1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

2 White Hat SEO lies I am sick of

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by joemyers, Jul 31, 2013.

I am sick of all the white hat SEO talk that is backed up by imagination solely.

Maybe it is not your fault. If you hang on Matt Cutts lips, then you are well on the way to ... succeed .... succeed to give up SEO and start to burn money with google adwords. Not to say, you cannot build a great business around PPC advertisement with adwords. But if you read this, you started your journey with SEO. You should stick to it and not change your business plan permanently. Otherwise you will end up burning more money than earning.

So why does white hat SEO annoy me ?

It is not white hat SEO per se, that annoys me.
    It is the talk in the countless forums, which repeats nonsense over and over again.

There a 2 myths in particular, which I want to clear here.

White hat lie number one: build backlinks manually and google will love you

That is BS! big G won't love you, if you build crappy links manually. Don't waste your time submitting every article manually. It costs huge amounts of your time and you can get slapped by G anyway, if you don't know the rules.

Backlink build tools are great and still effective after Panda, Penguin and Unicorn 3.0 updates.
    You only have to know how to use them.
    Best thing you can do: submit 95% of your links with a tool. Hugely deoptimize your anchor text. Use well-spun articles. Build links steadily and consistenly. Use various link sources (Web 2.0, articles, wikis, bookmarks) from different domains.

This will get you SEO improvements, regardless of not submitting it manually. If have seen this on my sites over and over again in the last months.

White hat lie number 2: quality content will get you rankings and make you immune to updates.

Lie.

I have ranked crap, and nearly zero content in medium competetive niches without wasting time in creating doctoral degree content of 3000 words per page. Big G is NOT intelligent. It can not understand your content. It only checks for signals, including title, meta, image alt tags, url name. Make sure to have your keyword in there. The rest of your results come from your backlinks. That's it. End of myth.

So don't waste time with crafting endless, well-thought posts. Get the keywords in the tags and get your backlinks. If you don't rank, you won't rank by lengthening and "improving" your content.

OK, quality matters in this term: user engagement. Big G can measure how your site user engage with your content. How long to they stay, and if they click through your pages. If they click away and your bounce rate stays high for months after your ranked your site, you will lose ranking. Or need more backlinks.

Quick fix: embed videos on your site. People hate reading (especially black walls of 3000 words text) and love watching. Just embed a relevant video from someone else, and make bounce rate low and increase visitors engagement.

Are there some yellow press sites you can think of? Do they have real quality content? No! But visitors are engaged. They watch and read these news because they are entertaining. Big G sees the visitors behavior and rewards the sites with good ranking. It's that simple.

Sorry for offending some people here. But that is what works for me.

I don't waste my time with pseudo quality content, but make real business.

What do you thing, guys/girls?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2013
    joemyers, Jul 31, 2013 IP
  2. GMF

GMF Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

What I think?

Yet another article from a blackhatter that is to lazy to use legit ways.

Keep on doing what you are doing, but please: keep this drivel to yourself.

GMF, Aug 1, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  3. ksbharath86

ksbharath86 Active Member

Best Answers:
    A nice post to reduce the competitors.

Here we do not build blogs or websites for google, we manage them for users. Here the google's job is to deliver the best content to the users. I too agree that google cannot judge the quality of your content, but remember the user who visits your site should come back to your site again, for which you should have good and quality content.

Here building links have been just to rank on google search engine and it is for temp use. But we need links which comes naturally, as a user I have to have a look at your post and with my willingness I have to share your site to others which becomes an in-link for you.

Start buiding the sites for users, and google naturally gives you the right reward for your effort.

ksbharath86, Aug 1, 2013 IP
  4. joemyers

joemyers Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I agree: you need good content for the users. I was a bit short on this. You want your users to return, engage and eventually develop trust and buy your stuff, follow your affiliate links or how-ever you monetize the site.

But my thread is about SEO. If you want to be successful with SEO you must know what google wants, to give it what it wants and get rewarded for it.

So: producing high quality content in the first place and waiting for the users to come in and give you their love by linking to you is a waste of time. I see many people caring for their website, falling in love with every single detail of it, installing one plugin after the other just to make another button shine as good as it gets.

Hell, you won't make money if you waste your time.

Quality for the users has its time.

But, first comes the google ranking. (If you make money with SEO). If you don't get the ranking, then no high quality content will help you. Simply because no one cares, as no one sees your site.

Again, get your on-page optimization done and good links (high PR, relevant). Then test if you can rank for the keyword. If yes, care for your content and the user.

But you can rank well without quality content in the first place!

joemyers, Aug 4, 2013 IP
  5. ksbharath86

ksbharath86 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I totally agree with you, now let's go with your point?

I am not bothered about the content, rather my aim is only to rank in google's first page, so I just need to do what Google wants. But as we all know google wants backlinks, which comes naturally, not the one which we get by using some of the tools or manually submitting for directories. By doing so you may get better SERP rankings but in future they no more work.

But if the same backlinks is from a natural source then you need not worry about the Google attacks.

ksbharath86, Aug 4, 2013 IP
  6. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    And that's precisely why the internet is so full of worthless websites — people filling the internet with "crap and nearly zero content". Are you that desperate for money?

Jim4767, Aug 4, 2013 IP
    Nigel Lew and ryan_uk like this.
  7. Shipra Mukhopadhyaya

Shipra Mukhopadhyaya Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I liked your post not because I agree with what you say. I liked your post because you have at least opened the door for discussing a great topic.

What is going now is not the last word. A future is on the road. Google may not achieved fully now what google tries now to achieve but that cannot be the point to conclude that google lies.

If you judge what is happening today without considering the past, you may not agree with me. But I am in the world of internet marketing since 1999 and I have seen lots - lots - lots of changes in the world of internet marketing.

There was a time people used to think that email marketing is the most powerful tool to promote sites and offers. Very few surfers knew the meaning of Spamming. They used to harvest the list of email addresses and upload that on their self hosted AR script and blast messages. That time we were not aware of the term "double opt-in."

What I want to say is what google set as algorithm today is the algorithm of future. Though it seems to be a big failure now.

Spamming, technically harvested contents or mechanically created backlinks may work till now but their future cannot last long. Why?

Because all like you and me don't like artificially harvested info. We all want fresh, quality and unique info.

Do you like a people who brags for own-self?

One will cater quality, fresh and unique info and the readers of that info, liking that info, will refer that info to their contacts is the ideal state of the world of information. If google want to achieve that, we cannot question that.

I do believe that that is the future indeed. We will have to be in that condition tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

Shipra Mukhopadhyaya, Aug 5, 2013 IP
    monfis likes this.
  8. TonyGE

TonyGE Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Very well said. I still believe on the legit and quality way of making website.

TonyGE, Aug 5, 2013 IP
  9. TonyGE

TonyGE Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yeah, I agree that you really need engagement to minimize bounce rate. However, isn't an engaging content part of a QUALITY content?

I agree that you can actually rank crap websites but it does not mean its a GOOD SEO. I've done it. I just installed wordpress without adding content and it's on google's first page. I didn't mean to rank it by just installing wordpress in it. It just happened so.

What happen when visitors came? Would they be happy seeing that "This is a wordpress post ..." instead of reading the real stuff they were looking for?

Well, you said your thread is about SEO. If I were to define good SEO it should be something directly proportional to long lasting if not permanent effect.

Maybe a good way to end this comment is to throw you questions. :) Having said that you were able to rank crap websites, how long do these websites on your acclaimed "good rankings"? Do these websites stand the test of google updates without the aid of quality contents? Where are these sites now? Can we check their current rankings?

TonyGE, Aug 5, 2013 IP