1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What do you think about what this directory is doing...

Discussion in 'Directories' started by choice, Jul 25, 2013.

Hi guys not been around here for a very long time.

Anyway was submitting sites to a few directories when i came across this one

http://www.seowebdirectory.co.uk/submit.php

what do you think about what they are doing and are they right or wrong in doing it.

choice, Jul 25, 2013 IP
  2. sunilmamo

sunilmamo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    They are taking quite an extreme measure, if you ask me.

sunilmamo, Jul 26, 2013 IP
  3. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I think this, particularly sort of defeats the purpose of a directory:

"We will also be adding no-follow tag to all our listings."

So what they are saying is, we are NO LONGER a Directory.

Mia, Jul 26, 2013 IP
  4. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:

I see many business directory niches that are more focused on driving leads than trying to help with seo, where I think making links no follow is not an issue as long as they are actually driving leads though forms or whatever. But for this directory, which is called "SEO" directory, to no-follow links does not make much sense.

browntwn, Jul 26, 2013 IP
    Arick unirow likes this.
  5. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    NO-FOLLOW makes absolutely NO sense in any directory or search based collection of links. Actually it pretty much makes NO SENSE at all period. NO-FOLLOW is pretty much counter to what the purpose behind the internet itself it. There's really no logical or beneficial reason to use the NO-FOLLOW tag; ever.

Mia, Jul 26, 2013 IP
  6. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:

In the big picture I agree with you. It is a useless tag.

What I was trying to say was that I have seen it used in directories that are, in fact, lead generating websites so the implication that people are getting nothing from being in those directories because they are no-follow is not correct. In spite of their no-follow tags, those lead generating directories still manage to offer value for the businesses listed in them in the form of actual leads.

That being said, I would not do it on any website I own.

browntwn, Jul 26, 2013 IP
  7. suwandichen13

suwandichen13 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    actually that would bad if your website only get all dofollow that makes google label you as suspicious website, you also need seed your website with nofollow so that make your link building more natural.
    even they make nofollow tag , links still links dude even it nofollow.

reference : mattcutts.com/blogs

suwandichen13, Jul 26, 2013 IP
  8. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why would you link to a website and put a nofollow tag in front of it? If you don't trust the website, don't link to them to being with.

The directory fees are for reviewing and populating the listing information, and paying for the marketing costs of the directory itself. They're not a pay for link fee.

Nima, Jul 26, 2013 IP
    Renatus likes this.
  9. suwandichen13

Best Answers:
    even you tag link with nofollow, it's not like you don't trust them, coz we already review it before.
    if i correctly recall
    an illustration :
    do-follow = passing 2 point links.
    no-follow = passing 1 point link.

no need to scare with nofollow .better build your link with 50% (dofollow) + 50%(nofollow) << that make your website look cool dude.

10. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    No Follow was created to combat the spammers. The unexpected side effect however was PageRank sculpting.

Source: people who've been doing this longer that Matt Cutts and Google...

Mia, Jul 26, 2013 IP
    Renatus likes this.
  11. suwandichen13

Best Answers:
    so what we need to do about it? seed our website with all dofollow?
    maybe just waiting people link to us.

About PR sculpting

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  12. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Not true. If you are 'Selling' a link as advertising Google wants you to put nofollow on it. If you are not selling a link then you shouldn't.

This pisses me off on a whole different level too. Why should we be doing Google's job for them anyways? Why don't they instead come up with a way to rank websites really based on content...

Nima, Jul 26, 2013 IP
    Renatus and Arick unirow like this.
  13. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Google wants directories to follow Google's business model, but there are many business ideas that can be profitable that don't necessarily follow Google's guidelines (and other's that do). Just don't be confused and act as if Google is the only authority of the internet. The internet was created so documents could be linked together in a very free and open manner, and is still that way today. A directory is a collection of links, and the main goal if profit is of interest is to create something that others would value in some way.

Local businesses
    Adult Sites
    Video Galleries
    High PR directory to transfer google pagerank
    Facebook pages
    a niche site
    a game directory
    product reviews or listings
    Image directory

The list is endless, but it is NOT all about pleasing Google.

dvduval, Jul 26, 2013 IP
  14. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You know, Im glad this resistance towards google being the god is growing. They are increasingly using their position to push competition out and force their agenda to everyone which is not healthy for internet as a whole.

add to that the fact that they give away our private information to the government

Nima, Jul 26, 2013 IP
    sunilmamo likes this.
  15. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:

It's hard for me to call myself a google fan anymore. They do some things very well for sure, but my wish is for increased competition so google cannot dominate everything. It just isn't healthy for the internet as a whole.

dvduval, Jul 27, 2013 IP
    Renatus and Nima like this.
  16. suwandichen13

Best Answers:
    dont you think that google put a collar on our neck and treat us like they pet? lol.

suwandichen13, Jul 27, 2013 IP
  17. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    If googles business model includes displaying irrelevant results, MFA sites, dead links and virus/hacked web sites, then I guess I'm gonna have to pass.

Mia, Jul 29, 2013 IP
  18. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Unless I am missing something, how is doing what they propose in line with google's webmaster guidelines? By accepting payment, they're reviewing the site for inclusion in the directory. The directory owner is not accepting money for advertising, although really that's a secondary benefit. I think not only is adding nofollow to these links a bit excessive, they've completely missed the point of how you should be using nofollow.

IMHO what this really suggests is their past history of reviewing and endorsing low quality sites simply because they received a payment. In other words, there was a lack of editorial oversight but if they were managing the directory properly from the get go I doubt they would consider adding nofollow to their links.

That would be like writing an article and linking out to useful websites and adding nofollow to these external links. It would make absolutely no sense!

dcristo, Jul 29, 2013 IP
    Nima likes this.
  19. Renatus

Renatus Member

Best Answers:
    I think this is the correct way to go about it.

Renatus, Jul 31, 2013 IP
  20. ad2310

ad2310 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Directory links are considered unnatural links and they should be nofollow. All directories have a submission page. Whether it's paid or free link, it's been clearly posted many times that if you request your link to be listed on someones sites it's considered unnatural. In addition google released a new post today on their webmaster blog, here is the link http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2013/08/manual-actions-viewer.html, if you had a manual penalty you should be able to sample links that affect your site. I've checked two of our sites today and the links are from directories.

ad2310, Aug 8, 2013 IP