1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it just me or is DMOZ horrible.

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by tigrrra, Jul 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    So I've applied a few times with my site in the signature over the past year and never got accepted.

When i looked at the websites in the same category they are a bunch of junky, brackenand sometimes not working websites.

Is it just me or is DMOZ just a bunch or junk now?

Is it even worth trying to get listed? Does it still have juice?

tigrrra, Jul 27, 2013 IP
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I think dmoz should've gone by way of a classifieds. Instead having links staying up forever (which can eventually clutter any directory with non-working sites) they should've limited it to let's say 100 days. And then it will be up to you if you want to re-list your site again. As far as the juice, it probably still has some, so I wouldn't discount it altogether yet.

qwikad.com, Jul 27, 2013 IP
  3. Avener

Avener Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You do realize that it would make the editors jobs a lot harder.
    The applications already take a good 3-4 weeks to be reviewed, imagine what would happen if each listing expired after 100 days.

Avener, Jul 27, 2013 IP
  4. pupul

pupul Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I had applied once before few years. Dmoz is dead now for new entries.

pupul, Jul 27, 2013 IP
  5. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:

I was actually thinking more like this: initially, the site is reviewed and posted by an editor, then after 100 days, you receive a renewal reminder and you can just log in and renew your site for another 100 days. That way all old, non-working sites would eventually be removed from it. Renewed sites will take the same position in the listings as they had prior to the renewal.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
    qwikad.com, Jul 27, 2013 IP
    Arick unirow and tigrrra like this.
  6. mukesh4bs

mukesh4bs Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think DMOZ add links only those entries which are reffered by SEO and Backlinks agencies. Those agencies demands hundreds of Dollars for promising sure listing in their directory. I don't recommend any directory listing.....all are waste of time...

mukesh4bs, Jul 27, 2013 IP
  7. Avener

Avener Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Easiest way would be to have a script check which sites are up or not every X days.

Avener, Jul 27, 2013 IP
  8. tigrrra

tigrrra Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I like that idea something that is worth considering on my new directory project.

tigrrra, Jul 27, 2013 IP
  9. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thats fine.....but lets not forget the fact that theres probably 4.8 MILLION sites to deal with.

You dont think any of the issues could simply be too many sites and not enough Volunteer Editors?

snooks, Jul 27, 2013 IP
  10. Arick unirow

Arick unirow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is aged and respected directory. It just need well respected member to manage it. I have a feeling many editors have been retired. It is normal. They may get old or have lots of daily work to do.

If I were editor, I would deny any sites that was sent just to get link. I will only accept any site that is good, have clear contact info (verified), don't have many suspicious outbound links, No (or less) ads, aged and useful for communities. It is no point to list sites which bring no value to communities.

Don't take my comment seriously. It just my opinion.
    Be passion, I believe your site will show up once the editing has been completely done.
    About dead or not-very-useful sites, We already know domain and hosting have short life span. Just fill the report button and the site would be 're-evaluated'. Just wait the editor to view the report and it is good to go. :)

Arick unirow, Jul 27, 2013 IP
  11. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Which of the words, that you said you had read when you suggested the site did you not understand when it said
    You could well have got yourself banned forever.

Anonymously, Jul 27, 2013 IP
  12. adsenseplr

adsenseplr Active Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed. I've no respect for an organization that you can't contact in anyway, doesn't give you any feedback, updates or...well anything! I no longer even bother applying. Waste of time for questionable reward.

adsenseplr, Jul 27, 2013 IP
  13. tigrrra

Best Answers:
    Just to clarify I did not apply every 2 weeks, maybe twice over 1 year. What frustrates me is that there are broken links in the category and horrible examples that are "" my competition. Yet my kick ass website will not get accepted lol.

tigrrra, Jul 27, 2013 IP
  14. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    And do you spend 2 mins of your time pushing the "Update Listing" button so that the listing is reported and will be investigated at some stage? I doubt it :(

Your "kick ass" site may or may not be accepted at some stage, it just depends upon when a volunteer editor chooses to edit in that area and wether they use the suggestion pool or locate sites by their own methods.You should remember that we do editing as a hobby and we are not providing a listing service.
    Cheers.

snooks, Jul 27, 2013 IP
  15. Avener

Avener Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    4.8 million sites is nothing that a server wouldn't be able to take care of.
    It's only a simple request sent to the site and a slight edit in the MYSQL database based on the reply.

Avener, Jul 28, 2013 IP
  16. SliceOfLife

SliceOfLife Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is overrated junk.

SliceOfLife, Jul 28, 2013 IP
    gworld likes this.
  17. AntarcticaExplorer

AntarcticaExplorer Active Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is problem, not you. Few years ago after unsuccessful submissions of my websites, I was highly frustrated especially when I saw junk sites listed in 'my' categories. Then I read interesting thought from one SEO expert, something like: submit your website to DMOZ, and forget about it; if they accept - great; if they don't accept - who cares! move on!

DMOZ is just one of 200 or 300 things to do with website optimization/promotion... and definitely NOT highly important.

AntarcticaExplorer, Jul 28, 2013 IP
  18. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Just to be clear the guidelines that you said you had read said only submit once.

Just to be clear you are wasting valuable editor time when you do otherwise and that valuable editor time cannot be used processing links who do keep to the rules.

#adsenseplr

DMOZ is a hobby for its editors. It does not claim to offer a service for webmasters, it claims to collate data for end users, it ALLOWS site owners and anyone else to suggest sites that DMOZ might like to list it does not guarantee a listing nor does it undertake to review suggestions in a reasonable time.

What questions do you want to ask which will not also take up valuable editing time?
    Resource Zone still operates if one wants to ask questions OTHER than why is my site not listed? RZ tried that and found it a fruitless excercise. The answer is always if it is a site which complies with guidelines, it will be listed, as snooks points out above, when an editor volunteers to review that area and use suggestions as one of their resources.

Or would the question be, why has my site been rejected, well you don't know it has, but if you check DMOZ guidelines you can know for yourself if it is listable and if it is not and if it is listable, see above. If it's not listable then site owners can find that our by checking the guidelines. DMOZ editors certainly do not have the time or inclination to want to discuss with site owners why their site does not comply, if it does not.

Listable sites are not deleted or lost they wait in the suggestions pool...see above.

Both on here and RZ, DMOZ editors communicate and feedback, except as above, and it also gives out official information through its blog posts.

Anonymously, Jul 29, 2013 IP
  19. tigrrra

Best Answers:
    Oh god i did not intend to start a debate here. Can a mod close this thread. I think we are just getting all emotional here. I was just stating what we as "webmasters" people of the web are coming across.

All I wanted to say was that "if you are a editor of DMOZ" approve quality and cycle through your category make sure sites are up to quality. Some or most of DMOZ mods have no web experience and do not deserve the right to moderate. Even if they are volunteers do what they are supposed to do (Manage your Category).

If you are a volunteer and you cry about it every time, or dont want to do it, then stop doing it let someone that will be better at it do the job.

tigrrra, Jul 29, 2013 IP
  20. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google is the Alzheimer's of the internet.

helleborine, Jul 29, 2013 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.