1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dmoz is weird

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by dogma72, Aug 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I went to the way back machine because it seems to me if I look around DMOZ a ton of categories seem to be last edited 2010-2011 area. I found something interesting and crazy all wrapped up in one.

Feb 4th 2009...Dmoz homepage says this.

4,603,789 sites - 82,183 editors - over 590,000 categories

Jan 7th 2010...Homepage says this

4,528,416 sites - 84,688 editors - over 590,000 categories

Jan 9th 2011..Homepage says this

4,802,931 sites - 89,662 editors - over 1,003,849 categories

Jan 1st 2012...Homepage says this

4,976,587 sites - 93,429 editors - over 1,009,376 categories

Jan 3rd 2013..Homepage says this

5,114,083 sites - 96,877 editors - over 1,014,849 categories

Aug 10th 2013..Homepage says this

5,223,457 sites - 98,564 editors - over 1,019,020 categories

So from 2009-today

DMOZ has added...roughly 600k websites and 500k new categories ? Is this right ? Because it seems stupid.

dogma72, Aug 10, 2013 IP
  2. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I dont see what is stupid about it.....600K sites added but bear in mind there would have been thousands that have been removed, due to natural attrition, sites dying, closing etc.

500k new cats, thats purely because times change. Thing of how many new video games have come out, wii versions, playstations, how many new diseases have been found, how many new car brands, the car part shops that supply those parts, how many new cities and suburbs, how many schools and hospitals have been built and how many political parties have started, stopped or merged. All of these need a category so 500K new cats simply shows you the enormous task that DMOZ faces as we keep moving forward.

The Editor numbers are Editors that have been editing at some stage with DMOZ.....it is NOT the number of Editors that are currently editing.

snooks, Aug 10, 2013 IP
  3. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Perhaps you would care to explain why you think that is stupid. Snooks has explained the editor numbers situation. Do you think DMOZ editors could not have added that number, or that they have not spent a good deal of time breaking categories into smaller ones?

Anonymously, Aug 10, 2013 IP
  4. dogma72

dogma72 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Because adding a half a million categories is ignorant when the standard DMOZ editor is to say we need more editors. Do you see why adding half a million categories to people who already complain they are overwhelmed is dumb ?

So DMOZ basically doubled the categories to cover and added 12k editors. Shrewd.

dogma72, Aug 10, 2013 IP
  5. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Now how the hell do you work that out?

Mate...when there are 5-6 sites that can go into a new category, say, a new car, a Ford SUPERMOBILE....we would build the SUPERMOBILE category and list some sites. Are you suggesting that we dont build the category and put them into an INCORRECT category, on purpose, so people looking at stats (like you) are happy? Every site has its place and that place is in the CORRECT cat, wether that be existing or one that needs to be created.

There is no relationship at all between the number of cats and the number of Editors, given that many Editors can edit across an extensive range of cats. We also didnt add 12K Editors. Many editors joined and left over that period and i would assume, it equates to 12K. Remember, that total is the Editors that have participated in the project since its inception.....it is NOT the number of Editors that currently edit.

snooks, Aug 10, 2013 IP
  6. dogma72

dogma72 Greenhorn

Best Answers:

Because I looked.

Feb 4th 2009...Dmoz homepage says this.

4,603,789 sites - 82,183 editors - over 590,000 categories

Aug 10th 2013..Homepage says this

5,223,457 sites - 98,564 editors - over 1,019,020 categories

I am sorry. 16k editors and 500k categories.

Yes, they spread them thinner. That was my point. It was a pretty obvious one.

dogma72, Aug 10, 2013 IP
  7. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What i meant was how you worked out it was stupid? I cant see any difference between 1 million sites going in 100k cats as aganist 200k. You are still processing 1 million sites.

Bear in mnd we have no editing time constraints. Being volunteer based you only edit as much as you wish and each person is different and donates a different amount of time. The only people that complain about the time taken is the webmasters that have suggested a site. But as we have said before, many times, we dont provide a listing service and there is no time guaranteed for a suggestion to be reviewed.

snooks, Aug 10, 2013 IP
  8. dogma72

dogma72 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    By adding 500k categories they have made DMOZ even less efficient. No way adding more categories is going to make anything better or easier for anyone. It makes it more confusing for people looking for sites and I wonder how many people add a site to DMOZ in a category where a editor is not editing anything for years or doesn't even have an editor. Reason I am saying this is I visit a lot of webmaster forums. I would assume most decent webmasters visit many forums like this to get fresh information. There is a ton of ill will towards DMOZ and its editors around the internet in these forums. Seems they would try to be more efficient then less efficient.

dogma72, Aug 11, 2013 IP
  9. dogma72

dogma72 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Also you will say an editor has to edit 1 time every 4 months.

editor julies for example. Made no real edits to the game categories they are assigned to edit in literally years. Some as far back as 2007. This person obviously does not pay attention to half the categories they are assigned or have asked for.

They have made a few edits to some new categories.

dogma72, Aug 11, 2013 IP
  10. dogma72

dogma72 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    http://www.dmoz.org/Society/Holidays/Online_Games/

Last update: Sunday, April 1, 2001 7:31:17 PM EDT

http://www.dmoz.org/Games/Video_Games/Action/Browser_Based/

Last update: Saturday, February 12, 2011 7:03:46 PM EST

http://www.dmoz.org/Games/Party_Games/

Last update: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 11:24:12 AM EST

http://www.dmoz.org/Games/Resources/Directories/

Last update: Friday, June 26, 2009 4:50:32 AM EDT -

http://www.dmoz.org/Games/Video_Games/Adventure/Browser_Based/

Last update: Friday, April 23, 2010 11:27:39 AM EDT

http://www.dmoz.org/Games/Video_Games/Fighting/Browser_Based/

Last update: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 7:54:20 AM EDT

And many many more with this editor alone. I have a hard time believing this person is doing even a poor job , that would be far too much credit.

Categories
    • Arts/Movies/Genres/Silent_Movies (24)
    • Arts/People/L/Ledger,_Heath (12)
    • Computers/Internet/On_the_Web/Free_Stuff/Surfer_Rewards (22)
    • Games/Gambling/Contests_and_Sweepstakes (28)
    • Games/Online/Directories (9)
    • Games/Online/Play-By-E-Mail/Directories (4)
    • Games/Party_Games (139)
    • Games/Resources/Directories (3)
    • Games/Video_Games/Action/Browser_Based (57)
    • Games/Video_Games/Adventure/Browser_Based (57)
    • Games/Video_Games/Browser_Based (238)
    • Games/Video_Games/Fighting/Browser_Based (7)
    • Games/Video_Games/Puzzle/Browser_Based (182)
    • Games/Video_Games/Recreation/Browser_Based (187)
    • Games/Video_Games/Recreation/Trivia/Browser_Based (112)
    • Games/Video_Games/Roleplaying/Browser_Based (89)
    • Games/Video_Games/Simulation/Browser_Based (19)
    • Games/Video_Games/Sports/Browser_Based (42)
    • Games/Video_Games/Word_Games/Browser_Based (50)
    • Home/Entertaining (63)
    • Recreation/Antiques/Photographs (21)
    • Recreation/Food (8,174)
    • Recreation/Food/Contests (6)
    • Recreation/Food/Dining_Guides (159)
    • Regional/North_America/United_States/California/Localities/P/Pasadena (284)
    • Shopping/Antiques_and_Collectibles/Cameras_and_Photographs (42)
    • Shopping/Entertainment/Recordings/Video/Silent_Movies (2)
    • Society/Holidays/Online_Games (11)
    • Sports/Skating/Ice_Skating/Skating_Clubs_and_Rinks (117)
    These are all the categories this person is responsible for. Ridiculous. Now wonder DMOZ gets such bad press.

dogma72, Aug 11, 2013 IP
  11. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The ill will is created because Webmasters do not get what they want. Its as simple as that.....but DMOZ is not here to provide a listing service for Webmasters.

The dates shown on the bottom of the pages are not always correctly updated due to a known bug in the system.

snooks, Aug 11, 2013 IP
  12. dogma72

dogma72 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Actually most people are understanding of the enormous amount of work at DMOZ. People like jimnoble and a few others who are beyond rude and obnoxious is the reason there is ill will on my side. Nobody likes a bully and that is exactly what people like him act like. He does this on a number of forums.

Also, most people know that editors have their website on DMOZ. There are a lot of reasons.

Anyway, I was making a point that you have far too many categories, far too few editors and way too many editors who don't do diddly squat for literally years. But I go back to the entire idea of a section for DMOZ in these forums is ridiculous. It is nothing but an area for a blow up to happen. It is NEVER constructive in DMOZ section.

Here is an excellent example.

http://www.resource-zone.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=58367

If you will see in the thread Pvgool answered the question. Then a guy who only made one post about maybe getting lucky someday and the most obnoxious man on internet had to throw his two cents in. This guy is a clown of the worst kind. I cannot see why DMOZ let's this guy get away with it. He makes DMOZ look like a douche machine every single time.

http://www.resource-zone.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=58119

Again another example of him showing up and spewing more crap. The guy is a jerk and this is why people hate DMOZ. Being a jerk on one forums is suspect, being a jerk on numerous forums makes a person just sad.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
    dogma72, Aug 11, 2013 IP
  13. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I just checked this thread you linked:
    http://www.resource-zone.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=58119

I do not see anything wrong with what the DMOZ editors say. All I see a bunch of idiots posting who can't read the forum rules that they agreed to when they joined; they are posting about stuff that is well covered in the sticky's - I am surprised that they were not treated with more contempt.

Agent000, Aug 11, 2013 IP
  14. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I checked the other thread you linked. Here is what Jim said:
    What is actually wrong with that? The person he is responding to has obviously been spamming DMOZ with multiple submissions- he should be treated harshly. How do you think spammers should be treated?

BTW, you seem to find it acceptable to criticize and abuse DMOZ editors, yet seem to have a problem when you perceive that they do it? ... go figure.

Agent000, Aug 11, 2013 IP
  15. dogma72

dogma72 Greenhorn

Best Answers:

The classic DMOZ editor. Conceited, entitled and rude. Thanks.

And you know this how ? I read the thread also. I would imagine it is common practice to submit your website after 6 months. Most people don't realize it is full of a guys who were only worried about getting their own website listed.

Just as much as DMOZ editors care about the individual website, the individual could give two craps about your free time.

dogma72, Aug 11, 2013 IP
  16. dogma72

dogma72 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I am not in a position of authority now am I ? I simply pointed out the guy jimnoble is a jerk along with a few other editors and you made sure to jump in and verify my comment. Thanks.

Again this is your answer to people who might be making a simple mistake or venting frustration. You are a child.

dogma72, Aug 11, 2013 IP
  17. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    yes that is spamming DMOZ and anyone suggesting a site says that they have read the guidelines which say clearly
    http://www.dmoz.org/docs/en/add.html.

But often site owners do not bother to read what thy say they have read or just think they will ignore it! Then complain when we tell them they have spammed the directory.

If editors wish to spend their time building new categories because that is their hobby like collecting stamps or building websites, what's that to you? DMOZ dos not claim to be anything for site owners, it only claims to be a hobbyist site for people who want to build a directory according to the communities rules and that for their own satisfaction of actually collecting and collating sites. Why should someone like yourself who does nothing for DMOZ think they should have a say? If you don't like DMOZ then you don't have to use it. But usually people want to throw rocks because their site has not been listed.

Anonymously, Aug 11, 2013 IP
  18. dogma72

dogma72 Greenhorn

Best Answers:

I don't like DMOZ because a lot the editors act like entitled little douches. Get your story straight.

Also, if I act like a jerk in these forums, I only make myself look bad. I am not representing anything. You on the other hand make yourself and DMOZ look bad.

dogma72, Aug 11, 2013 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.