1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is this how you treat your editors, DMOZ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Quiver, Aug 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You obviously missed the posts above where the DMOZ editors said that it did not happen and that he probably cut and pasted the reply. Jim Noble even mentioned a case number for other editors to go and check.
    Given the OP has been exposed as a liar on his application, I am probably more inclined to believe what the DMOZ editors are saying vs what the OP posted who was deliberately trying to cheat his way into DMOZ

Agent000, Aug 10, 2013 IP
  2. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The Editor did not even realise the applicant had lied and not disclosed certain information until well after the applicants first post.....which was the cut & paste that seeming indicates that the Editor was grossly rude to him.

You dont honestly believe that any Editor would write that? I would think any person with any sense at all would seriously doubt the validity of it. It is a cut and paste job!

Anyway, the thread is not assisting anyone so i will refrain from any further posts or comments. I see no sense rehashing information that has been discussed.

snooks, Aug 10, 2013 IP
  3. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It most certainly isn't an acceptable response but it only happened in quiver's imagination, not in real life.

jimnoble, Aug 10, 2013 IP
  4. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    By an amazing coincidence (probably not), I received my first ever hate mail today.
    I never heard of this person and I can't find any trace of him in our server archives. Anybody have a clue?

jimnoble, Aug 10, 2013 IP
  5. 1337Squad

1337Squad Member

Best Answers:
    There's enough evidence on Google and numerous other sites to show that many people are dissatisfied with the responses they got from DMOZ. Do you believe these 2 editors here or the rest of the internet?

That makes his response even worse, don't you think?

After reading for a few minutes on Google and Youtube, I do believe they would write that.

I'm not even going to make a comment to this, just look at "jim noble dmoz rude" results on Google so you learn to respond in a professional manner in the future.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
    1337Squad, Aug 10, 2013 IP
  6. Arick unirow

Arick unirow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    As reader, the first thing I would like to do after reading all the comments are:
    We should go back to the real problem.
    1. OP introduced himself as a someone whom applied to be an editor of DMOZ. (Fact)
    2. His application was denied and he receive denied letter. (Fact)
    3. He posted 'the reason why the staff decline him'. (True)
    4. Later on, he claimed DMOZ's Staff to be 'rude'. (Just a claim - need verification)
    5. Someone come in and said 'staffs/editors' are 'bad people'.
    To find out the real answer, we have to eliminate number five because it is unrelated. Discussing about it would make this thread out of track.
    Lets focus on the point one till four above.
    1. Point one:OP introduced himself as a someone whom applied to be an editor of DMOZ. This is a fact. I believe all of us already understand about it.
    2. Point two:
      His application was denied and he receive denied letter. This is another fact. I believe there is no need to explain about it.
    3. Point Three:He posted 'the reason why the staff decline him'. This is what we are going to discuss. OP already shown us the reason why staff declined him. We can see Staff already tell him why he was denied and what need to be done to fix the problems.
      Please understand OP didn't ask how to fix the problem or asking what make the staff reject him. It means OP only want to share his experiences while sending the application.
    4. Point Four:
      Later on he claimed Editor to be 'rude'. It just a claim and still need verification.
      As a reader, we should understand what he think as rude.
      Rude or not, it depend on our mindset. So, I will divide this into two simple parts, Based on OP and Based on Editor. Please understand I could not read their mind so I use my common and logical sense.
      Based on OP:
      1. Denying good application is 'rude'.
      2. Denying application and adding 'bad words' is rude.

Based on Staff:
      1. Applying while 'hiding' important information is rude.
      2. Using bad grammar is rude.
      3. Describing listing just like 'promoting site' is rude.

We have to understand if OP already work really hard to be an editor. However, we should understand too if Staff didn't tolerate many simple and small things.
      By understanding both of their situation, we would be able to find out what the real problem is.
      The staff later on shown up in this thread and said the application was denied due to grammar errors, lack of skills in describing the listing and insufficient information. It was supported by evidences but still need verification.

If OP really want to make all reader believe Staff was rude, kindly forward the email to any mod in this thread. We should understand if HTML could be 'edited'. Here is an example of it:
      Snap-2013-08-10-at-12.11.47.jpg
      disclaimer: The image was edited. All information available in the picture are fake. It is edited by me and was displayed here to help people understand if html code could be manipulated.

By forwarding 'untouched email' we would understand if OP was lying or not. The problem could be officially closed after the email being verified.
    So, as reader, we should ask both parties (OP and Staff) these silly but important questions.
    For OP:
    1. Do you read the reason why the staff denied you?
    2. Have you read all of them? Any opinion why they reject you?
    3. Do you think the staff is working as expected or not?
    4. Do you honestly provide all the essential information while submitting the application?
    5. Is the comment in the footer' of your screenshot' was written by you or staff?
    For Staff:
    1. Do you think the application (sample of sites, description, etc) to be useful or not?
    2. When you gave him the reason why the application was rejected, do you think OP will understand and struggle really hard to submit application again? Any other opinion why do you reject him?
    3. Do you believe OP work really hard to be an editor?
    4. Do you think the applicant hide any essential information or not? Why do you need complete profile when anyone willing to be 'editor'?
    5. What do you think about the 'bad words' in the first screenshot by OP? is it real or not?
    Just by answering five simple question above we could settle the problem. In the end, I hope OP could be an Editor (if he really want it) while the staff could smile and continue their work. I wish them 'sleep well' and didn't woke up in the middle of the mid-night. :)

Please understand, there is no need to read or answer any questions in this post. Everyone have their freedom to do whatever they want. However, we should understand if many problem could be settled with just good communication and positive thinking. I believe DMOZ could be better with many great people working on it. OP must be really proud if he could be an editor. Staff surely need good people just like OP. Don't judge people before we fully understand about him/her. Don't judge book just by it's cover. No one prefect in this world. We may did mistakes, it is normal. What really important is: Don't do the same mistake again. OP deserve to get another chance while Staff deserve to get 'nice sleep'. :)

Think positive everyone.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
    Arick unirow, Aug 10, 2013 IP
  7. 1337Squad

1337Squad Member

Best Answers:
    I think it's best to point this out now that the email OP received is shown in the screenshot on the first post. I think you didn't see the last 3 words of that email.

8. Arick unirow

Best Answers:
    Hi mate, thanks for telling me about it. I have read the 'last three words' and that is why I'm asking whether it is real or not. Kindly see the screenshot uploaded by me and you will understand if 'html' could be edited.
    [​IMG]
    Do you think Google really said "I couldn't help you"?
    Here is the real image:
    Snap-2013-08-10-at-18.53.47.jpg
    Please check it carefully and you'll see the difference.

If we have different opinion/problem about DMOZ, it is best to create separate thread. I was writing in this thread to help both OP and Staff. I wish both of them get what they really want and smile happily in the end. To help them, we should stay focus on the problem.

I'm willing to help both of them and this is why I wish OP should 're-sent' the application (after fixing the problems) and staff would give him one more chance.
    Life could be easier and better, am I right? :)

9. Quiver

Quiver Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you don't believe me, google "jim noble dmoz rude" yourself.
    You'll see quite clearly that I haven't HTML modified the results.

Quiver, Aug 10, 2013 IP
  10. 1337Squad

1337Squad Member

Best Answers:
    If you could type that and take screenshots, I'm pretty sure you could google "jim noble dmoz rude" and find out the answer.

11. Arick unirow

Best Answers:
    Thanks for writing it my friends. I didn't say you were lying. No, accusing someone lie is considered to be 'rude'.
    About someone being rude or not, well, it is depend on situation.

Please understand, I didn't say OP was lying. However, I didn't believe the staff was 'rude' either. But don't think too much on my opinion. Why? because it just purely MY opinion. I didn't represent anyone or groups.

I see my friends already posted good stuffs in Marketplace, I would leave this thread temporary and focus on 'communication with seller'. But don't worry, I will be back in this thread again. :D

12. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You didn't; but they obviously did lie in their application --> can't trust them.

Agent000, Aug 10, 2013 IP
    Arick unirow likes this.
  13. 1337Squad

1337Squad Member

Best Answers:
    The editors haven't provided any proof of this claim except words. Withholding information is not lying, the editors are making baseless assumptions about the OP and his motives. Let's say the OP owns a house in France, and they didn't tell DMOZ, does that make them a liar? The only *actual* proof here is from the OP and Google.

14. Quiver

Quiver Active Member

Best Answers:
    I did not lie in the application. The application had nothing, whatsoever, to do with Rat Hosting.
    If I'd have been approved I would only have approved my own submission if it met their guidelines.
    Why? Because I'd know a senior editor would only remove it and fire me if I had not have done so. ;)
    The application was perfectly genuine. I wanted to help. But now...well now they can just forget it. :p
    The editors are rude, offensive, and I am going to be taking this matter to AOL and reporting Jim. :D

Quiver, Aug 10, 2013 IP
  15. Katy

Katy Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Too many reports on this thread, so I'm closing it. Guys, please, don't fight!

Katy, Aug 10, 2013 IP
    Arick unirow and Quiver like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.