1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Web hosting account banned

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by MeetHere, Aug 3, 2013.

Hi DP
    need your help
    what if a web hosting company blocks my account saying "high resource usage" ?

and they dont want to refund the remaining months money.

What to do?

MeetHere, Aug 3, 2013 IP
  2. Sakary

Sakary Member

Best Answers:
    The Rule of that host write about refund or limit to use?
    if it not high price don't be care .You can tell them to open account to back up.

Sakary, Aug 3, 2013 IP
  3. tickedon

tickedon Member

Best Answers:
    I would ask them to substantiate their claim of 'high use' - ask exactly what it was, and get their logs to demonstrate this. I would open a discussion with them - if this was a one-off, for a spike of traffic, you can hopefully negotiate something for going forward.

If they can't/won't supply that, it really comes down to how much your time is worth and if it's worth getting into a potentially long debate/dispute with them! How many months did you pay in advance, and what is the total value? How recently did you pay?

If they refuse to refund and refuse to provide service, I would generally view that as grounds for a chargeback. If you paid via Paypal or similar, your options are probably more limited - Paypal don't like digital goods and disputes are usually automatically resolved in the seller's favour if they know what they are doing.

If you have any other websites, you could also ask them if they'd switch to hosting one of those instead?

tickedon, Aug 3, 2013 IP
  4. MeetHere

MeetHere Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I paid for 1 year in advance this feb, though charge is not much.
    They gave me time/warning for few days, but due to workload I was not able to solve the problem. (they dont provide logs also) and then they banned it permanently and dont want to listen also.
    They are saying I am harassing them with multiple mails/requests and that they will ban my other account also with them (which also I have paid for 1 year in advance)

and paypal will not help - i think they allow chargeback for 1-2 months only.
    Its not about money, but the helplessness we face with online transactions.

MeetHere, Aug 3, 2013 IP
  5. tickedon

tickedon Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds like a really unprofessional bunch!

I think you'll need to get backups and move to a more reputable web host - and maybe consider paying monthly/quarterly rather than for a whole year up front?

tickedon, Aug 4, 2013 IP
  6. xtragudboi

xtragudboi Active Member

Best Answers:
    You should talk to their support. Many give refunds if you cancel the account.Make a backup before you cancel. I never suggest you to pay yearly unless you have tested them for 2 months or so. Change your plan to higher level and stick to them for a year if they don't agree to refund you.

xtragudboi, Aug 4, 2013 IP
  7. Slincon

Slincon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If I were you I'd backup my other site and take it elsewhere and then submit a request for a refund.

See what their terms mention around refunds and ask politely for them to unblock your account (explain your case) - above all else, be polite and avoid accusations. See if that helps, if not you can always dial it up by leaving a review and if they're a real business (registered business or llc), then you can report them to the BBB or an ombudsman in your local state/country.

Slincon, Aug 4, 2013 IP
  8. MeetHere

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your suggestions.. I have moved to a new host.
    They are not going to refund at all.
    And if I mail them again, they are threatening me to block my other account also (that too paid for 1 year)

1 year prepaying advantage for every site is discount price.

MeetHere, Aug 6, 2013 IP
  9. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    BBB = FAIL!

The BBB is nothing more then a complaint center to get something off your chest, as the other party will then respond calling you a liar, either way, bbb is useless, nothing more then a time-waster, yes it may or may not benefit others from being ripped off, but personally, thats all you get out of BBB, and that is far as BBB goes; BBB is nothing more then report posters.

dscurlock, Aug 8, 2013 IP
  10. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    1. IF your current site uses too many resources, they SHOULD allow you to use that account for another site.. so you move the high resource site elsewhere, and you should STILL have access to your current account (makes sense to me.) If not, allow for "credit" so for your next site, they should set it up for you for free, and credit to you your remaining months.
    2. if you are using an unlimited plan, then be afraid, be VERY afraid. How much hdd / bandwidth did your site consume? Many budget unlimited companies will terminated at 1gb HDD consumption, (some at 512mb), of course, they wont tell you why, and will tell you its due to excessive ram / cpu usage.
    3. how many accounts do you have with them? why do you have multiple accounts with *these* guys? You can host them all on the one account, using addon domains. Depending on how many accounts you have with them, and cost per year, and if you really like having each site on its own cpanel account, then I would recommend you look into cheap reseller accounts, and setup whmeasybackup, and you can then do automated daily (or weekly)offsite backups of all of your websites...

Just keep in mind that everyhost has to have some limits in place (unless of course your paying for the entire server). Some sites really do need to be run on their own VPS. However, If this is a budget provider, one thing to consider is just how many accounts they need to push on a server in order to make it profitable. A company that charges $10 per month (so $120 per year) only need to have a few accounts on the server to make it profitable, hence each account would have reasonable cpu / ram limits. A budget host, that charges say $20 per year, so thats 1/6th of the above example, would then need to have 6 times the number of sites on the same server to make it profitable, and following this line of thought, each account would have 1/6th of the resources (cpu, ram) then they would otherwise have with a different hosting company.

One thing that I find disturbing is the number of kids that are under 18 that get reseller accounts and run a webhosting business. Its quite possible that you are not dealing with an adult, but dealing with some kid, that might very well terminate your accounts the next time you request support.

matt_62, Aug 9, 2013 IP
  11. MeetHere

Best Answers:
    1. they never give me such option - they just want to ban and not to listen anything..
    2. ya it is unlimited on
    3. 1 more account I have - will not renew when the date comes (and will reveal their names later) I am just afraid of loosing my account if I reveal their names ... we use different accounts for the need of diff. IP addresses - SEO strategy.

ya kids/trolls out their. I am sad we cant take any legal steps for the online transactions. :(

MeetHere, Aug 9, 2013 IP
  12. thebluelight

thebluelight Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    may i know are you using proxy?

thebluelight, Aug 9, 2013 IP
  13. MeetHere

Best Answers:
    no proxy
    just SIMPLE DEAD text wordpress blogs - no images/videos/torrent/audio etc etc

MeetHere, Aug 9, 2013 IP
  14. Sphor

Sphor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Perhaps you could ask to purchase more bandwidth? And also if you don't mind naming what host it is just so i can avoid them in the future. Thanks

Sphor, Aug 26, 2013 IP
    pawsregd likes this.
  15. MeetHere

Best Answers:
    I am afraid of naming the host
    they might ban the other account..
    will name it once I move from it ...

they just listened nothing

I am on new host since 1 month and working all good.

MeetHere, Aug 28, 2013 IP
  16. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What did you agree to when you signed up? What is in the contract?

Agent000, Aug 29, 2013 IP
  17. MeetHere

Best Answers:
    no agreement , no contract
    just i have paid till Dec 2013, so let me use that till then

MeetHere, Aug 29, 2013 IP
  18. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    well, just keep on top of your backups for all of your websites, and keep them stored locally just in case you have problems again.

make it a rule to only host with providers that have cloudlinux installed -> removes all arguments of resource abuse complaints.

matt_62, Aug 29, 2013 IP
  19. ServerDealsDominic

ServerDealsDominic Active Member

Best Answers:
    When purchasing a service you should always inquire about different situations to ensure that you are not given the axe if you happen to go over what they consider to be unlimited. Many hosts advertise certain things to draw in customers, but in all actuality they are just mere resellers and although they do not have limits, they are still limited to what their provider gives them. They often oversell their servers as well and thus if they receive a spike from a client they are forced to take them down to preserve their others. Always....Always look into a service before purchasing a long term contract.

ServerDealsDominic, Aug 30, 2013 IP
  20. MeetHere

Best Answers:
    ya it seems that's what they are doing..

MeetHere, Aug 31, 2013 IP