sites that get over million visitors a day. In fact, dmoz.org is not even among the top 1,000 websites in the world anymore. It has an Alexa rank of 1,169. :)

Hungary, Aug 10, 2013 IP
  19. superrichguy

superrichguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    DMoz and PR are the same worthless things people always complain about. Work on your site an just be happy you have people coming to it and using it. Nevermind all this other BS...

superrichguy, Aug 10, 2013 IP
  20. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    LOL. Are you one of those who sell DMOZ listing? 1 million Indians visiting DMOZ to submit worthless sites is not a prime traffic, is it? ;):)

gworld, Aug 11, 2013 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.